Collectible/Toy Insurance---Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Killa-B-Killed, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

I was asking about insurance for my toys, and comics the last time I was at AAA, and they said I would need a detailed inventory with values from an appraisal service. It seemed kind of expensive for not much coverage.
    I know of no such appraisal service, and the price on toys is pretty hard to nail down for most of my stuff.

Does anybody have any ideas on alternatives?? I would hate to see something happen, and I would be ass-out. It's almost to the point that I'm considering selling most of my pricier pieces to keep from being the idiot that loses everything.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

2. Killa-B-Killed

25 views, and no info.....

Please, Please, Please....

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I have State Farm renters insurance up to $20k. When I initially signed up, they asked a bunch of questions and collectibles was one of them. They just asked the approximate value of the collection. I said $5k and he said that in the event of a total loss, they would give me $5k no questions asked. IF it cost more than that to replace it, I would have to provide a list ( pictures would be a plus ) of my collection and how much each item cost to replace. When the first $5k was gone, I present said list and they give me more money. That applies to everything in the house, and only up to $20k.

4. Killa-B-Killed

Thanx IG,
    I will try my luck with State Farm, I am wondering if they will be able to supply a seperate policy just for collectibles, or if I will have to switch everything over. I have home insurance, and 2 vehicles through AAA, because they were quite a bit cheaper than everywhere else.

Thanxagain!!!

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This is who I use:

http://www.collectinsure.com/

I have a seperate homeowner's policy, of course, and would probably combine claims if something ever happened. But my collection is large enough and old enough that I wanted a specialty policy. Never had to file a claim with them (knock on e-wood), so I can't give them a personal recommendation on that, but I did some serious research before selecting them.

6. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome, I'm in for that. Are those rates on their site monthly/quarterly/yearly premiums? My guess would be about $10,000 worth of coverage for myself. I have a separate renter's policy myself, but a little bit more piece of mind goes a long way.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Their rates are annual, and VERY reasonable. I have something like $30K in coverage, and I'm pretty sure my premium is under $300.

Plus, the coverage automatically increases by a set percentage each month or year to account for natural growth. Collector-oriented policies like that are a big reason I picked them.

8. Killa-B-Killed

Great Info squirrelcar!!

I was just reading through some of their rates tables, I am probably missing something, but on the rates tables it says theft/burglary, is it seperate for fire/flood, or would that have to be through homeowners?

I only skimmed through most of it, so I am probably overlooking the fire damage stuff. I am babysitting my sons 3 cousins, so I only get like 45 second intervals to scan the site.