Collecting International G1 Figures Advice

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by gajedi, Jul 23, 2012.

1. gajedi

gajedi Well-Known Member

Hi, I recently finished out my US G1 collection and have started down the dark path of buying Japanese and European G1. I have recently bought a complete Overlord and Liokaiser so I won't be buying anything else for awhile. Much of what I still want to obtain is extremely expensive.

My question to those who collect international G1 figures is what is the best way to do this. Ebay is extremely high and risky. Is there a better way? Just looking for advice while I rebuild my collecting funds. Thanks to anyone with suggestions.

2. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    The people that sell those really expensive Japanese figures on ebay are mainly collectors like yourself. They would definitely pack it as well as they could and offer you the safest shipping options to make sure you are close to 100% confident with your purchase. Other than Ebay, I can only suggest looking on this site for people selling those G1 figures.

3. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    good deals from fellow fans can be found on TFW if your not into Ebay.

4. Rakhamon

Rakhamon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    As the others have said, eBay sellers with solid feedback are a good bet and keep an eye on the Junkion Exchange here. I've hawked off my share of European exclusives for what I think were "reasonable" prices, and there's other people as well.

Gotta stay vigilant. :) 

5. gajedi

gajedi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's just amazing to me the price some of the international stuff goes for. I have heard before that building relationships with fellow Transformers fans helps in opening doors.

6. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am doing this as well and I have recently made a purchase through an ebay seller. My advice is take your time, check feedback, and ask lots of questions before buying. If the seller gets annoyed with you asking too many questions, then you know its time to move on to someone else. Don't rush into buying anything. Also, watch ebay to see what things will go for. I almost impulse bought something recently because I thought it was a fantastic price, but it wasn't. Make sure you read descriptions COMPLETELY. I've seen a number of sellers that will have something described as MIB, but in the description multiple pieces are missing from the figure.

You seem to only have 6 posts on TFW. I say get more involved on the boards, buy and sell items in the Junkion exchange and develop good feedback on here. There are a lot of helpful members on TFW and many will have better deals then ebay, just have to watch closely. Always check member feedback though. If they don't list a feedback link, search for them in the feedback forum before agreeing to buy anything. Good luck!

7. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've heard they are cheaper in Hong Kong and Japan. perhaps worth the investment in investigation time and plane fare to fly there and buy a bunch?

8. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 PlastiqueBoutique.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I've just made the switch to only collection G1 too. While I plan on focusing on completing US G1, there are quite a few Japanese & European figures that are on my hit list too...as a matter of fact, if the Overlord you got was from one of the recent eBay auctions, we were probably bidding against each other. :D 

The Junkieon and eBay both good options, but you may also want to look into Yahoo Japan. They only allow people in Japan to buy/bid on there, but there are a number of proxy services that you can sign up for that will let you bid under their account and ship to you once the item arrives at their location for a small fee. It can be intimidating at first, but it can be a bit cheaper than buying from a US seller, since these items were actually released in Japan. Rinkya (spelling?) is the service that immediately comes to mind, but there are others that have been recommended to me also.

EDIT: not to get too off topic, but if anyone is looking to sell an Overlord...I'm in the market for one, just PM me. :D 

9. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Here's one of my posts on another thread about this that adds to Th0r4z1n3's post:

10. Th0r4z1n3

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    ^ one thing that made Rinkya stick out in my mind was they (IIRC) had a translate function built right into their site for browsing. The descriptions can still be a bit tricky though, since the translation isn't perfect. Also searching can be a real pain in the bum, having to search through a butt-ton of results for a general "transformers" search. It can be a lot of fun though, because you'll run across figures that you totally forgot about until they show up in your search results.

I need to get on there again, and start looking for a Trypticon Jr, I always regretted not getting him when I had the chance.

11. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    Hyper's da man! :D 
    and just to add my 2 cents worth: buy whatever your heart desires, and if by all means it takes some time (like me) to acquire your G1 Japanese/ European holy grail toys, then let me just say that it is totally worth your effort searching and discovering the good and bad side of collecting these highly expensive specimens. :) 

12. Th0r4z1n3

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    We keep crossing threads on a similar subject, LOL.

Patience is definitely the key when it comes to the big ticket items, if you could just go out an buy them whenever you wanted, you wouldn't appreciate them when you did get them; the hunt is definitely a big part of the fun when it comes to these guys.

