Collecting: Fork in the Road

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jetfire5, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Jetfire5

Jetfire5 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Although a taboo topic on a site dedicated to fanaticism, here's to throwing caution to the wind...

Plastic Crack. A term used to make light of my addiction. But after several overdrawn bank notices in the mail, a room stacked full of bins, not saving in a down economy, stopping too frequently on whatever channel "Hoarders" is on, and realizing I can still see Transformers being transformed without paying for it (thanks to youtube reviews by The Pride of the Common Wealth of VA & TFW's very own Peaugh *Enter Sandman Riff*), I've come to the realization that I've accumulated too much. As such, I wanted to start a thread on the subject of perspective. Where are you in terms of keeping your collection under control?

I loved gee wun; had several toys, grew away from TFs, came back with Beast Wars and the rest is ridiculous manchild history.

I've finally drawn the line at Generations Dirge (and hopefully, Sunstorm), and that's it with my decade-long financial relationship with HasTak (said it before, but never tried cold turkey - no ebay, no forums, no b&m aisle hunting, etc.). I will, however, leave the door open to Fansproject offerings.

They say "Everything in moderation...", I just want to know where a healthy place is to draw the line. Your thoughts?

2. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

I know a guy that collects cars... $200K+ cars. It's healthy for him because it doesn't affect anything else in his life... he can afford it.

Moderation is, as long as it's not taking from your life, other responsibilities.... once you cross that line, that's when you went overboard.

3. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Going overboard is when you don't know whether or not collecting makes you happy. Completely trying to quit Transformers will do you no good. You'll crash and burn, and soon enough, you're back to spending $100+ on a single toy. I'd say you should sell some stuff that you don't really care for, stuff you bought on a whim, and any doubles you have. Then set aside a couple of extra bucks each month for a toy. Limit yourself, but don't completely quit.

4. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

My collection has been cyclical in the past. I've veered wildly from being a completist for large chunks of lines, buying toys I didn't want just to have them, to only owning a couple of figures. My best estimate would be that I've owned easily a thousand or more Transformers at one point or another, but rarely more than a hundred or so at any given time. Personally, at least as an adult collector I would always start to feel uncomfortable with my collection whenever it got bigger than about 25-30 pieces at once. I know that sounds like sacrilege to a lot of people, but for me, anything beyond that point just becomes an addiction to buying new things. If I owned more than 25 toys then they'd start getting neglected...I'd buy something, transform it once, then put it on a shelf. I don't want to judge anyone, because I know that's normal for most collectors, but for me I don't like the way it made me feel. So I'd sell stuff. Then I might take some time off, but eventually I'd start buying stuff again, and the cycle would continue.

The thing I've settled into is this. I buy Masterpiece figures. And I don't even buy all of those. I didn't buy the Ghost Starscream, and have no real interest in tracking it down. I'm skipping the Movie MP stuff from Japan (truth be told, I don't like that they're just slapping the MP name on what are really ordinary Leader class toys). Since 2007, I have bought 3 Transformers for myself: The US versions of Starscream, Skywarp, and I just ordered Grimlock from toysrus.com. I have MP Rodimus preordered. On very rare occasions I might buy a Deluxe to fiddle with for a while and then give it to my kids, but I'm talking very rarely. I bought the WFC Prime a month or so ago. Prior to that the last time I'd done this was the Universe G1 Ironhide, whenever that was. 2008?

I like the designs, and the slow release schedule fits my comfort level with collecting. I'm perfectly happy buying one toy a year. Spending a hundred or two on a single figure isn't really that big a deal when that's all you spend the whole year. I own two Ikea Detlof display cases. I can comfortably fit eight MP toys in one of them (giving each of them plenty of space to pose), and I currently own five, so the space I have will easily carry me for another decade or more if things carry on at the current pace. If they ever fill up I'll reevaulate, but that's a long, LONG time from now. Realistically I somehow doubt it will ever come to that. I would be very surprised if they're still making Masterpiece toys in 2020. And honestly, that kind of appeals to me.

I'll admit, sometimes I get tempted. I'll be at the store, and I'll see something where the old collector hooks start in...like, go ahead, buy Generations Thrust, he looks cool. You love G1. Maybe if you bought that you should go back and track down the Classics and Universe stuff to go with him. And hey, maybe with your tax return next year you could even track down a Botcon Thundercracker and have all the modern G1 remake stuff. And I have to forcibly say no, I'm not going to participate in this snowball rolling down the hill. That Thrust is staying at Target for my own good and sanity.

I make no judgements or claims about anyone else. That's just what *I* feel comfortable with, for me personally.

5. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I'm looking to cut down on movie stuff. Only figures which I genuinely like or characters which I enjoy a lot. I don't want too many otherwise they may end up un-played with. ATM I'm focused on Generations.

6. knyghtmare2021

knyghtmare2021 The Goddamn Knyghtmare

News Credits:
    Well, for me, this really isn't gonna be a problem after next year. Since the Movie Trilogy is ending, besides a few figures from the inevitable TFP line, I'll be quitting after the movies. CHUG just doesn't appeal to me anymore. Maybe I'm crazy, but even the upcoming Gen. Jazz looks underwhelming.....

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Pretty much, when I need to cut back on how much I spend, I'll have to forgo buying new TFs up until I get more money. This generally means that I will be behind on collecting the more recently-released figures, but it's not like all the new toys will suddenly become rare and hard to find once I'm able to spend money on TFs again.

