Collecting purely for fun, or value/fun?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by daytimeninja, Jul 12, 2011.

1. daytimeninja

daytimeninja Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know I have come across this issue myself as a toy collector, especially with Transformers, and that issue is do you collect solely for fun, or fun with keeping a monetary value and certainty with you collection?

I for one collect Transformers mainly for fun, with a hint of keeping a tab on my collection. Different from Star Wars (Which I'll get to later) I get to actually interact with a toy that is essentially 2 in one, all while posing and displaying them in any fashion that I feel adequate. Nothing beats actually getting to have fun with a toy.

Now I know we can all say that "I collect for fun because it's a hobby.", but there's no one out there who wouldn't like to see their collection rack up a hefty sum at an auction.

Now I collect Star Wars as well, and I would say for me it's split 50/50. I am a huge fan of Star Wars and love to see my favorite characters come to life, but I also like to see a nice, clean card go along with a figure in good condition. Not to say I keep everything in it's original packaging, (vehicles, 12 inch.) but I love to display Star Wars the way they come. I think you can get essentially the full effect of a 3.75 inch figure while it's still on the card.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I collect purely for fun. I really don't care what the monetary value of my collection is.

Please, speak for yourself. I'm not saying I would hate that, but I don't collect with the "how much could I make off of this one day" mindset. Which is, imho, a horrible way to go about collecting.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like to remain surrounded by my growing collection of minions.

That is all. :) 

4. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Anyone who collects toys for profit is doomed to disappointment imo. Vintage stuff is pricey because no one knew to collect it MISB or how popular it would be 30 years down the line. All the modern stuff popular IPs produce is manufactured in such quantities that they will never appreciate nearly as much. Especially because people ARE collecting them. Wait and see how bad vintage G1 prices nosedive when all us old dogs start dying off. You think a kid raised on Bayformers is gonna shell out for a vintage brick he has no emotional attachment to?

I buy pieces that are meaningful to me personally and that I feel enhance the aesthetics of my man cave. I don't buy nearly as much as most here, but I think that's a part of what makes each of my pieces so enjoyable.

5. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Purely for fun. I never buy a Transformer with intent to sell. If I wanted to invest in something I'd go to the stock market.

6. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    The same reasons I had in 1996, for fun.

7. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This.

8. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will sell off all the expensive pieces and only collect reissues, or exact ko, now for fun as a hobbie only. I mean whats the point of value, when these things gets reissue every couple of years, and now the ko are making the exact same toy for less. So now its purely for a hobbie. Its much more fun that way. As someone else said, I do wonder what will happen to g1 toys in the next 30 years, when us old timers dont want them anymore? Who will collect them? I dont know anything about those big gi joes from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Are those still selling? Those was our parents toys.

9. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Everyone needs a hobby right? I like Transformers, I grew up with them, and therefore collecting them is my hobby. Sure they can be sold later on in life when I grow tired of them or when I have nothing else to fall back on, but until then, they just give me something to do with my time and with the money in my pocket. Transformers are my cure to many burnt pant pockets.

10. daytimeninja

daytimeninja Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with this. There will never be another G1, so no matter how people try to advertise or use the word "variant", the figures will never be the same as the original.

I try to display my collection as well as I can, too. I find myself reorganizing a few times a week :p .

11. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Fun but I'm running out of closets.

12. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

i don't see value in these unless its kept MISB. my collection is for fun and play so i open them.

there are peeps here who keep em' MISB. those are the peeps who see value in them in the future. its a poor investment. buy a house or something.

13. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No way in hell would I be happy if I saw my collection go for a decent wedge of cash at auction. I'm damn attached to the things and if I wanted more money I'd have put the money in a savings account instead of buying awesome toys!

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I collect for fun, but I'm always aware of valuable items. I don't buy multiples of say, a Generations Warpath, and sell them for a quick profit. I would buy those for fellow collectors or trade it for an equally "valuable" figure. My intentions are never for profit, but rather collecting as a whole. Everything is in spirit of fun.

15. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    collecting for nostalgia and the thrill of getting difficult to find Vintage pieces.
    Value is secondary, and I dont ever plan on selling them.

16. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:

To collect for value you have to know what to pick up (rare) or sought after items. There are end of line figures and short packed figures that have doubled and tripled in value. You also have to know when to sell. Theres a great article about some of this in the TFWe section of the board.

I cannot buy the fact that you are just a "fun collector" after the scyther episode. You resold over 20 of them after begging people to sell you some. Sounds like you are in it for value and fun just like some us.

17. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

he sells them for quick profit. i think everyone does this anyway. peeps just don't want to say out loud in fear of peeps not buying from them. this dude got balls. there's always new peeps who get into the hobby. quick profit right there.

long term its pretty dumb.

18. boxorak

boxorak Lacking Shelf Space

for me, it's partially for fun and partially so that I can make Photocomics.

19. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Purely fun. I just enjoy seeing the figures on the shelve :) 

20. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I collect for fun. Sure I will buy an extra here or there for trading purposes if they are on clearance, but I am too lazy to turn a profit on it.

But, I can understand people who collect for value. Even with stocks, some of the simplest advice I have gotten is "invest in what you know". Well, I would venture that a majority of us (as most investors) don't really know a ton about the stock market/company valuation, etc. Most dabblers I have met bought stocks on the hype of what their friends have heard about the company, not for any rational reason. As a community, we actually have a pretty good knowledge of toys, and investing in them wisely isn't a bad idea if you have the time. Sure you are going to have your hits and misses, but with stocks/houses/any investment there is always a risk.

People who bought extra Classics figures or 3rd Party stuff to hauk don't really look like fools right now when the prices are 3-4x what they paid for them innitially. So saying people are fools for investing in toys is not really logical. We have a better knowledge of the toy market than most people, and if you are going to use that to your advantage, good luck to you.