(-: Collecting Joy :-)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hyperoptic, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Just wanted to express my appreciation towards this hobby of ours.
    I mean, collecting just brings me so much joy, it's ridiculous.
    From the thrill of the hunt to the pose on the shelf, I just love it!
    It's kinda strange when the presence of plastic figures can actually snap you out of a depressive thought pattern and fill your heart with satisfaction.

Does collecting also bring you this much happiness?
    Or am I just weird?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. optimus12380

optimus12380 Well-Known Member

I get the same way when something I buy online arrives or if I finally find something I've been hunting down at the local toy stores. It certainly makes my day, but depending on the mood it can pull me out of a depressive state of mind as well. I don't know if it's weird, but I'm sure it's not the "norm". Thankfully my girlfriend kind of get's my toy collecting, and that's the important thing. :) 

3. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Dude, I'm the same way! It is this unexplained feeling you get, when you hold in your hands that Transformer you wanted and you were able to track down or get.

4. thedrknss48

thedrknss48 Veteran

News Credits:
    This is true for me too. A few years ago I used to collect Star Wars toys during the Revenge of the Sith line. Then Hasbro was hasbro and in their new line basically rereleased the exact same figures just in new packaging. All my "rare" figures became not-rare and I just sold them all off. At the same time I was also collecting Yu-Gi-Oh cards and Upper Deck did the same thing too. They released sets that would reprint all these hard-to-get cards! So I eventually just sold them all off before their values diminished too much. Between that time and now, I was mostly depressed. But now I just got into collecting a few Transformers (mainly the seekers) and it's a lot of fun trying to find them! I feel obsessed but in the a good way and it makes me happy to look at my seekers all posed together. At least this time these are figures I want, not just because they are "rare" or anything. I want them for my own personal pleasure.

5. bodine1231

bodine1231 Knowledge is Annoyin

For me the anticipation of getting a new figure/s in the mail is as good as the figure itself.

6. thedrknss48

thedrknss48 Veteran

News Credits:
    This too! I'm waiting for some to arrive in the mail next week! Great excitement will be had opening up that box..... :D 

7. bodine1231

bodine1231 Knowledge is Annoyin

Haha,yea. Tomorrow I've got the biggest shipment of TF's coming in (almost 20) and as cool as that is I know it won't top the excitement I have right now waiting for them. Bittersweet, as they say.

8. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Getting my new Scorponok body in the post to replace the pretty knackered one I bought with Zarak was very exciting. I love it when new ones arrive and I have to reorganise my shelves.

So if getting joy from collecting toys is weird, then I am weird! And proud of it!

9. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    I agree. It's like sex except I'm having it.

10. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Apparantly, according to my wife, I giggle and hop like a school-girl when I find a new toy I have been looking for.

11. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    short and sweet..i'm weird too then, if i see a new one at the store i don't have, its like my hands are magnets i grab it without thinking and get all excited, while my wife gets pissed and says thought you weren't buying no more for awhile. little does she know awhile in my vocab could mean tommorow if i find one i dont have

12. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    same here. and when i tear open the shipping box i have a huge smile for a few hours

13. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I share the exact same sentiments.

There is nothing like finding a figure on the shelf that you have been looking for. Or waiting to recieve a package in the mail and constantly tracking it on the internet.

If I didn't get this feeling from collecting I wouldn't collect.

And I don't think it is weird at all, different yes, weird no.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

14. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I describe collecting as a short break/distraction/escape from my responsibilities.

I have an incredible family and own a small business - all very positive priorities... but they can be an emotional drain, simply because of the amount of time and effort we put into maintaining them.

Collecting is just pure unbridled fun with no responsibility attached. :lol 

15. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm the same. Not sure if this is a joy of collectiong... I sometimes think I just like new toys.

16. BradTheMad

BradTheMad Well-Known Member

It does work wonders. I suffer from chronic pain but the day I'm getting a new figure in the mail or finally track one down in the stores the pain is less just because I feel happier. Mental state does wonders to your body, it's been proved many times. Maybe my health insurance will have to start covering for my purchases LOL Nah that would be horrible

17. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Amen! I help care for my sick mum when im not at work and collecting is my escape. Not sure if its the thrill of the hunt or the reminders of easier times, but its one of the things that gets me through.

That being said I am more a fan of getting it, rather than keeping it.

18. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Take two Targetmasters and call me in the morning.

For me, it's not the trill of the hunt (course I live in an area where the hunt is especially frustrating), for me I enjoy it more when I get a new figure. I enjoy finally opening it and discovering all of it's features.

19. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    There's nothing in the world like collecting. It's got a special place in my life for sure.

I wake up each morning and go to work, then I go to school, then I come home to find bills on the counter, but at the end of the day I always got my toy shelves!

20. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    your not alone scoring a new fig for my collection ( small but growing) always fires me up :)