Heavy/Scratch: Cobra Tape (Shapeways)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Tom_Servo, Sep 18, 2013.

1. G1 Collector

G1 Collector STINGER

Well, I had to think this one out and it worked !
    I wanted the stickers to look G1 metal Foil style.
    This is what I did and you will have to do if your going to print with a home ink jet printer.
    You need to buy some Brushed Metal chrome sign vinyl from a sign shop or ebay.
    You need the model cars water slide decals in clear.
    You need clear thin gloss sign vinyl.
    You need spray glue.

Draw your label in a drawing program . Print it on the water slide. cut it out and apply the clear vinyl. Wet and remove that paper backing. Let dry, do not apply even though it tells you to. (It will not hold or stick to the metal foil when you cut it up to apply to the cassette. After the water is dried , cut a strip of the metal foil sticker sign vinyl a little bigger then the cassette sticker.
    Spray the metal lightly with the spay glue. Let dry about 1 min. and apply the cassette sticker to the metal foil. Make sure it is the back of the sticker where that paper was removed. Apply one side at the time and smooth it as you go to get air bubbles out. Rub label very well with your fingers and let dry about 10 mins. Cut and apply.

Hope this gives you another way to get the look you want, as it is working very well for me. I don't even try to bug Reprolabels anymore with a custom label like this, as they seem to not want to do them anyway.

Stinger is next !!!

2. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    He looks fantastic! Is that a rivet holding the head and hood together?

3. G1 Collector

G1 Collector STINGER

Hi,
    Yes the post just snapped and even when Shapways sent it to me, it was too short . It looked like Shapeways might of broke or cut it off too short after it was made up and they sent in parts. It didn't come hooked together like your Stinger kit.
    I had a very hard time trying to find something / post or whatever to fit in this area. I ended up sanding down the post and then drilled it out so that the rivet post would pop into the part of the neck. I just cut to size and super glued it in.

It works perfect as it has the cap top to it to hold down the parts. Also when I glued it down, I pressed it down for ten sec. and the parts are tight.

I am redoing the art card, going to make it match the tape better with the black,purple, and blue.
    Tom, are you a big cassette former collector like almost #1 thing to collect ?
    I started collection Transformers when the first thing I bought was some tapes.
    I am still going to do the review on this guy and I will give your hard work a heads up on Shapeways. Will try to do in the next few days.
    Can't wait to work on Stinger next.
    Also, if you can figure out how to make a folding Megatron gun from a cassette with his black parts, I think people would go NUTS!!!
    Please think about it, and I have been trying to figure it out myself, but don't know how to draw for Shapeways ? You got it down my friend.

Maybe it could be browning also from Masterforce line.

The black parts (add on parts) of Megatron could pop off or out of cassette mode and be loose to put onto the gun as it is transformed.

This is a great thought to me , as the MP Soundwave could pop out your cassette and then hold him in gun mode like the cartoon. Just Sick !

4. Edubl31216

Edubl31216 Cassetticon

Ebay:
    Thanks for sharing. First off, the finished product is awesome. The foil sticker makes a big difference. Second, thanks for sharing the process. It's pretty extensive and I can't imagine the trial and error it took to get it down right. I just finished assembling my scorpion tapebot and I can't wait to see what color approach you took with yours.

5. mellowmut

mellowmut Sidekick

News Credits:
    Yeah, i wasnt aware was that extensive to make the foil stickers look that good. Always thought just photoshop and print.... but damn thats crazy. Much props

6. G1 Collector

G1 Collector STINGER

Thanks!
    Yeah, going with Orange and black. I have already on the orange sticker for it, still working on the tape. I will post updates here, so keep checking.

7. G1 Collector

G1 Collector STINGER

LOL, yes sucks, but was the only way I could see how to do them with a inkjet printer that has a water base inks. The way Reprolabels does it ( I Think) is that they use a very high cost Laser Printer that uses many different color powders that are fused with high heat. That is why water will not mess them up or they don't wipe off like inkjet.
    I figured Reprolabels would not want to mess with doing only 1 of these labels for me and my custom. I did Bullhorn's labels also and a Autoscout.

