Code Names

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nightrain, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I was reading some Marvel comics, and in issue 2 Bumblebee states "I am code named Bumblebee...". For clarification, dictionary.com describes code name as

code name
    n.
    A name assigned to conceal the identity or existence of something or someone.

This implies that Cybertrons all have real names, but during the war they all adopted code names. What would the real names be? Serial numbers? Programming code?

Does this impact for anyone the way Hasbro uses the names on multiple toys in the same line? Does it help in tying every series together into one timeline?

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i dont think it implies that they have non-military names. it prolly refers to the fact that their name in the cybertronian language would be un-translate-able into human language (much like our human names like chris, mike and such). thus to assimilate the human language they use approximates that would have similar meaning.

i.e. bumblebee is codenamed so since in cybertronian it means something like little yellow bot who is really lame. think red injun names.

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    What is Wheelie really named then?

uh oh...

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i like this one take from my personal fave fanfic, skyshadow's 'best first' over at lexicon, in regards to how prime and thundercracker got their names.

optimus prime got his name from the phrase 'send out the best first', an extrapolation of his name's latin origin.

while thundercracker got his name from the rank designation of decepticon militia frontline cannon fodder.

cool stuff.

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    thats the thing i dont like abt TFTM names (which i presume came from the movie development guy like wheelie, kup and springer). they broke the trend of mish mashing words to form names like sideswipe, starscream et al.

6. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    If we are to use a tribal analogy, which does sound perfectly plausible, then doesn't that open up more to the idea of multiple Optimus Primes? Is there any reason there couldn't be a Mini-Con leader named Optimus Prime?

7. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well wheelie is kinda brawn or jazz, Kup is short for pickup, as for springer i've always hated that name, worst name out of all the g1 helicopters goes to the coolest one

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i guess so. kinda like an optimus minor thingy, like what happened in the BW line.

that said, i do think its a cop out and unoriginal way of coming up with names. theres like tons of name from g1 alone that they should consider re using.

9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Prowl, Jazz, Hound, Mirage, Ratchet, Hoist, Inferno, Tracks, Skids, Grapple, Huffer, Gears, Brawn, Cosmos, Blaster, Whirl, Venom, Barrage, Dirge, Ramjet, Shrapnel, Snarl, Slag, Sludge, Swoop, Groove, Blades, Swindle, Vortex, Brawl, Onslaught, Ravage, Rumble, Frenzy, Scavenger, Scrapper and Hook would like to have a word with you.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    o-kaaaayyyyy......but you gotta admit kup and wheelie are lame names.

11. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

Anybody else find it funny that slag is the Cybertronian version of "sh*t", and also the name of a dinobot?

12. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I would disagree with your classification; Cybertronians do not possess organic bodily needs, in fact I'd wager even in their adopted Beast Modes they do not function the same as the beasts they mimic, they're internal organs are all mechanical still and designed to revert food like apple cores into Energon or a useable fuel source equivalent. Therefore Slag does not equal the term Sh*t in our useage of colorful metaphor, as Spock put it.

To slag someone means to totally trash them; make them look worse then Waspinator when he got shredded into confetti by Dinobot II I'd imagine. Slag also refers to the remains of metallic compounds which have been melted down by extreme temperatures.

Thus in Cybertronian context; Slag would be more along the terms of Fu*k then Sh*t; I'm going to Slag you up, Slag off, Slaggin' Motherslagger and so on. Since the term was more commonly used in Beast Wars (The term actually was used once in G1 the episode with Devcon, the evil alien dude tells Thrust and Ramjet to slag them meaning the Autobots if I'm not mistaken.) I believe the writers just wanted a term that would make sense. Going with my explanation though I think I'd worry more about Slag the Dinobot; does that mean that he's one bad... Well you know; Shaft-like. He certainly acts like it in the comics; always wanting to scrap, eeager for a fight and all that.

And yes I am aware I may have overanalyzed things a tad much, but hey... We're all guilty of doing that on occasion. :D 

13. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

This is the right answer,in the "Man of Iron" story this is exactly the explanation Jazz gives to the kid

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    as usual, i am again, right.

disperse citizens. nothing to see here.

15. mocrzy

mocrzy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    How did Ramjet sneak in to this group? ;-)

16. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

17. mocrzy

mocrzy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ok Ok...I realize that it could be a single word...but it's just like Sideswipe..Two words mashed into one ( ram & Jet...side & swipe) none of the other names in that list could be broken into 2 words....Ramjet looked out of place...all in good fun...

18. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I agree. Wheelie, sounds like, well... stupid.