Cliffjumper

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by aledromo, Jun 21, 2012.

1. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

I cannot believe I'm going to say this out loud.

I chased down and paid through the nose for an FE Cliffjumper. You might say I have a weakness for red muscle cars, given the stupid hoops I put myself through to get RTS Windcharger. Looked so good. I almost had a deal to get one for $20 before the market jumped and then I ended up paying over twice that. Yay. Sure he's a bit fiddly and doesn't always tab right and his legs seem a little underbalanced but...yay!

I picked up an RiD Cliff for $5 as a throw-in to another deal. What a stupid toy! Clear windows! Holes in the alt mode for some cheesy hammer thing? So short! Where are the tri-cannons?

You can probably guess where this is headed. Despite every bit of me screaming to prefer the harder to obtain, collector version with the snazzy weapons, I far and away prefer the hollow armed shelfwarmer. I've even picked up another and turned him into zombie Cliff. He's got a better look, smoother transformation, and just feels more fun to me.

So TL: DR - I prefer RiD Cliff to FE Cliff. Sacrilege, I'm sure. But are there others out there like me? Be heard!

2. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have to agree. Although not owning a FE CJ, I never really liked it's looks as compared to the RiD version. Yeah, there's the cheaty-chest compared to the roof-split, but the result of the box chest just seems unappealing.

As for others:
    RiD Vehicon>FE
    FE Arcee>RiD Arcee
    FE Starscream>RiD Voyager Starscream
    FE Optimus (both Voyager and Deluxe)>RiD Optimus
    FE Bulkhead>RiD Bulkhead

3. aledromo

To that I'll only add the one caveat that:

RiD Arcee > FE Arcee if you take a moment to paint her. Better silhouette, smaller, sleeker alt mode. But out of package you're right.

4. aledromo

And there aren't enough > signs to explain the Bulkhead/Starscream ratio. I've become quite the completionist but I still left the RiDs on the shelf. My money is worth more than that.

5. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Good to know. I was considering picking up the Zombie Cliff from SDCC, but only because I thought that mold was worth it. I'm reconsidering now.

6. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    i'm a big fan of cliffjumper. definitely prefer the FE mold. it's more fun to transformer and there's no cheats. the built in guns are awesome as well.

[​IMG]

7. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, just to be sure, the OPs opinion is definitely NOT the norm around here, so I wouldn't completely rethink if i were you.

That said, out me in the camp of loving RiD Cliffy. He IS fun and full of personality IMHO. Perfect? No, but I still love him.*

*Full disclosure, I don't own the FE but considering his going rate and how much I like the RiD mold, I'm OK with that.

8. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I own both. I only bought the PRID version to turn into Tailgate, since they used Cliffjumpers model when they showed him, so i thought this an ingeneous was to have both.

The PRID is a fun little toy and isn't awful. But the FE blows it out of the water without any effort.

9. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't collect prime toys but I have a FE cliff in my collection- he is amazing. I love his transformation, he poses great and his alt mode is a beaut. One of my favorite deluxe transformers in the last couple of years.

He also has cow horns sticking out of his butt.

10. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I intend to get FE Cliff at some point, if for no other reason than for his weapon hands. I really like the RiD version though, inferior or not, it's a damn cool little figure.

11. aledromo

FE is taller. Has better paint. Has those wonderful cannons. And has better arms overall. Clever engineering.

FE has a very involved transformation (plus for some, minus for others) with bits that can scratch his better paint. FE has legs that are every bit as bad as the RiD arms that everyone complains about and make him look like a frat boy at the gym that only works out his T-shirt muscles.

In my mind, they're both great toys and I'm happy to have them. I'm certainly not selling the FE. Is it worth 8 times what I paid for his brother? Not at all, but that's this awful hobby we chose.

Go check out my latest posting in the Radicons. You can make quite a Zombie Cliff with a hobby knife and a little paint.

12. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I love FE Clifs legs.

13. Slip►Stream

Slip►Stream Seeker Clone

News Credits:
    I also own both figures and other than the arms I don't see anything wrong with the RID version.
    I do prefer the FE version as a whole but the RID one is decent enough.

14. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Honestly, the thing that turns me off the most from RID Cliff is the false chest. I'm a real stickler for that.

15. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I prefer the first edition. Accurate weapons, nicer red color, better face sculpt, no holes in alt mode, and the tinted windows hide all the robot trash in alt mode better. Not cheating is a bonus.

Really the only thing the RiD has are the more accurate legs and somewhat more accurate proportions. But I'd rather have boxy legs than hollow monkey arms.

16. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    I'm with you OP. I own both and FE Cliffy is great, but PRiD Cliffy is just more... FUN... to me. More character and personality.

17. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I would too, except mine came like this:
    [​IMG]

So now I have at some point to try to get a proper left leg for him.

18. aledromo

Bummer! And I thought his stock legs were annoying!

19. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Every FE is vastly better than the RiD version. Arcee as well.

FE Cliffjumper is one of the best deluxes in a long time. Its ashame more guys dont HAVE it. I have both. FE TFmation is mindblowing how everything lines up in bot mode. RiD is fun and cool, but it is what it is...A smaller, cheaper version. RiD car mode is nice, But I hate the arms on it, and there are a few other nitpicky things that piss me off about it. FE is almost perfect. Dont cut him short if you DONT have it.

FE Arcee is WAY better as well. The ONLY thing, and I mean ONLY thing is the wings on the arms that limits poseability. Everything else is awesomer than the chinsy RiD version.

If your seriously considering getting an FE CJ, Pull the trigger. A buddy got me one out of Canada, and its one of my most Fav TFs now.

The only FE that I say is NOT up to par with the RiD version is the vehicon Bot mode, where the FE BLOWS the RiD version out of the water.

20. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Someone, somewhere probably has two right legs. Hopefully the two of can meet up and kill two birds with one stone.

Knowing my luck, when I finally get around to getting an FE, I'll get a factory reject too!