Collecting in College?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TedimusPrime, Jun 11, 2012.

1. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

Maybe bring a couple just to fool around with that aren't difficult to obtain. Have any new figures shipped back home. Store what you own and wait to unleash them again after schooling when you are out on your own. Reason for all this...IT'S COLLEGE!! Have fun, and do not keep your serious collection amongst the young and rowdy. It's just asking for trouble.

2. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I was still living at home with my parents while I was going to college. So I didn't have to worry about other people ruining my figures.

It never ceased to amaze me how many students I encountered in class who would be so hung over that they couldn't even pay attention in class, even during the middle of the week, who would then say to me,"You collect toys? Grow up."

3. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    A perfect occasion to yell, "What? Speak up!" right in their ear.

4. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    This is a fantastic idea. As for me, I didn't take too many with me. While in college the classics line was at work all over the place so I kept those with me. They were easily replaceable then.

5. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Full Time Toy Designer

I only live 20 mins from home, so I think I'll keep everything except for maybe some cheep figures or ones that would be easy to replace. I don't really want to keep anything out- just have a few things that I can mess with if I can find the time- to keep me sane. I guess then I'll also ship things home.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll try to keep it in mind. I'm going into a field called industrial design- and in a class of about 100 kids- 20 or more of them will be co-oping with hasbro, that's not to mention all the other toy companies they'll probably be working with. Plus the people I've hung out with seemed pretty ok that I was going into Toys- you gotta realize in ID 90% of the kids have a hardon for one thing or another (shoes, cars, cups) so while there are certainly going to be some rude kids, I think most will be ok with it.

6. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    this on all. What if you end up with a guy who hates toys and thinks your'e a weirdo for playing with 'kids' stuff? :lol 

7. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Full Time Toy Designer

How do I break the news to him? XD

8. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    tell him gently! or you could try and turn him to the' dark side' of plastic crack collecting! XD

9. Salty

Salty Fritobot

I would only bring into a dorm what I was sure I could stand to lose. People tend to have little respect for stuff that's not theirs.

Then add alcohol and adolescent idiocy to the mix.

10. Spawn77

Spawn77 U.S. Marine

I wouldn’t take and prized or extremely expensive items with you. However, I do not think you need to feel like you should hide your collecting habits. They are supposed to be adults, right? Then they should be able to respect others people’s property and hobbies. I made it through five years in the Marine Corps while living in the barracks and collecting G.I. Joe’s and Star Wars; nobody ever gave me any problems about it.

11. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm going off to college this fall too, so I'll be facing the same question. The college I'm going to in the city I live in, so it'll be pretty easy to get figures from home or to take new figures there. I probably won't be taking any until I get to know my roommate, but I'm a very proud geek and I want people to know it. I asked to be put into a substance-free dorm, so I'm hoping my figures wouldn't be exposed to intoxicated people.

12. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I didn't have too many my freshman year. One small shelf plus some in a drawer.

Last year I lived in an incredibly isolated area surrounded by friends (in a big room), so I had about 60% of my collection there and on display. Nobody messed with anything, but I also didn't have many visitors (and everyone respected the value). Shit, I even lent out a few to my one downstairs neighbor.

Moving forward, though, I'm cutting back. More because I'm losing interest than because I don't care.

That said, I go to a private liberal arts college where I'm probably a little too normal.

13. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    lol no such thing as normal im feeling the drain from collecting myself it happens form time to time but i keep on buying them because if i dont i will regreat not geting them latter battel damaged jazz........