Minor/Repaint: Cliffjumper TF07 Repaint - Complete

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Jericho, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    2/24 - Finally finished. If there's one thing I learned doing this it's that spray cans are the bomb!!! As you can see the hugger orange and much smoother than the white I did. I can blame that on this being my first time :)  I think in the future if I do the entire figure again I'll just get some cans and knock it out in one or two coats.

This is far from being the best in the world. I can see all the rub spots, where I screwed up in a lot of places but it was fun. Doing the head as pretty fun, and annoying at the same time.

The grill was a pain in the ass, but once I got these amazingly tiny packs of brushes it was much easier. His crotch doesn't match anything, my daughter decided she wanted to help me paint and that's what she chose.

My buddy loved it and that's all that matters anyway. He's not very easy to transform now, I think in part because I took it apart way too many times.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. tobuttica

tobuttica Well-Known Member

That's the way to do it. Thin light coats. Looks like it covered up the red nicely. What are you painting it into?

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks pretty good. A little light sanding, a good clear coat, and you've got yourself a good repaint. As for the details on the figure, don't worry about it, as long as you use light coats, let em dry really good between each coat, no runs should occur.

4. Jericho

News Credits:
    Thanks! After the second coat the red wasn't very noticeable. I'm doing a Camaro 30th anniversary paint style with either an orange stripe on the hood or I might look in to some decals. The orange is 'hugger orange' but I have no idea what shade that is in paints so I'm going to do just straight orange I guess.

I really like the hand for some reason :) 

Here's the car it's based on: [​IMG]

5. tobuttica

tobuttica Well-Known Member

That should be cool when it's finished. Are you going to give it a Ttop as well? That would be awesome!! The parts that come out as the T-roof could even be put together with a handle as an axe of some sort. Hmmm, I might have to pull a repaint/mod on one of my BBs.

6. Jericho

News Credits:
    If I was talented enough to do a T-Top I would, but for now I'll stick with a paint job :)  Would love to see you try it though, sounds like a kick ass idea for him.

7. Long_Haul

Long_Haul N*ggacon

This looks Really Good So far, im Really stoked to see more, cause ur idea is Interesting. Let me know what u do next, im doing the Same with my Leader Screams, New Paint job and im using Brushes which IMO, are better to use that a Air brush, Cause I control. You should also give Bee a new Head Swap.

8. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jericho, if you want to get the right orange, the do have the hugger orange in a rattle can. If you tape off where you want the stripes good, and make sure the edges are down REALLY good, you could spray them. After your white is dried out completely that is :) 

9. Jericho

News Credits:
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  10. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gray?? Gunmetal??

11. HAIL_KING_PRIME

HAIL_KING_PRIME Well-Known Member

it prolly wont (depends on how harsh the thinners are in the paint) but don't be surprised if the red bleeds into the white paint and you end up with a pink car! sorry dude it might happen

12. Jericho

News Credits:
    Eff. I figured i'd save a couple bucks and hit the hobby shop at lunch. I bought Model Masters Acryl Gray Primer and Gun Metal. Only after I was halfway back to the office did I realize that the gun metal gray used on Dale Earnhardt's car (which is the color I want) is not even close to the gun metal I just bought. ARGH!!!!!

13. Jericho

News Credits:
    New pics on the front page in car mode.

14. Seansy

Seansy Me Grimlock say Go Do One

Ebay:
    Jericho, your work here is inspirational. I'm starting a project and the thing that I fear the most is the paint quality! You have had any art experience?

And the idea, brilliant. Looking forward to seeing this on good ol' CJ completed! A classics CJ head would be stellar!

Seán

15. Jericho

News Credits:
    Seansy, thanks. I wouldn't say I'm inspirational by any means, this is my first custom which was inspired by everyone here! Though I must admit I think I'm the first all white repaint of the BB mold (maybe?).

The Testors Acryl series paint is fine from what I can tell. As I mentioned on page one it's a little on the thick side now and that's a learning thing. Given that you're covering a dark red color with white you run into the issue of having to do multiple coats. Had I been more experienced I would have used one or two paint coats and then spray paint to try and limit how thick it is now.

I'd actually like to try a Prowl head on this, I think it would look pretty cool. If not then I'm going to do a Prowl cop car repaint down the road, maybe with the new BBBB mold.

16. Seansy

Seansy Me Grimlock say Go Do One

Ebay:
    Maybe inspirational wasn't the right word but for a first go, your work looks brilliant. for someone like me it makes me want to get paint on my hands. Maybe some paint will find its way onto my project!

Either way mate, keep it up. And the head choice is pretty good. :) 

Seán

17. Jericho

News Credits:
    My daughter helping me finish up. I just have to paint his head, put the huger orange stripe on and then a clear coat and he's finished.

Side by side of the legs; original vs. gun metal paint. I LOVE the gun metal.

Attached Files:

18. Jericho

News Credits:
    Finally finished....

19. Jericho

News Credits:
    Is there a way to change the title of the thread?

20. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Yeah, go to the Tech Support forum and ask there.

Also, i like this. The White is very smooth (which is something i still can't do to this day), and i think you got the car's design very well, even when applied to the Camaro. Very nice job.