Co-worker & Classics Bumblebee.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Yesterday I had a guy in town working on our server, he walked into my office saw the TFs sitting on my desk and said "Aw man, I love Transformers!"

Then he looked at my Classics Bumblebee and exclaimed, "Holy shit! Is that Bumblebee!"

He picked him up and closely inspected him and said, "Wow, that's so cool."

I proceeded to show him Alternators Hound, which he was floored by (and recognized as Hound) and Classics Hotrod.

He then asked me if I had Optimus Prime, so I told him about 20th Prime - almost 12" tall with lots of diecast.

He couldn't believe they made updated versions of the toys they had when he was a kid, he seemed really impressed by them.

2. Mexi-Con

Mexi-Con ...Stop Me When I'm Lying

Ebay:
    I know what you mean. I was talking to a SW collector this morning who was very impressed. Another friend of mine in Detroit is now reliving his childhood with these new TF's...Thanks to me of course! ;-)

3. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Haha...thats a cool story.

All of my coworkers already know I am obsessed with TFs, but it would be cool to have someone find excitement in, and recognize some of the stuff on my desk.

Maybe he will start buying the occasional TF here and there now! :D 

4. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I have 20th Prime on my desk. Not a day goes by that somebody isn't amazed by it

5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    I have a few of the HOC PVCs on my desk. One time a couple of years ago a coworker came over, picked one up, and asked "Are these the Takara ones or the Hasbro ones?" which floored me. He clearly knew SOMETHING about Transformers, but on the couple of occasions I've tried to strike up a conversation with him since he hasn't seemed interested at all. Odd guy.

A few people have commented on the faction symbol magnets I got at Botcon that are on my filing cabinet. All of them have been along the lines of "Hey, did you know they're doing a movie? I heard it might be live action!"

6. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'm too scared they'd get stolen to take my toys to work.. lot of shifty people there.

7. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Well-Known Member

Same here, allthough i do keep transformers at my desk, one of the biggest problems i have where i work is that my co-workers won't leave them alone or they have stolen stuff from them. The only things i keep at my desk are the 3 inch titaniums. and my megs Titanium, for some reason no one likes that one.

8. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Yeah this happens to me and my roomate all the time. We have our rescent Transformers on Display in the living room so peeps can see them when they walk in. New comers to our house and chicks alike are always in awww and cant believe they are still around. Usually peeps want to start Transforming them and sometimes we are like 'I dont know man, they are for show." But than again, its made to play with..

9. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    It's funny watching grown adults immediately turn into kids again when they see some of my Transformers. I remember when we had a dinner party a couple of years ago, EVERYONE just stood & stared at my Masterpiece Prime displayed on our entertainment unit, like it was an ancient artifact or something. Most of them thought it was just a statue since the bot mode is so tight and doesn't really look like it could transform since some of the wheels are hidden and the torso is so proportioned to cartoon accuracy. When I opened the chest to show them the hidden Matrix, people hit the floor. Then when I transformed it, it was nothing but a resounding "holy shit!" from everyone. Even the people who claimed to hate TF and were loyal to other toy lines like Star Wars or whatever were like "okay, that's one of the best toys we've ever seen". Heh, I didn't build it, but I still felt like a rock star.

More recently when we had some people over, they saw my Alternators sitting in my office. They were like "so you're into model cars, huh?"... just before they started noticing Autobot logos on them. When I said they were Transformers, no one believed me. They started picking them up, turning them around, looking underneath them and inspecting every detail with wide eyes & open jaws like monkey's who just found a hammer. When I started pointing to each one saying "that's Prowl, that's Jazz, that's Hound...", the reaction was exactly the same as it was to MP Prime, topped with a lot of "where can we get these?!" questions.

And so far everyone who has seen my Classics are in shock & awe that these even exist. Bumblebee, Starscream & Prime are the clear favorites since they're apparently more recognizable to most people than Astrotrain & Rodimus, and everytime someone see's them, they immediately start looking around the room asking "where are the other Decepticon jets?, do you have a new Soundwave too?, where's Ironhide?" etc.

It's funny (and cool) that these toys in particular immediately trigger everyone's memory of certain characters, 9 times out of 10 always being the original set of characters from 1984 and/or Season 1. Just shows how much impact the early series of G1 had on people, even the ones that haven't paid attention to TF since they were pre-teens. That fact alone should hopefully inspire Hasbro to continue with the Classics especially, considering how many "sleeper fans" are out there and willing to buy them.

10. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Well said man, it truly does trigger some childhoods for people. Especially us 80's kids now adults.. I love it, Transformers are good conversation starters around our house most times.. Some of the girls think we are crazy, but they dig em...

11. DanLyons

DanLyons Little-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That's pretty cool!

So far, very few people have noticed the TF's in my office - mainly because they stay clear of the "scary developer"s office.

At my wedding earlier this year I put a tiny-tin TF at every place. We got as many positive comments about the TFs as we did about the food!

12. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Hehe, I like that I'm "the Transformer guy" where my circles of friends are concerned. I don't go around talking about them all the time, wear TF shirts or anything, but people definitely know it's my thing. I guess the fact that I've had a TF on my car keychain for literally 15 years now (the little purple & grey Micromaster jet whose name I can't remember at the moment) is somewhat of a giveaway to my closet obsession :) 

13. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Schnifty. You could turn him over to the darkside and have a buddy to nerd out with.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A few years back, I was with a computer user group that went to some trade shows and such. back around 96/97, when I first 'rediscovered' TF collecting, I had a G2 Laser Optimus Prime on display among the computer equipment. The general reaction was mixed, from impressed interest to "I remember when Transformers had a lot of metal in 'em and were good.". At a more recent show, 20th Prime hung out next to a computer case (about the same height as it), and attracted more attention than any of the computer equipment or displays on the table. :)