I've pretty much decided to focus on collecting Movie-verse, Animated, and Classics/Henkei/Universe/Generations for the time being. Once I'm done collecting Animated, and getting all caught up on Movie-verse and CHUG, then I'll probably be focusing on collecting whatever figures from some of the more older toy lines that I truly want to get in addition to collecting whatever new toy lines HasTak comes out with that I develop an interest in collecting from.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  8. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no movie toys unless they have a unique alt mode eg ice cream truck/ransack or can fit in a classics collection, the rest of the lines like pcc and prime when it comes out, anything that can't fit in my tf room will not be purchased

9. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Moderation and a good budget. We all handle collecting a bit differently. Some people need to set a guideline and stick to it.

10. collectthem

collectthem Banned

I was actually reading it untill I read "gee wun". I hate this term and I don't see why people even say it. I don't think anyone old enough to have collected original G1 in the 80s actually says it.

11. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was a completist for a little while around Classics and the first movie, but I've cut back significantly. Basically, I got to thinking that I really want to retire as early as possible; every dollar I spend is one less dollar saved and that much longer I'll have to work. But I enjoy TFs too much to stop collecting entirely, so I've just narrowed things down. Adjustments I've made to my collecting focus:

- Cut out all non-TF toy lines (mostly DC Comics stuff).
    - Limiting myself to new molds and as few repaints as possible.
    - No buying the same character at different size classes.
    - No more expensive exclusives (OTFCC stuff, etc) or buying something I don't really want just because it's an exclusive.
    - No more non-reissue Takara releases.
    - Limiting myself to ~$30 spent on vintage G1 figures per month; roughly the price of one complete combiner limb. If I want something bigger, I have to either save up for it or not get anything else until I 'pay back' the difference.
    - Only using online ordering for 3rd party items (which I'm cutting back to 'just FP stuff' after the Hardhead kit comes out), items that won't be released in the US, items I expect to be hard to find at retail or if I can get something for less than retail.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  12. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm exactly in the same boat as you. Its even a tad worse for me since I buy a lot more to sell. My garage is loaded with stuff that I just haven't gotten around to selling, and it occasionally starts drifting into my house. Needless to say, its caused some conflict with family members over many of the issues you've brought up.

I've decided that I'm limiting myself to finishing off my G1 collection, Soul of Chogokin and other Japanese "Masterpiece" type lines (since they don't release very many), and CHUG stuff where I feel appropriate (for instance, I'm not really doing War for Cybertron, unless I feel that there's no chance I'll get that figure in any other way in a chug line like Soundwave). Basically, I'm optimizing my display setups and if I can't display it, or don't have room to display it, I'm not going to keep it.

13. collectthem

collectthem Banned

Why are you buying toys to resale? Why not just leave them there for a kid or collector to buy? If they are sitting in your house, nobody gets them and they are talikg up all your room.

14. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I have a wife and two kids. I am able to get at least one thing a week. I put a limit of 20 bucks a week for my collection. Some weeks I am under which allows me to get a little more the next week. I won't spend more than 50 bucks on any one transformer which also helps me from picking up things like 3rd party items and say the newly released Unicron. This way I can enjoy my hobby without even coming within an earshot of putting my family finances in any type of trouble. As far as how much to collect, as long as every thing is neat and tidy, it's not too much.

15. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Moderation is important. As things have changed in my life (marriage, children - 3rd on the way!) obviously collecting priorities have changed as well.

I like to think of my collection as something not static, but something more fluid. There aren't actually that many "sacred" pieces that remain forever (and most are sentimental) - my collecting hobby is buying AND selling.

16. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because that's the only way to afford what I collect. That, and its much easier (and cheaper) to buy a lot for the few things I want and then sell the rest off to allieviate the cost. Lots of times I just end up with surplus that I don't have time to list.

17. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just did a massive cull through my room, because I have a lot of stuff, not nessaceraily TF stuff, just stuff. I dropped it all off at VV and bought another TF Figure. I now own more than 10 figures, but that suits me just fine bcause of space limitations.

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    As long as it doesn't affect my ability to provide for my family I'll continue to collect.

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

A good test to see if you are a hoarder is to see if you can get rid of any of your stuff. Sell it, give it way, toss it out, but the idea is to part with some stuff you don't want any more. If you can't part with anything you are a hoarder.

Like some other people I tried the completest thing but mine was with GI Joe years ago. At one point it was somewhat reasonable to complete a collection, but there is just far too much stuff coming out these days to even attempt it any more.

So I set myself out a strict budget. Yes that means I have to skip on some releases because they fall outside of my budget but I get to retain the feeling of they are just toys not collectibles that must be defended at all cost because someone might want to sell them off when I'm dead and gone.

I also try to avoid the impulse buy. When I'm looking at the toy in the store I stop to think why do I really want this figure. If I have good reasons why it's nice for my collection then I feel okay with buying it. Sometimes it's something I want to customize. Sometimes though I find I just wanted it because I have not purchased anything new in a while so I pass on it.

Good thing is you have a community of other collectors for that moral support. A collection is still a collection even if it doesn't contain really expensive figures.

20. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    It's horrible, man. My tiny 20 x 10ft room is full of it, I'm running out of living space. Least it makes me happy and I can afford stuff like food .... and cell phone bill ..... etc.