Collecting old comics

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by SubotaiBaghatur, Dec 8, 2005.

1. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

So I picked up Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD number one today for $20. The spine has maybe 30 tiny creases and the corners are rounded but I dont care. I love picking up old comics at cheap prices that are intact. I almost bought an avengers #4 for $300 dollars that was in similar condition, but it sold before I decided I could spend that much on a comic. I figure these are better investments than new hard to come by exclusives which while rare arent especially difficult to find online.

Anyone else bargain hunt the fine / very fine categories of old comics?

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I'm not adverse to picking stuff up in middle grades for reading material if its cheap.

I wont go any lower then VF for stuff I specifically want thougth, althougth that tends not to be stuff thats old or rare enougth to cost mega money. Good copies of pre-200 claremont X-Men and the early oversized issues of TMNTv1 are my personal highlights of my collection.

3. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I used to, but that went out when funds began to decrease. Going to have to start Ebaying some stuff soon.

4. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

Pre 200 Claremont X-men is my favorite thing to collect also. I put together a pretty good run in the 130's before the first Xmen movie came out (all VF/NM). I bought most of them for 10-30 bucks apiece. Now I am getting into collecting the issues between 200-300.

5. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I found a copy of ASM 121 in the comics bin at Half Price Books when I was a kid. HPB = used book store chain mostly in the south where the price equals...half the cover price, which for a comic from the 70s was...damn cheap. Not in the greatest shape from being thumbed over a hundred times, but what the hell.

Nowadays, half the comics in the HPB bin are bagged and over the last few years, hunts there have yielded all sorts of goodies in good shape (among the metric tons of Death of Superman and Knightfall/quest stuff),
    ASM 135 (or 136?..whatever the second Punisher appearance was), NM ASM #300, several ASM in the 200-300 range, Watchmen 1 and 2, the first LXG series when it was still hot shit, the original two DH Aliens series that were all the rage 10+ years ago, X-Force #1, 80s Wolverine ongoing 1-10, the occasional Cerebus lot, and other stuff I can't even remember.
    I also raid bargain bins at local comic/toy shows for cheap mostly Spider Man and X-men stuff. Found a lot of pre 200 ASM and X-men that way, another NM ASM 252 and over a long box worth of 90s SM and X titles that probably cost in total $30-50, tops.

6. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    i used to have killer runs of Iron man (mid 100s to 300ish?) and amazing (early 200s - Bagleys 1st run) and spectacular Spiderman (80sish?- around 200) too bad i'm kinda estranged from my father, hope they didn't throw them out...

7. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Missing about 100 issues of Iron man. Got #1 for $20. Not bad condition either.
    Got ASM 121 for $15.