Close freakin' call

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by freezowave, Aug 24, 2007.

1. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

We had a wicked storm tonight in SE Michigan. Probably the worst in a few years, if not more. Lightning struck a damn house 6 away from mine. After getting a few inches of rain I sent my 6 year-old daughter (dumb idea 1) down to see if the water had come into the house at all, and she said we were all clear. Well, about two hours later I run down there to get something else and see a tower of cardboard boxes in a pool of water. I was dumbstruck.

Because I was moving I had packed all of my toys from my showcases (tons of BT's, SOC's, Yamato Macross, vintage... expensive shit) into brown boxes (dumb idea 2)and stuck them in the middle of the basement on top of other toys in Rubbermaids. Dumb idea. I stuck them smack in the middle of the basement, and they were kind of in the way of everything. My wife, justifyingly getting sick of it, decided to tidy up.

My heart was pounding as I grabbed through boxes labeled "kitchen" and "family room". My heart was sinking quick- Think Titanic- the toys were all towards the bottom. I snatched the bottom one from an inch and a half puddle and ripped the tape. My heart sank: MP-01 Prime, MP Megs, SOC Zambot-3, and SOC Aquarian. Approximately $700 in toys were sitting submerged. The box bulged as I lifted it from the water. The toys, other than a few drops of water that easily wiped away, were 100% fine. I am still shaking my head wondering what I did to deserve such dumb, good luck.

2. freezowave

Anyone else ever have anything similar happen?

3. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

I was in Brighton when these storms were going on. I sat by the window watching lightning bolts.

4. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Close call...glad you saved them. I fear coming hope to find a burnt down house and collection.

5. freezowave

Yeah, I'm in Ferndale, and it was really rough out there for a while. I was really glad to be at home.

6. freezowave

Yeah and dumb me actually decided not to repack the toys into the Rubbermaid bins I usually keep them in because I decided they'd be more manageable to move and easier to pack. Won't do that again.

7. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

:) 

8. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Glad I'm not the only one with said fear...

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    in my part of lansing, we got off easy. don't have a basement, and even the crappy $20 screen house thing we have was still standing just fine. can't even tell it stormed earlier.

10. Brawl

Brawl Master of Destruction

Yeah, that was quite a storm. Our dog was going crazy. Luckily my wife got home just a few minutes before it started too.

Glad to hear your collection made it out unscathed too!