Collecting mood and random thoughts

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hyperoptic, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I thought I'd create a thread where we could come to express our current mood around our collecting activities.
    From expressing the euphoria of getting a new toy to venting frustrations about not being able to afford that rare one.
    Consider this place a home for your random thoughts about collecting...

2. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I'll start it off...
    Right now, I'm feeling a bit frustrated due to the fact that I'm running out of space. Since my girlfriend moved in with me, we have filled every nick and cranny of this place. I really want my collection to have it's own room! :mad 

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm really annoyed that I can't find Drillhorn and Jaguar's breastmaster weapons. its not even a money factor, if someone has one, i'll buy it but nobody has one they are willing to sell. I found a boxed Drillhorn overseas but the guy wants 160 and its yellower than a Banana.

4. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sort of all over the place.

I haven't bought any new transformers in about a month, mostly because there isn't anything available that interests me -- within my budget anyway. As much as I'd like to buy more stuff (I get antsy if I don't have something in the mail), I have to save up for a Botcon set and various upcoming 3rd party releases. Also, I've become increasingly worried about space, as I'm running out of room in my closet. Maybe it's time to start selling things.

5. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I just went through a serious re-evaluation of collecting:

After running out of display room long ago, and then running out of storage space, and not giving a damn about ROTF, everything was in a lull. From July '09 until whenever it was that Skystalker came out, the only TF-item I bought was City Commander - and it stayed in the box for two months before I opened it.

Seriously - if you keep City Commander in the box for two months without opening it, then you don't give a damn about Transformers.

In February I set out to go through and catalog the collection, with the intent to try to gain some more storage space, and maybe sell some stuff - I wanted the upcoming HOS Prime, but didn't want to put up the money for it, and just didn't have room for any more toys. I ended up being a bit more merciless than I originally intended. I sold off most of the movie and Cybertron toys, sold off a lot of duplicate Classics, and I even considered selling off the entire Animated collection.

Once I did all that (and bought HOS Prime), I realized that my collecting habits had no focus, and no goal. I wasn't collecting, I was just being a consumer, and luckily I hit the dry spell where I didn't want to buy any of the current line. Going through my entire collection of toys made me realize that, and it re-energized me to focus on being a collector; I got into collecting TF's because of specific lines and specific characters, and I had lost sight of that in the past, but now I think I'm back on track :D 

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm eager, because I have a block of time set aside this weekend to get some organization and photos done!

7. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I ama student and I dont afford the things I want......oh well only 36 items left on the g1 world for me...

8. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm trying to trim my collection, but it's hard to find anything I don't like enough to get rid of :/

I'm also trying to find a way to display more of my collection without cluttering my apartment. I only have about 6 bots out for display right now, but it would be awesome if I could display my entire RID and Classics collections.

9. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I live in the UK.

:( 

10. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't freak out G1-Junkie........ I had to make a hard decision with my collection. It was to big and needed a trim so I dumped... most of my American G1 figures. :eek: 

11. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

A few weekly ago, I cleared a large shelf that was mostly newer MISB stuff to make more space to display my older loose stuff. I got busy and I haven't done anything with it. I guess I'm in a lull because I went from planning new shelves because so much stuff was coming in to finding space for a lot of stuff and not needing the space back.

Its certainly a drought season compared to some times, but I guess that's okay because I really need to be saving for Botcon.

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

It's funny, I was going to start a thread similar to this one not so long ago.

For me, I have decided to refocus my collecting. I'm not sure how drastic a change it will be just yet, but it really all stems from watching Beast Wars for the first time recently.

Even halfway through the first season, I knew I was going to have to start collecting the figures of the show characters because IMO they are some of the best TF characters of all time (especially Rattrap and Dinobot). This was a major cultural shift for me, as I had no prior knowledge or experience of Beast Wars since it was created. In fact, I had vowed never to even go there, but for whatever reason I tried it out and now it's one of my favourite, if not THE favourite, shows of all.

...but I can't really afford to just start collecting another line on top of the ones I already do (see my collection thread http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-collection-showcase/296745-auto-morphs-collection.html). But I HAD to have the BW show character figures.

