Co-op dissapointment for my son and I

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Goaliebot, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    So I bought WFC, played it, liked it a lot. My 8 year old son loved watching me play and wanted to play it himself, so I created him a new file (minor irritant #1, you can't have more than one save file on a single memory device) and he played and beat the whole single player game. He loved it.

So I knew there was co-op and multiplayer modes, including escalation. I thought it would be awesome to play alongside my son in either co-op story mode or in co-op escalation.

Yeah, you can't. There is no local multiplayer in the game at all. I could play these modes with my son... by going out and buying a second XBox 360, second copy of the game, and second Gold account.

Would splitscreen really have been that hard to implement? We've had local/splitscreen multiplayer in console games since WAAAAAAAAAAY before online gaming became the big thing. Why has it been dropped? Do folks not want to play locally with siblings, guests, sons or daughters, etc anymore?

Sorry, I know its a small complaint, but it would have been MAGIC to play splitscreen WFC with my son and I know that there are no technical reasons it couldn't be done as the multiplayer code is all there.

2. Nightmare966

Nightmare966 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The problem in this game is that Splitscreen wouldn't have worked well in all resolutions, I'd fear. If you were playing it in 720p, sure you would have no problem... but what about in an old (not so old, okay) 4:3 TV? How would you see people coming?

3. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe they said they didn't want graphical performance to suffer so they decided not to put in split screen. I agree that it was disappointing and I would have loved to have a local co-op. Maybe next time (probably wishful thinking)

4. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: When you're playing on consoles with the kind of high-polygon, high-detailed models that the current generation has, split-screen is MUCH more taxing on your system than online multiplayer. With split screen ONE system has to keep track of what two (or more) people are doing, where they're looking, render everything they're seeing, etc., and do it quickly in a game such as this. Whereas with online multiplayer, it's like single-player but just with added streaming data telling your system where the other players are/what they're doing. Some shooters HAVE been able to do split-screen well, but usually with decreased graphical resolution. It depends on the engine, and this engine apparently isn't up to the task, or at least not as well as High Moon would've liked, what with all the detail inherent in WFC.

5. BlackbirdSR-71C

BlackbirdSR-71C Loyal Decepticon

While we both share the same interest (Splitscreen), I disapprove of your complaint.

First, as others have stated, including Splitscreen would have been much more taxing on the developers part which would have resultet in cutting content somewhere else.

Secon, the smart costumer informs about the games he plans to buy before he does so. A little research would have revealed that this gmae doesn't feature splitscreen nor system link/LAN multiplayer.

6. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    I don't know about how technically hard it would have been to implement splitscreen, even given the rendering issues. FPS games from the N64 through Dreamcast, PS2, etc have always pushed the envelope of what consoles can do in single player mode and still been able to implement splitscreen. What they can render in one screen they can render reduced versions of in 2 or 4 screens. Look at Goldeneye on the N64 and dozens and dozens of FPS games since?

Would it have taken resources? Yes. Is Online multiplayer more important these days? Yes. Could they have done it? Yes and I wish they had. I'm not angry at them or in a nerd rage that they didn't, but I am sad its not there.

What the heck is this? You disapprove of my complaint? What...?

This I understand and can agree with somewhat - scope is finite in a software project. You have to prioritize. I just personally wish they had prioritized splitscreen. I worry they won't in a potential sequel either.

OK, this is a bit insulting now. You are implying that I am not a "smart consumer" and didn't do even "a little research".

I bought WFC for single player. I would have bought it for single player alone... I'd buy it again if I went back in time because I really like the single player game.
    But when my son began to play and like the game, I became saddened that there was no local multiplayer. I expressed my disappointment in that omitted feature here. I did not slag the game or decry the developers. I did not proclaim it trash or not worth the purchase. I simply said "it doesn't have this feature I would have really liked and many games before it have had and that makes me sad. Do others feel this same way? Do others want local multiplayer?".

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    The explanation would have sufficed, without the superfluous snarky insults to his intelligence.

8. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    me and my flat mate had no trouble doing it on left for dead and that was on a tv from the early 1990s.

end of the day, i think everyone would have liked to have seen split screen co-op, it's how multiplayer should be, i understand that online multiplayer is big but it's a shame when you can't play on a game with people in the same room as you. It saddens me that developers assume that people are going to play games on their own in their house.

As for cutting content, there're already a lot of faults in the online multiplayer left to be fixed

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

If you're going to try and be condescending you should probably pay more attention to your spelling :( 

10. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I totally understand, I went through the exact same thing when I first got the game. :/

Exactly. Couch co-op would have been a load of fun to have, considering I am sick to death of the glitches in the other multiplayer modes, and my IRL friends can be really damn fun to play video games with.

Plus, I don't think most of the online community would really miss half the multiplayer modes on there if they had to be cut in order to have splitscreen.

11. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *sigh* Grammar Nazi :rolleyes: 

Anyways yeah, it pisses me off to. I want to pwn with my dad and I cant because apparantly it all online play now.

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

If you're going to try and be condescending I suggest you try a little harder :( 

13. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Yeah I was pretty disappointed by the lack of splitscreen. In fact it's probably one of my biggest issues with the game. I would have gladly taken a loss in graphics or somewhere else to have had it. The fact it doesn't really hurts the replay value for me.

14. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's unfortunate that whenever I have anyone at my house, WFC is not a game we can play. Plus, splitscreen might have given a reason to players without online capabilities to buy the game. Without online, you only have access to one mode in the game.

15. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

I find it disappointing that a lot of developers skimp on the split screen nowadays. And yet Bungie manages to fit it in with every version of Halo, always proving that it is doable and most other developers are just too lazy too bother.

16. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's one of the reasons Halo is such a mainstay for me. If I have multiple friends at my house and multiple ones wanting to play online, everyone can play at once. That's a feature a lot of games unfortunately don't include.

17. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

Most game companies unfortunately think we don't have any friends in real life. They're all Internet Friends.

18. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im not, Im being truthful. :wink: 

19. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    ...Grammar Communist?

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Honestly, the lack of split-screen is probably the main reason I ended up not getting WFC. Honestly, if Bungie can pull it off with Halo:Reach, I see absolutely no reason why others shouldn't be able to do the same.

Probably one of the more extreme examples, but I've played Halo 3 with three other people on just a 13" screen. Wasn't an "ideal" situation, but it worked. We were all still capable of playing the game, and had fun.