Clip on wheels need to go

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by neospark1, Aug 11, 2012.

1. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just picked up Weaponizer Optimus Prime. I love the robot mode. Closest thing to First Edition to date. Obviously the rear of the vehicle mode is not the best. BUT ... REALLY HASBRO REALLY? CLIP ON WHEELS? Enough with trying to save 5 cents.

Stop being dollar store knock-off cheap and take some pride back in the product you give us. Smaller figures.. cheaper plastic ... higher prices.

At least take some pride and put those metal pins back in and let our figures ... roll out.

2. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    okay

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

That's five cents saved across thousands of figures produced. With 20 figures, that's $1 saved. 200 figures, it's $10 saved. 2000 figures nets $100 saved, and it keeps on getting higher as you up production numbers and the number of unique figures using that style of wheel attachment. It's not much, but it keeps costs down a little in these days when the overall price of a figure is going up.

4. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    ^This! Figures are getting smaller and less applications applied, what would the OP have Hasbro cut next in order to have pin wheels?

5. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    Or Maybe Hasbro could stop this GREED nonsense and make QUALITY items like they did a few years (or in some instances months) ago?

Nah...

Greed rules over all. Those collectors who notice how cheaply made the toys are becoming from Hasbro, will hopefully say enough and not buy them. Either Hasbro will correct this problem, or just sell super-cheap Transformers to crazy collectors who buy ANYTHING since they just HAVE to have it no matter how crappy it is.

6. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

...Yeah. Sure. That's exactly how it is.

I'm out.

7. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

How you know its 5 cents? could be 25 cents. As someone said before: you are not making one figure but rather say 1,000,000. I say $50,000-$250,000 savings is a lot . The clip ons have their have benefits as well. You're not stressing the plastic, the wheels have a bit more realism, and the they are sturdier(less wobbly)

8. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

What I do see in this thread is a lot of complaints about how clip-on wheels are evil and must be removed.

What I don't see in this thread is an actual reason why clip-on wheels are bad. I have the newer figures with clip-on wheels, and I fail to see how they're really worse than the pin wheels. I mean, they roll the same, and...well, that's all wheels are supposed to do anyway, right? And they're easier to remove to repaint or swap, which makes customizers' lives easier.

It's true that there are visible holes on the outside of the wheels where the clips are, but those blend into the Cybertronian designs of the FoC figures reasonably well (and are far from the most visible inaccuracy of the FoC figures). They'll be easier to disguise on Earth-style wheels where actual wheels have lots of gaps in them anyway. And on top of that, I literally didn't even notice them until I was specifically looking for flaws to balance out my argument. Are they supposed to be bad purely by virtue of being less expensive to produce? That doesn't really make much sense.

I can understand some, though admittedly few, of the complaints about the economics of recent figures, like that it sucks that they're now $3 more expensive. But this is one of the complaints that I don't get.

9. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    They're bad for the same reason removal of die-cast metal is.

10. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I don't have any figures with this "problem", but it doesn't mean that I hate them. I mean, can't you use that to your advantage when customizing?

11. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

... die-cast metal is not inherently better.

I haven't gotten a single figure with these "clip-on" wheels so I can't speak for that at all. But die-cast metal? Giant waste of time and resources. 4/5 times it makes a figure worse. I hate it. Part of the reason I hate MP-01 is because of the die-cast metal.

It's only really good when it's unpainted, and used at the bottom of a figure. Otherwise it throws off a figures's balance (as in MP-01) or makes the figure more fragile (as in the entire Binaltech line).

12. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    That's exactly my point. People are complaining about the removal of something they regard as better. Die-cast metal being removed caused an uproar, just as riveted wheels being removed is now causing a minor inflammation.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Clip on wheels don't spin nearly as well as those on a metal pin axle. An example of a figure with clip on wheels is Prime Knock Out. The "clips" on the clip on wheels cause plastic-on-plastic friction which means more force is required to make them spin, thus they do not roll that well in alt. mode.

14. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    And, of course, there's this, which I thought of as a very real complaint. My little Cyberverse Bumblebee rolls like a Hot Wheels car, and his car carrier bro Ultra Magnus can't get a foot because of the clip-ons. There is a measurable drop in quality.

15. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thank you for saying the word things that I wanted to letterize... I r tired.

16. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this is the argument i've been hearing against clip-on wheels, and the most valid one i've heard.

17. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

All I know is that Hasbro is getting too cheap for me as a collector. I don't plan on buying anything right now aside from FOC Shockwave. I am getting more and more selective thanks to the way things are made and the abundance in which they are released. Quantity is not so much my thing as quality surely is.

18. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Masterpiece Sideswipe comes out

Clip on wheels

What does the fandom do

19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    It's a pendulum swing.
    Things will eventually improve.

20. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    This doesn't actually bother me. I don't roll my figures too much or race them across the floor, and the two figures I have with clip-on wheels (vehicon and Knock Out, I think) do roll nicely enough.