Collectible Items message found on peg...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dormamu, May 3, 2009.

1. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    So today as I was looking at my local Target for Transformers, I happened to see this message sitting on one of the pegs for the new Star Trek toys.

[​IMG]

Some of you have probably seen this message before, and if it's been discussed before, my apologies. I guess I'm not sure whether to feel happy that they're trying to give everyone a chance, or if they're trying to police too much their inventory control.

What's your take on this?

2. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i like they are policing it...im a strong collector it seems but i have never look for specifics....i take what i see...then i open up and pose everything.....lol
    good for them...it must have been a big enough problem to get noticed and enforced

3. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

We've had those signs for years, the creepy hotwheels losers periodicly remove them from the aisles in thier vain quest for thier "treasure hunt" garbage.

I honestly think its a more then fair policy that makes it possible for non-scalper fans to ocationaly have a fair chance at getting new toys.

4. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Wow, I've never seen that before. Insane.

I've got no love for scalpers or people buying multiple items of a figure just to keep 3 misb or whatever, but seriously, Target is there to sell stuff. Period. If they have it in stock, go get it and sell it to me. Would this even be an issue if it were a pair of pants or a television?

It's one thing if they don't have it, but when they check the dcpi and see they do, well you better get to fetching that for me if I want it. Ridiculous.

5. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

Well for me I have a few methods of getting around that little policy .

6. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Haha, I saw that at a local TRU a while ago. Even their "team members" dont really care.

7. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    its great as it give kids a chance to get something they are looking for and not some scalper that buys everything up. I dont collect Hotwheels but man those Hot Wheels guys piss me off.

8. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think its bs, if i check THEIR stock and says THEY have them, i should be able as a consumer to buy as many as I want, it is my discretion to do with them as I please.

9. Backstop

News Credits:

As a customer how can you check there stock in the back room?

10. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    Not every adult that buys toys is a scalper.

11. Backstop

News Credits:
    I know that, As people do army build. But it should be fair that not everything is picked before it hits a shelf

12. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    Maybe, although I'm not really sure "fair" has anything to do with it. I just find it weird that Target thinks they should be in the business of policing "collectibles" (I type with a laugh) from potential buyers in this economy, no matter the age etc. Further, if it's a collectible, and not just a toy, then it's every man for himself - which lets be honest here any toy could potentially be a collectible so that's just ridiculous.

Again this wouldn't be an issue if I wanted to buy a TV. Or 3. Do you honestly think Target would be like "nope, you can only buy it if it's on the floor"?

Shut up and sell me your product, Target.

13. Backstop

News Credits:
    I see what you are getting at to a point, But if its not on the floor then how do you really know its there? if a case is out and the stock is going on the shelf its luck of the draw, but I see Hotwheels cases open before the product is even on the floor? Also I dont think a TV is the best example as it does not come is a case of 12, with 8 different styles.

14. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    Well in the case of Target, you can check their website and see if they have it in stock, or at any of the little checker thingies (technical term) they have on the ends of aisles too. I've specifically looked stuff up (non-toy) plenty of times that way, and had not even the slightest bit of problem getting staff to get it.

And I mean, how many times have we all been in a Target and saw 800 Union Jacks and wondered if they had any Wolverine's in the back (and they probably did)? What's the harm in asking or expecting that people who are paid to serve you as the customer could maybe go look? It's only an issue because they probably get a lot of complaints from people about "scalpers", judging from every other post in the sightings threads complaining about scalpers buying this and that - because if it wasn't there for me to buy it must be scalpers! I'm sure complaints are frequentish too, more so than any other product I'm willing to bet.

And sure, asking people to check in back for specific items might be kind of a annoyance and a service that's easily abused, but c'mon, if you have it sell it. Either you're in the market for selling "collectibles" or you're there to sell toys, which I think is what most adult collectors consider them.

I dunno, I just don't like the tone it sets. Change out TV for a bottle of Sprite, I guarantee it wouldn't be an issue. It's just messed up that Target wants to get in the middle of the scalper/collectible thing in a really half-assed sort of way.

15. Cyberjet #7

Cyberjet #7 Banned

Most, but not all Targets have scanners in the aisles that allow customers to scan barcodes (or type in DCPI #s) to check the backroom for additional stock.

If, for example, there is one figure on the peg and you scan that figure and it reads that there are more in the back, 95% of the time a Target stock worker will pull those items.

Which is why Target inherently hurts themselves with those "collector" signs. There is nothing stopping a collector from checking the back stock on any given item (with the exception of Hot Wheels, due to quantity). If they find there are figures in the back, that collector can then stash the figures that are on the floor, call over a stock worker, show them the empty peg(s) and tell them they have more in the back and that stock person will pull the product; usually without question. A very dirty tactic, that works.

Walmart and TRU are smart in not letting the customer have that much access to their inventory. Although, Walmart let's you pallet-dive...

16. Backstop

News Credits:
    good points, as I would be ok with them going to the back and finding a figure that my son may really want, But I dont think its cool if someone makes them go to the back open 30 cases and pull the same short packed fig. To me its scalpers that buy the exact same fig x 50 that are the issue. Any maybe that is why they made this whole policy? I dunno but I understand that if it is there then why cant I buy it??? lol....

17. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    Totally. But for Target to insinuate they're in the collectible selling market then, I'd like to have a word with whoever is in charge and only ordering like 2 DCUC figures per store, because I'd expect more from my collectible shop.

Further, they need to start carrying McFarlane, NECA and Revoltech's too! :) 

18. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    glad i don't live in the us, if some store has a "lazy" policy like that, personally, i wouldn't even bother to go through their doors, nine times out of ten when i have gotten a popular new release tf, it has been from someone being nice enough to quit talking to their friends,and go do a little bit of *gasp* customer service (what industry are they in again?), hot wheels collectors....yeah, agree on that part though, those guys are creepy. i agree with ErichOveraker along with the revoltech's, mcfarlane, neca, and such, where are the masterpieces, henkei, _____label?

19. Backstop

News Credits:
    Well your right, if they are a collectible shop they should cater to the needs of collectors, Also yes a collectible can be anything (long underwear,stamps,mustard) lol so maybe they should give some more details as to what exaclty is a collectible? Also if you do ask them you can hit 2 birds with 1 stone and ask wtf, were are the McFarlane, NECA and Revoltech's too! lol..

someone being nice enough to quit talking to their friends? Really? please tell me were I can find this super store as it cant be Wal-mart lol!

20. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nobody understands the wording in this policy!!!!!

That sign has actually been up for years. It used to be primarily for star wars and hot wheels. Let me translate for you guys as some of you are missing the point. what the sign is saying is this:

" We stock this item as needed. If the particular figure you are looking for is not their you will have to wait till the figure is restocked. We will not go back and dig for what ever the hot or variant toy is. We will not let you open every case and buy them all leaving us with a bunch of peg warmers and pissing off all our other customers.

When the item is genuinely sold out on the sales floor and we can stock a whole case we will do so and appreciate you bringing it to our attention."