Collecting in College?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TedimusPrime, Jun 11, 2012.

1. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Part Time Toy Designer

Well I graduated. I'm off to the University of Cincinnati for their DAAP program where, in my second year there, I'll have a high chance to work with Hasbro or, if not, Fisher Price, Spinmasters, or Tomy. Yes, I aim to be a toy designer.

This is kinda aimed at college goers that are currently collectors. What did you do? Did you bring anything from home? Did you keep any of your stuff in your dorm and how much? How did you get to stores? Did you just ship online? How did your hobby go over with your roomate? How did you manage to fund your collection?

Just general things like that.

2. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Well, considering you'll be sharing quarters with other people, I'd suggest only taking figures that are Easily Replaceable.

3. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

Having been formerly in college and or in a 'dorm-like' situation more than once, I can confirm that you should probably keep the toys to a bare minimum. That is unless you don't mind endless cajoling about how you still play with toys as an adult and/or have no probs with your fellow students picking up your toys and farting around with them. Many collectors (like myself) get kind of fidgety about others touching their stuff when uninvited to do so, and many college kids could care less about respecting another's things. They consider anything put out as handleable and therefore play-with-able. Lastly, if you're cool with the possible social shunning you may receive from the opposite sex for having various toys littering your study room space, then again, go for it.

Those things being said I'm a huge fan of letting your freak flag fly high and proud. If others don't get it or have a prob with it, so what. I'd be more concerned about having collectibles broken, knocked over, misplaced, or other such things when your roomie (and/or guests) are around.

EDIT: What StrangeGuy said^^

4. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

You should probably not forget about the figures you're leaving at home, Just in case the folks end up putting some of the "Kids toys" on Ebay or Craigslist and some lucky jerk ends up with half your crap before you even know it was gone.

5. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I was in college (graduated 2 years ago) I only shopped online, or in B&M stores in my hometown during the summer. I didn't have a car so I had to ride the bus and when you can only take what you can carry + being broke, toys were the last thing on my mind.

I did bring a couple of Mega SCF's from home to fiddle with though I'd advise against leaving anything out in the open. Drunk friends and/or drunk roommates and their friends are likely to trash your stuff.

6. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    Depending on your living conditions, you might want to keep it very minimal. If you're going to continue buying new stuff, then you really don't need to take much as your new stuff will fill what shelf/desk space you have.

If I were in a dorm with roommates coming and going, I wouldn't keep anything rare of pricy around. Too likely to get broke/misplaced even by people with good intentions. Let alone intentional damage and theft. On the flip side, if you've got an apartment with a few good friends you can trust, you can more readily put some stuff out.

All the same, don't be afraid to show off your stuff! Anyone who would mock you for it isn't worth your time anyway.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Keep your stuff at home except for what you can fit in a drawer. Space is at a premium until you can get an appartment of your own.

8. SeekerofTruth20

SeekerofTruth20 Prime of Primes

I just graduated college...over the years I would bring only a few figures, alternating them during breaks and holidays. I would also buy new figs while at school. At most I think I only had 4-6 figures at any given time on my desk at school. I will say, beware of your roommates or friends coming in and adjusting them into suggestive positions, if you catch my drift. Only bring a few, nothing expensive and valuable, and enjoy. Hahaha college was a blast so have fun! Bring your TF's, people love it!

9. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Plus you don't want any of your prized possession messed with either on purpose or accidentally, like after a night of partying.

And I would definitely not bring anything until yuo know more about your roomate.

10. SeekerofTruth20

SeekerofTruth20 Prime of Primes

QFT

11. sparkimusprime

sparkimusprime Coffee+Black=Delicious

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I'd keep it to a minimum like everyone else says. When space is at a premium, there's more important things than a few creature comforts. And if you're leaving a large enough collection with you're parents you may want to pack them securely. Make sure your folks know to leave it alone, and just in case write a note and put it in each box. Can't say I ever had a problem with anyone breaking anything. Though, I did live in an apartment. However, after I joined the Navy my quarters were pretty much that of a dorm. Still didn't have anything to worry about. Even after some drinks the figures were fine. You just gotta give whomever you're going to be living with some credit.

12. Ecmagee1984

Ecmagee1984 Big E

Ebay:
    I would keep the hard to replace at home. What you going to school for?

13. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I'm bringing only my device label stuff. I need a USB flash drive and I need a mouse for my laptop so it not really a waist of space and it useful. I'm also going for robotic engineering and want to show off stuff to other robo nerds like me. Lol

14. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd bring a handful or less and leave the rest. And I'd only bring the ones I somewhat wouldn't mind losing, just to be on the safe side. I'd just ship stuff to my house if it's near the college.

15. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

Sell everything and buy beer!!!

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i was collecting toys in the mid-late 90s at college and it got to be a hassle. headache, even.
    it's cool to have a geek pad, but pardon my cynicism here...college folks are d-bags.

people came and went ("visiting roomies") when i wasn't there, or they'd just grabbed something off the shelf and started playing with it like it was just bought from goodwill.

in the time on campus, i had to replace about 8 figures.

what i eventually did was rotate toys.
    i'd buy new figures, display em until i made a trip home and then put them on display there.

the figures i did keep on display constantly in my place were easy to maintain or keep out of sight.

17. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

I kept 1-2 toys at most at my desk. The most frequent patron was Beast Machines Obsidian, who stood next to a plush Bowser Koopa. Not surprisingly the plush Bowser got more attention; nobody knew what Obsidian was.

Also kept Motorcycle Drone on hand and carried it around campus in my pocket.

18. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    I wouldnt bring any with you reason why

it makes it harder to collect while there but if you have your own room and get a cheap cabnit then go for it i know here in new zealand space is not an issue

19. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I change my answer to this.

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Leave what you have at home and maybe keep a few fiddle bots around. I would just buy stuff from BBTS and save it in your POL until you go home and then ship it the week you are leaving,