So I was forced into a complete rethink of my collecting strategy. Instead of being an obsessive completist as I had been up until this point, I figures why don't I save some money or at least spend it on the figures that I really want and will get far more enjoyment out of than a pointless repaint of something that is just going to sit on my shelf unopened, just because Hasbro released it?

In fact, I have gone even further than this. I have decided to sell off some of my collection. Mainly my non-show character boxed G1s. Again, this refocuses which figs I own along my new philosophy of show-only characters (or at the very least, ones who are significant in their respective media, eg comics).

Another positive side effect of selling off some figures is that it will also give me more room to display my collection, as I as every TF that I own is either MIB or MISB.

All in all, I reckon this will be a positive change in my collecting. It is still hard to let go of some figures which don't fit in with my new criteria but I have worked long and hard on acquiring (not to mention the cost involved).

As they say, "he who dares", I suppose...

13. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Think that's directed towards slugslinger2004..
    I'm not interested in trimming down, even if I'm running out of space...

14. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

I simply reset my focus onto a new set of goals. First I realized that a lot of the stuff I had was stuff I didn't really want. I bought all of it because it was a store exclusive, or because it looked neat at the time. Now that I've sold off nearly all of my Movie figures and most Classics/Universe and such, I'm able to focus on the figures I really want to collect. Like the G1 Japanese lines.

Over the past month I've sold nearly two hundred figures - only to replace them with three much older, rarer figures.

~Z

15. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I'm in a careful and cautious mood and i am being much more caculating than normal over my purchases.

16. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    Nice thread idea...at the moment I've slowed down, with only 2 or 3 more G1s and no other figures out now that I want. I'm more concerned with displaying what I have, maybe trimming down what I don't want (looks at Alternators), and doing a little customizing (including doing damage to Fort Max by accident). This will take plenty of time...

17. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm very anxious, excited, and annoyed. :D 

I'm anxious because there isn't anything on shelves currently I either want or don't have (except HA Mudflap, who I've yet to see, and is the only reason I'm even bothering with stopping at stores lately).

I'm excited because my birthday is exactly one week away and my mom said to get whatever I want. She doesn't know the danger of that statement. I have a mini notebook and have already filled out two pages front and back with the names of Transformers I want. :D 

I'm annoyed because just about everything on my list isn't all that cheap, and for the most part I either can't find one or can't find one that's cheap. Then again one side of a page is almost all Botcon figures. :lol 

18. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm antsy because I want to display my stuff properly but I keep pushing off buying proper shelving to show everything off so I can go out and pick up the latest figures I've changed my mind on and decided to hunt down (I've had a big change of heart over Beast Wars and the Unicron Trilogy), and a bunch of the more recent things can be a bit expensive. I've opened just about everything I own but half of my collection sits untransformed (well, the stuff that comes in alt mode) sits on the bottom of my closet (it takes up less of what little room I have left to open everything than to leave them in their boxes). I've kept inching closer to picking some shelves up...and than I rethink my stance on Optimal Optimus or Energon Galvatron or something and I'd rather hunt that down and pay for it now than wait and miss a chance at a potential bargain at that moment (I've had decent luck with some stuff) when the bookshelves will always be there. I want to get to fiddling with things and arranging displays, but I'm too busy shopping because I missed out on so much from Beast Wars up until the start of the Animated/Movie/Classics II era.

19. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Collecting mood: usually good. Currently wonders what's up with Botcon 2010 registration. Looking foward to the arrival PP-01.

20. OmniKhaos

OmniKhaos Well-Known Member

I've been in a "Combining" or "Power-Up" collecting mode for awhile now...I have a total of 5 Autobots (9 if you seperate Superion in to his individual bots), 6 Decepticons (15 if you seperate Bruticus and Devastator into their individual bots), and the Con exclusive Nexus Maximus (Prime) <---not really sure which faction he fits since he's made up of both...

Anyhow, the only thing that I'm looking forward to is the Fansproject releases - Explorer and Munitioner for Bruticus and the upgrade for Rodimus.
    With those I am happy, besides the fact that there isn't much else out there that I find appealing...not within my price range anyhow.
    At one point, I had the entire Armada, Energon, and Cybertron collection...and I also realized that I was being just a consumer and not a collector. So, I sold off almost everything that I owned at the time, re-evaluated my tastes, and started collecting again.