Collecting Transformers Question(s)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by stevez0r, Jul 8, 2007.

1. stevez0r

stevez0r Well-Known Member

As most you, I grow up watching and loving Transformers the cartoon and toy. Now with the movie out, I feel like a kid once again. My question is for me starting a collection from scratch (I just have Metroplex) is better for me to collection reissue transformers or shelling out loads of money on Generation 1 Transformers? I'm collecting cause I love the toys and not for money. But I'm sure the reissue's will have some value to them down the road.

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    If you're more in it for the nostalgia than the investment, reissues are a great way to go, but go japanese when you can. American reissues have some edits for safety laws, some of which (Magnus's missiles and smokestacks) hurt the figures bad. The exception is Soundwave, who's US toy is actually improved over his original with the larger cassette compartment.

3. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Omegus makes some good points about the differences between US & JPN reissues - but my advice is simple. Buy what you like and what you can afford. I like to focus my buying on the items currently @ retail. Once I've bought what I want there, if I have any extra $$ I might try and look for some older stuff at local trade shows or on eBay.

I also try to keep up w/ TFs that come out in JPN that I want as the prices usually tend to shoot up fairly quick after the items have been released. Point in case - Kiss Players Hot Rod or the Nike 7.0 FREE "shoeformers".

4. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    Reissues have value now. There are a few lines of reissues available ...

1. Transformers Collection - These are made by Takara for the Japanese market. These are known as "bookstyles" featuring Dreamwave (a defunct comic book company) art covers and pretty inserts.

[​IMG]

These started around 2002 with TFC01 Meister (Jazz). Now they range from TFC00 to TFC21.

2. Takara Reissues - These come and go randomly. They're not boxed up like the TFCs and come in a more G1 style container.

3. Japanese Convention figures - When the reissues were first being published, Japanese toy conventions would have exclusives. These were much like the Takara reissues, but made in small, tiny quantities. (1,000 or so)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. e-Hobby - These are the TFC or Takara reissues repainted or restyled in unique colors. Often, these referenced their "pre-Transformer" color styling.

black Megatron
    [​IMG]

Diaclone Ultra Magnus
    [​IMG]

5. Hasbro Reissues (aka "TRU" reissues) - These were issued state side in 2002. The first 2 rounds (Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, Rodimus Major, Starscream, and Power Master Optimus Prime) were done in a G1 style box ... pretty much identical but they don't have box flaps.

The rest of the series came in packaging very similar to the TFC line. They featured the same artwork, but had red or purple backgrounds pending on their faction. (Autobot or Decepticon)

The TRU line pissed off many collectors. Hasbro mass produced Japanese convention exclusives, with modified weapons to meet US safety standards. (Inferno, Grapple, Hoist, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Dirge and others)

The TRU line was a debauchery.
    - Price points moved, seemingly, every 2 weeks.
    - Poor distribution.
    - Poor figure selection (they'd release 3 repaints almost back to back to back ... for example, Prowl, Sliverscreen, and Smokescreen). Those were all good toys, but they're all nearly identical and clogged shelves.

6. TakaraTomy Encore - These are due out in August. 4 figures to start, Optimus Prime, Starscream, Megatron, and Soundwave.

If I were you, I'd start fresh ... here.

7. Knockoffs and Bootlegs - These are absolutely made without the concent of TakaraTomy or Hasbro. Chinese bootleggers use reverse engineering to produce some of these. They come in near identical G1 packaging with bubble ... for a fraction of the cost of an original.

The quality of the toys are .. okay. The platic is durable, but the joints are a bit wiggley on some. The sticker placement is poor on some. They're not bad though.

Known KO's include: Optimus Prime (yellow chest), OP (blue chest), OP (black), cassette packs, minibots (bumblebee, beachcomber), and Dinobot Swoop. Upcoming KO's include the Devastator giftset, Sunstreaker, Mirage, Cliffjumper, and Wheeljack.

Anyways, if you needed any other information on reissues, just let me know ... I love these damn things.

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    On the original vs reissue arguement...well that's actually a bit more simple than one would think.

Firstly, you gotta decide if you are gonna go MISB, MIB, or Loose. Obviously MISB would run you the most, and loose would be the cheaper way to go (regardless of original or reissue).

With the originals, it is gonna be a much more expensive endeavor, and personally (at least as far as G1 goes) I prefer originals MISB. With the reissues it will cost less and I wouldn't mind displaying them loose.

Yes, I know I am semi-rambling, just keep with me for a minute.

If price comes into the issue, then MISB or not go with the reissues. If price doesn't matter so much, original is best.

Yeah, rereading this....I don't even know if I touched on answering the question or not...

6. stevez0r

I was thinking of collecting the JPN reissues instead of the US. I'm also interest in Transformers 2007 Movie Toys and R.I.D. Also is there a checklist for all the JPN reissues?

EDIT: I'll look into TakaraTomy Encore also before I make head dive first. Damn and I just got a bunch things off of eBay.

7. bw_rhinox

bw_rhinox Well-Known Member

The Classics line is in the retail stores right now. You won't end up payment too much and they are a very nice toyline.

8. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Just buy what you like! Find your favorite characters and get them when you can afford them. I don't collect for investment, I collect for nostalgia and personal taste, so I actually prefer reissues rather than originals because I want to take them out, display them and take pictures for my gallery. Just don't wait to long on certain items, because they get harder and harder to get after a while.

If you ever have any questions, just ask away here in the Toyark. It's a great community full of knowledge and experience. Also check out the Junkion Exchange here. It's where members sell stuff. You caan find some really good deals if you check often.

Welcome to the boards! :) 

9. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Classics are the best! They got me back into collecting!

10. Chiben

Chiben Never Gonna Run Around...

Hey Stevez0r we can start together =). I think it's funny how I got into Transformers as I hit college last year, my friends are starting to worry about me.

11. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I agree with this answer 100%

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Encore are cheaper reissue's starting at $50.00 each if you want Leaders and Commanders.

Reissue Soundwave is at TRU if you want him,I know i do!

13. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

QFT. :) 

Yeah, collect what you like! Your post didn't give the impression that you're in it to make a living (which will never happen), but more that you're a fan looking to have some kick-ass pieces of plastic and metal sitting around the house.

You're going to have a whole lot of fun starting on this voyage, my friend. Welcome to you.

14. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    just dont go in to strong....chances are you will only have flies in your wallet left ;) 

just relax and dont get to crazy when u start.

unless your some rich dude that can wipe is arse with money ;) 

15. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    also, American Jazz re-issue holds together better than Jap Jazz

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    More to buy are Cybertron Munky Primal and Cyb.Smokescreen their shelfwarmers so they'll be around for a while.

17. stevez0r

Thanks guys for all the input. I have made up my mind I think I'm to start fresh like e3nine suggested with the TakaraTomy Encore and I might go with the Alternators.

18. MPFan

MPFan Active Member

Good choices. Hopefully if more people buy the Encore, we will get to see more of them. As for the Alternators, eBay prices are pretty crazy right now. Certain Alternators are really scoring on the secondary market. I am glad I got a couple fo the ones I really wanted a couple of months ago because they have doubled or in some cases tripled in value.

19. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    Great choice on the Encore series. The other lines are too far gone to play catch up with. I can't imagine having to locate 22 TFC figures, yet alone pay post-movie apocalypse pricing.

[​IMG]

I think you should get into the Masterpiece series too. Now is a perfect time to score an MP-05 (Megatron), MP-04 (Prime w. Trailer), and MP-03 (Starscream)