The biggest thing I can offer, which is something that I think all of us has overlooked so far, is to make sure you keep cash on hand/money in your paypal account. You never know when you're going to run across a good deal on a figure you're looking for, and if you can't act on it right away, you may miss out on it.

I remember distinctly missing out on a MISB Overlord KO on eBay a few years back because I didn't have the money on hand for it, and it was gone by the time I did get it, and it only had a BIN of $250 on it. I didn't think much about it at the time, because I didn't realize how rare it was; supposedly Alpha Base Robot by Academy (this was the KO), while not as well known, is more rare than Overlord. I think I read somewhere that there are only like 10 or so of them known to be in the collector circle.

It's easy to nickle and dime yourself with smaller/less expensive figures, and then when that grail does pop up, you won't have the money for it. I distinctly know that there are other figures on ebay right now (and in Star Saber-X's sig) that I want right now, but there is one figure that I'm gunning for right now, and nothing else is getting bought until I get this guy.

If you've finished US G1, I'm sure you already know this, but maybe it'll help someone else out though.

13. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    Damn from that linked Yahoo Japan site, there's an Unused Computron at $460 atm...Some parts are yellowed, but it's still a decent price and it looks like it has the poster too :lol 

There's also a Metalhawk at $40 MIB with 2 days left...

14. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Hyp beat me to it.

Most of the Japanese exclusiv stuff or Japanesed releses are cheaper on thiongs like Yahoo Japan and so on. Thing is that most Japanese sellers dont ship outside asia so you need a proxy bidder or someone you know that lives in the country etc etc.

15. gajedi

gajedi Well-Known Member

Thank you all. I didn't really think about a Japanese proxy.

I agree that keeping money in your paypal account is also a great option. Having paypal money put me in a position to get 4 carded Predator Jets at a great deal. But most of the time, I struggle with keeping enough money on hand for big items.
    I do tend to nickle and dime myself to death.
    I got Liokaiser and Overlord by selling huge chunks in other areas of my collecting like SW, G.I. Joe, etc.

16. Th0r4z1n3

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I think a lot of us struggle with keeping "cash on hand", I know it's something that I struggle with too, LOL. I don't know how those Diaclone and Lucky Draw guys do it.

I tend to use collection purges to pay for big items that I wouldn't normally pay cash for too. For some reason I don't tend to look at the money in my PP account as real money when it comes from selling parts of my collection, so I tend to spend it more easily on big stuff. Doesn't really make a bit of sense, but most recently it's paid for the Brave version of Grandus, Sky Garry, Count Down, an almost complete Fort Max, Mechabot-1... and hopefully an Overlord and Metrotitan in the very near future. I'm really trying to focus on G1 Base/City Bots this year.

Good luck on the hunt, hope all the info helps. :) 

17. Th0r4z1n3

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    There are definitely some deals to be found on Yahoo Japan. This thread re-sparked an interest in YJ for me and came across this:

???????*???????? ?????????G1?? - Japan Auction & Shopping Service - Japanese, Anime, Car Parts, Dolls, Robots, & Much More

I never finished setting up my account with Rinkya so I had to scramble to find somebody to middle-man for me, but I got it. :)  I took a hit on my Overlord fund, but I've been on the look out for a Metrotitan body for quite some time. I have the KO and can use the parts from that to complete the original so I'm all good there.

While I was scrambling to find a way to get this guy, I did come across some eBay Classified listings for people who will proxy bid on YJ for a small fee. I've never used one, as a board member stepped up for me, but it don't seem like a bad deal either.

YAHOO-JAPAN-AUCTION-BIDDING-SERVICE-NO-1-PROXY-SERVICE- | eBay

If anybody has any experience with any of these LMK. I'm tempted to try one, because their fees seem to be a bit less than Rinkya's. I didn't know Rinkya charged $20 to place a bid on top of the price and their percentage fee until I got someone to middle man for me on this auction.

18. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    ^ Excellent. I've favourited a Proxy service on ebay and I'll be looking for some goodies on Yahoo Japan now lmao.

19. Th0r4z1n3

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Glad I could help...just don't bid against me LOL.

Seriously though, LMK how the eBay proxy works out if you use one. I msg'd RecoveryChannel but didn't hear back from him before I found somebody to help me out. The pricing seems to be a bit more straight forward than Rinkya, and I don't have to register a credit card with them.

20. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    ^ ahahahahha. That's the same place I picked!