[​IMG]

8. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Again- Stunning work G1 Collector. I insist you start your own thread for this. I feel like I'm simply basking in your achievement now.
    True, I never went back and put the Snake on a parts tree. Maybe that's over due, huh? I was forced to do it for the Scorpion because it was unprintable with so many tiny parts. I could add a back up neck part for anyone who wants to put theirs together like you did. I figure a long screw would work too. Or I could make the axle insert from the top as you did with a hole for it to mate up to.
    To answer your question, I do love the tapes. I don't have a big collection of them, but I do cherish the ones that I have.
    I don't want to let hope about me making this Megatron Tape get to out of hand. I don't currently have a plan for it.
    I think I'll give those labels a try! Although glossy sticker stock will probably be good enough for me.

9. G1 Collector

G1 Collector STINGER

I just put Stinger together today loose fit not glued or anything to see how everything looks. You really did a excellent job on that and I tried to make a scorpion cassette myself and gave up on it.
    I think you will like doing the labels in foil , as the glossy sticker stock will rub and wear bad on the edges and you don't get the metal look.
    I will be glad to send you some stickers if you tell me which ones you want and if you wanted something changed. It is the least I can do for you making these great customs. Just contact me privately.

10. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Thanks! I might take you up on that. As for the fit issues. WSFP tends to be a little tight or loose. The fix is simple though. First, paint all of your parts. If that doesn't tighten it up enough you can clear coat everything. That will also help smooth the surface. alternately, you can coat the loose parts in super glue. I like Krazy Glue for minor fit issues. If they are flopping severely, Zap-A-Gap is your stuff. It has a longer work time, but they sell a spray on kicker for it called Zip Kicker. It cures it instantly. I used it on the arms of my Crow T. Robot and I had to sand them back down to fit properly. Now they're snug as a bug.
    I've been back at the Snake design. I think I addressed a few of the issues and I put everything on parts trees. Shapeways now has severe penalties for models with lots of loose parts. That's why the price of the old model snake has gone up so much. The new one will be much lower. I just have to order one and test it out, and then he'll be up for sale.
    Thanks again everyone, and stay tuned!

11. CosmaTron

CosmaTron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So, is this only available through shape ways and then will require paint and stickers separately? do the weapons and cassette case come too?

12. G1 Collector

G1 Collector STINGER

They come only from Shapeways.com. As a model or kit that has to be put together . Comes with weapons, but no cases. It is worth it if you work on models, as you can make and paint them as you wish. Also, no one will have the exact same one if you do it custom.
    Tom here has done all the hard work for us, the fun part is just left to do.

13. mellowmut

mellowmut Sidekick

News Credits:
    Always the option to commission someone to paint for you. Theres a customizers subforum here on site.
    That or just leave as-is. Shapeways allows for different mold color options, so you can just pick a color you like and probably leave as-is.
    That or take this as a learning opportunity and paint yourself. Just giving options

14. JackKnife

JackKnife Well-Known Member

Really nice work Tom! I think "Hypnox" fits really well, and he could team with Laserbeak or Buzzsaw to interrogate prisoners. :) 

BTW: as for the "fake hole", I have a suggestion:

Rolling Stones - Paint It Black - YouTube

15. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Cosmatron- Yep, it's just on Shapeways for now. I've considered selling a few pre-assembled but I prefer to design and build them for myself.
    I might be taking the current model down from Shapweays for a while until I finish revising it. In accordance with the new pricing structure, I'm putting it on a parts tree to keep the price down. They now add a surcharge per piece, and it exploded the price of the current model. The new one should be cheaper. It's going to have a few improvements as well- not to the hood though. If you want a rounded hood, you'll just have to sand it like G1 Collector did.

16. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    And Jackknife- Thanks, but the hole issue has been resolved in the current model. Check out G1 Collector's recent posts for a good example.

17. JackKnife

JackKnife Well-Known Member

I know, but I couldn't resist the joke :D 

18. G1 Collector

G1 Collector STINGER

Here is Stinger all done !!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. mellowmut

mellowmut Sidekick

News Credits:
    @G1Collector

Hot damn.... Much props. Looks like something I'd see in sthe store. Like human hands couldn't do that

20. Edubl31216

Edubl31216 Cassetticon

Ebay:
    G1Collector - nice touch making those pegs look like screws. I'm totally borrowing that idea for mine :)