Cloverfield on Blu-Ray When?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by kenm2474, Apr 22, 2008.

1. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I know that it is on DVD now but I did not invest in a Blu-Ray player to buy DVDs. So is there any word on when it will release on Blu-Ray?

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Unfortunately, no. Paramount is still throwing a hissy fit over choosing HD-DVD. It's not like they were HD-DVD exclusive from the beginning, they made more than there fair share of Blu-Ray films. Right now, they seem to be holding out just for the hell of it and won't give an update to any site that inquires about it.

3. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Sure, its a hissy fit. They pocketed tens of millions to back HDDVD, and have been released out of that contract to support BluRay. What better way to demonstrate their disappointment than by holding back support for BluRay titles that would doubtlessly earn them gobs of money. :rolleyes: 

More likely, Paramount is dealing with the behind the scenes negotiations needed to produce BR discs, figuring out how long it'll take to get them mastered, encoded, manufacured and out to stores, and, of course, which films to release.

Universal just started announcing their slate last week, and those don't hit until the end of August. Give Paramount another week or two - a month at most- and they'll have the announcements made.

4. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I can understand it taking this long for Universal, they have never dealt with the Blu-Ray format. However, until last November, Paramount was a Blu-Ray supporter and had encoded and manufactured plenty of discs.

5. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

But what happened to those discs? Storage, or destroyed? And I suspect Paramount wants to keep a steady supply of BD coming. If they released the old discs (if they were manufactured and survived) ASAP, there would be a gap of a few months before the new ones could make it to market.

6. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm not saying they had manufactured discs laying around. I'm just saying they are very familiar with the process and means needed to manufacture Blu-Ray discs. However, they have yet to give any indication that they will even begin to put out discs any time soon. The most anyone has gotten out of them is that they said "As we look to (begin) releasing our titles on Blu-ray, we will monitor consumer adoption and determine our release plans accordingly". That was Feb. 21st. So they have said nothing in just over 2 months and don't seem to be responding to any sites asking for clarification.

Again, they had a long list of prior Blu-Ray releases before for going the HD-DVD route. Unlike Universal, who had to familiarize themselves with the whole process, Paramount is no stranger to the Blu-Ray format.