Cliffhanger endings suck! *A Rant*

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Autovolt 127, May 19, 2012.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

What's the deal with cliffhanger endings? I mean It's just not fair. Anybody who watched the show Missing starring Ashley Judd should know what i'm about to get into.

The Season Finale ends with
    Becca getting in her to pick up her husband, son and his girlfriend but then we see the car empty, her missing and the drivers seat covered in blood
    Just what the hell where they thinking? Missing did great in Canada but did terrible in America just because it had the same time slot as The Big Bang Theory, hell a week ago tehy annouced they weren't renewing the show?

So why the gambit? Why couldn't they end the show without a cliffhanger, Why? Or atleast film an alternate ending so we didn't have a cliffhanger Why!!!!

Hell I knew they were going to do this. :banghead:  The worst part is my Mom thought the ending was great then again she's one of the people who liked the ending to the Sopranos.

Hell even the cliffhanger isn't great First the son goes missing
    now Ashley Judd?

I still can't tell if this is worse than the ending to My name is Earl?

2. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

It's not so much cliffhangers for me, more like series endings that leave a lot of things unresolved that gets me.

3. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    This is exactly why I feel bad for people watching TESB and waiting 3 years to see what happens to Han.

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I prefer each series to end with something small and not particularly cliff-hangery so if the show doesn't ever come back it's not such a bummer. Only do big cliffhangers if the show is definitely coming back. I'd much rather big cliffhangers be within the body of a series like two-parters or just to bring people back for the next episode when we already know that episode has been shot and will air the following week.

These days shows do a big end of season cliffhanger to bring people back for the next season but really I don't think they're actually that necessary. If people enjoyed the show generally then they'll be back for the next season. I personally find big season-ender cliffhangers just leave me feeling dissatisfied and very often when the show returns next season the cliffhanger is quickly resolved in an unfulfilling way or brushed aside like it wasn't that big of a deal after all.
    What I really hate are shows that have fairly poor episodes and then at the end of each episode they do a big cliffhanger moment to draw you back for the fowllowing episode the next week.
    Shows that write only for the cliffhanger bug me. Lost used to do it a lot as the series wore on. 'Oh my Zod - it looks like the next episode finally answers what that particular one thing is all about' and then the next episode airs and it doesn't answer it. But come the end of the episode it's teasing with potential answers next time again.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The most evil cliffhanger I've ever run across was the first season of Stargate Atlantis. Atlantis under fire from two Wraith hives, Sheppard on a collision course with one with a nuke in his hold - even if it works, how were they going to take out the other one?

Then six months of waiting for the resolution. But it was good when it finally arrived at least :) 

Personally though I'd rather season finales wrapped up a plotline, and perhaps just left a dangling thread or two which needed explanation later. Like Babylon 5 season 2. HUGE reveal on just what Kosh really is, and humanity finally becomes aware of the Shadows. Sets the stage for the plot moving forward, but it doesn't leave you on a huge cliffhanger ending.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    ^ I could live with that. Knock down the big question and tease out a smaller one to be picked up next season.

And now more shows have full-on mid-season breaks that just makes things worse with cliffhangers because then there's two big ones to endure. At least though with those the rest of the season is usually already either in production or already in the can so you know you'll probably get a resolution to a mid-season cliffhanger.

7. ironjazz

ironjazz Tie Fighter pilot

News Credits:
    My name is Earl was worse.

8. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    The thing with cliffhangers is that when done well, they can become legendary. Everyone hopes their show can have that level of fame where you say one thing, and everyone knows exactly what you're talking about. Like this for example.

"Fire."

It's just really hard to pass up that kind of chance.

9. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Some season cliffhangers are awesome (BW S1 and S2, TFA S2), others...not so much (Wolverine and the X-Men, Big O S1). It varies from show to show.

10. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This one pissed me off greatly. I hadn't gotten to see the last season during its run. I picked up the dvd set like I had for the previous seasons. Was having fun watching the show then the last ep plays and it ends like it did and I just sat there and said what the fuck, that's bullshit.

11. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    While they may "suck" they are very clever. Think about it, how do you get your fans to return? You FORCE them to return. You end it where you don't know what happens to *insert random character* or what happens to *blank*. It is a way to lure you back into it when it comes back around.

Movies especially. You end a movie with a huge cliffhanger, and BOOM! You got a bunch of potential people returning to see the next one. Like Back to the Future. "Impossible! I just sent you back to the future!" "I know you did send me back, but I'm back, I'm back from the future." You know Doc is back in 1885, and Marty has to either A, find a way to get him, or B, get back to 1985 with no DeLorean.

Though, ESB wasn't as much of a cliffhanger though. They leave you showing that the Empire won this battle. Hence the name Empire Strikes Back. Technically, they do let you know what will become of Han. He was given to Boba, who's sole purpose was to get him to Jabba.

Overall, it is a clever marketing tool.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yeah but ESB that was a movie, and you knew they would make another since Star Wars was just that big.

What i'm talking about here is the fact if a show like Missing won't come back, then why bother with a cliffhanger ending?

13. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Congress needs to make a law saying that any show that gets cancelled gets at least 3 further episodes to wrap things up.

14. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They should have just cut out the last minute of Missing. Then put the minute on the DVD as an 'alternate ending'.

15. decepticreep312

decepticreep312 Well-Known Member

Yeah, like the ending of Spider-man the animated series.

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Worst Season ending cliffhanger ever : The best of both worlds part 1 Star Trek the next Generation.

you get left on Picard as a Borg and Riker saying fire to use an improvised weapon and having no clue if it worked or if Picard survived.

17. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I thought you were talking about the Stallone movie.

18. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I agree. I mean, I don't mind them in concept, but with shows getting the ax with no warning so they never have a chance to resolve it, that's where the problem is. Years ago, if a show was getting cancelled, they'd let the film crew know before the end of the season so they could wrap up the story. Nowadays, they cancel it between seasons so they just never film the next season. That means a lot of cliffhangers are left hanging. The Sarah Connor Chronicles is the one that bugged me the most.

I find these comments hilarious. My Name is Earl never once did a "to be continued" episode before that. It just wasn't their style. I think they did it that way on purpose because this was one of those times they knew the show wasn't coming back. They didn't leave us hanging off a cliff, they trolled us.

19. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Your emotional reaction is exactly why they did it. Cliffhangers were originally how movie serials got you to come back the next week to see the continuation of the story. In the era of TV, Cliffhangers were a way to get fans to demonstrate to the network how much they want the show to continue in an attempt to force a renewal if the studio has doubt.

And for the record, the worst Cliffhanger is Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. It was a series set in a 1984 style world, with a cyborg running a skynet empire who had a resistance of super soldiers who were Iron Man meets Centurions. In the final episode, the bad guys crack the code to the heroes ground bridge system and bridge into the base, attacking it, causing the only female character and love interest to Captain Power to destroy the base, killing herself, destroying the "jarvis" computer program that was Captain Powers fathers computerized mind, as well as (maybe) one of the two main character robot bad guys. For added injury, there was an open comm line between the rest of the main characters on their jet and the lone female character at the base, so they heard everything and saw the base explode just as they got close.

Did I mention that this was a kids show? It was.

20. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The entire LOST seasons 1-6 come to mind. But in that case you got used to it after the first ten cliffhangers in a row.