Collecting help

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Blitz88, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Blitz88

Blitz88 Well-Known Member

Hello all first time poster just need some help on which route to go. I use to own a lot of transformers from g1 an other various lines but made the dumb mistake of selling it all. Now I'm just recently decided I wanted to get back into it but I'm having trouble which line I'd like to collect from. I like most of my collection to look or b part of same line so right now I am thinking of the prime an the foc line but don't know which one I'd get more out of that I wud like either thru the store or customs. Just like to know from the board which route u all wud go jumping back into the game with a newer line. Thanks

2. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I would not suggest collecting any of the newer lines. They might be all the rave currently, but they will faze out in time. Personally, I'd jump back into G1, especially if you already have prior experience with it. IMO, it's the only truly timeless Transformers line you can collect.

3. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Any thing worth collecting form g1 to hunt for the decepticons and the pre video game generation figures. If you a fan of g1 I suggest classics or masterpiece.

4. Blitz88

Yea I thought bout going back with g1 then I'd thought I'd look into some that we're more detailed an cud pose better. Thought bout masterpiece but they r kinda out of my price range an their isn't that many of them if I'm correct unless u go with customs right?

5. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

there are takara and hasbro versions of all except mp05 so you can double up on them for completeness, and there are more planned by the looks of things.

6. Have A Cygar

Have A Cygar Well-Known Member

Well, ultimately you should just collect what you like. But that's the pat answer.

I also just got back into Transformers collecting, and aside from my MP-01 Masterpiece Optimus Prime that I got back in '05, I no longer have any of my original collection. I grew up in the early '80s, so I definitely have a lot of nostalgia for the G1 toys, but I don't really have any desire to go back and try to re-acquire any of my old favorites.

Even when I was a kid, I was disappointed with the G1 toys. Most of them don't have any decent articulation, they're covered in stickers that peel and flake, and if you want ones that are in mint condition, you're going to end up spending a ton of money.

I decided, when I got back into collecting Transformers, that I would focus mostly on the Classics (Reveal the Shield, Universe, Generations, etc.) line. They do a good job of capturing the spirit of the G1 characters, but with a more modern design and better articulation. Some of the more difficult to find ones can get pricey, but you can still find a bunch of them new at close to retail prices. And for the most part they're good quality, especially compared to the newer Prime figures.

I also collect Masterpiece, but only from MP-10 forward (not counting MP-01), and have also dabbled a bit in 3rd party.

Hope this helps.

7. Blitz88

That's pretty much where I'm at cygar I loved my g1 tho but I don't really want to go back to it I just like to find all my favorites n better designs and I'd like to hav scale involved.

8. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Buy what you like and what makes you happy!

Me personally, I don't like the newer lines like WfC, Prime, or the movie toys.... although I do have a lot of movie toys.

I like what is called "CHUG" - classics, generations etc.... They are nicely articulated and fresh takes on old character favourites.

I love Alternators and Masterpiece toys.

Breaking from the pattern here, I really liked the Animated line. They were thoughtfully designed and stylish, but I understand how it may not fit into any collection theme... Still they are very nice toys.

Good luck!

9. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Go with the Hasbro/Takara reissues if you want to start again. Never be afraid to ask anyone on these boards before you purchase reissues and G1 figures. There are alot of fakes out there.

10. periL75

periL75 Soft Fleshy Bi-Ped

Ebay:
    Yeah I agree that the Classics stuff is a good route to go. Great updated representations of G1 characters with modern toy tech. As said above, some of the earlier stuff can be a little pricey, but you can get bargains if you keep your eye out for them (especially here in the junkion exchange, great deals show up all the time). And there are still some figs in retail stores to be found, RTS, Generations, etc.
    I'm a G1 kid and love my bricks, but I also collect the Classics (CHUG) stuff and love almost every figure they've put in this line.
    Highly recommended!

11. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just got back into collection myself back in December, so I have gone ahead and completed the Movie line and now i'm working on the classics. I like the g1's but, I like the classics better since they are more of an updated version of the g1's.

12. Blitz88

So many things I got to decide lol. I'm actually a very picky person an like them all to b out of the same line or scale that look good with eachother. Trying to find my decepticons online right now but thers only certain ones I'd care to collect.

Megs
    Starsscream
    Soundwave an minions
    Shockwave
    Combaticons
    Constructicons
    Seekers
    Astrotrain
    Blitzwing (not much modern stuff with him I c :(  )

Lol yea I think that's my decepticon list just my favorites is all I'm trying for then I'd go for the autobots.

13. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm the same, just got back into collecting transformers very recently (last month or two) and collecting in general a little less than ahead ago after about 10-12 years away from toys.

I'm pretty much going with whatever looks cool. I'm not a super nutter about completing lines, I just want a display shelf that looks badass and has some fun toys to fiddle with. I've been buying some of the prime commander and legion class figures, because they are cheap and fun to mess around with. I just started on masterpiece with thundercracker and plan to expand that, and mostly I seem to be looking at third party stuff right now.

I do plan to go back and get a few g1 stuff, mostly dinobots, but I'd say just spend a lot of time looking around online and when you see some stuff you like, look it up here on the boards, which have been very helpful to me in that regard.

Transformers is a fun line if you aren't a completionist because there are some very different and very cool stylings of your favorite characters out there.

Welcome back into the dark, evil fold as we go down this perilous path together :) 

14. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    stick with masterpiece, or to a less accurate degree, classics, but either way, you're going to pay for what you want, just the combaticons and constructicons updated will go for about $400-500 for each set.

also, scale, not going to happen

personally, i collect new and old versions of g1 characters, g1 still holds top spot for me,

15. Blitz88

Yea I'd know I'd spend that much for the combiners but to me that's worth it if it's a good model. But kinda bugs me to spend 150 on one figure even tho the masterpiece bring out the best n the old g1 toys.

16. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My view, if you are looking to get a more modern line that the vintage G1, but procure figures from a line that seems to transcend the fad of the moment like I suspect TF Prime will do, and as Animated and the movie figures have, I would go after the CHUG figures, Classics, Henkei, Universe, Generations figures are very articulated and newer iterations of the G1 line.

They are less pricey than MP line (some are) and there are plenty of figures to choose from. That would be my vote. I also like the alternators line, but they are expensive now.

17. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    When I got back into collecting I thought I would stick with vintage G1 and reissues. Then I decided to try out the Classics line and I was hooked. There really is truth to articulation adding to the fun factor. Alternators and MP's are fun too, but the releases were always so few and far between. With the CHUGs there's a ton of figures out there now to really "collect 'em all!" But not so many like with Star Wars where you would be like, I'll never be able to get them all!

18. Blitz88

Yea I think I might go with chug line. Masterpiece like u say r far n between even tho I like that soundwave coming out. Animated is too different for me. An prime even tho I like the show will not last. Hopefully the chug line keeps coming bc Id like to get all the ones I want n a certain look

19. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

By the way, welcome back... its the hobby that wont go away lol.

20. Blitz88

Lol thanks I miss it an felt stupid I got rid of them over other things I collected.