Click it or Ticket

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thenatureboywoo, May 23, 2009.

?

Do you wear a seatbelt

1. Yes

139 vote(s)
    92.7%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I can't help but notice that you didn't in anyway actually answer my question. Would you care to try again?

2. BenPrince

BenPrince Banned

You do have the option of not riding with a driver who makes you all butthurt over their lack of seat belts...

It's still YOUR repsonsibility and not theirs.

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I have your permission? Oh joyous day! What was the question again? Oh right, whether I care about the people behind me wearing their seatbelts? Something about the freewill argument, which isn't mine to begin with(I'm just defending it but I'd say its more a matter of personal choice). Personally, no I don't care unless they're children. My question, what's your point? The people sitting behind you is who you're worried about now and not some guy in another car flying through his windshield and into you? Maybe you should have been clearer on that. Do you really force your backseat passengers to buckle up? What happens if they don't is the real question I guess.

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always wear a seatbelt when I'm riding in a vehicle (I don't drive). In Georgia, interestingly, there's a part of the state law that (for reasons I don't know off the top of my head) exempts people in pick-up trucks from having to wear seatbelts.

As far as whether people should wear them or not...I don't think there should be a law dictating whether adults have to wear a seatbelt (children, yes). If a person of the age of majority doesn't want to wear a seatbelt and ends up dying because of it, that was their conscious decision. It shouldn't be up to the government to protect adults from the consequences of their choices. However, if someone is injured because they weren't wearing a seatbelt and they don't have adequate insurance to cover their (preventable) medical expenses, then the taxpayers shouldn't be required to provide any assistance paying their medical bills.

5. smkspy

Excellent points Scantron, and it also raises the point that seatbelt laws differ from region to region. Therefore, cultural notions/ideas about seatbelt wearing also differs.

6. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Pardon me, but I do have to laugh at the kamakazie driver/missile coming from behind you argument, therefore killing you. :lol . No offense.

So anyways, I went to walmart to buy some charcoal today, and yes I wore a seatbelt.

7. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I think his point was this:

If you're stupid enough to drive without a seatbelt, and don't care that your passengers don't wear one either, you're putting your life and their's at stake.

So, if you're willing to do that with your own life and that of your passengers, what other idiotic things will you do behind the wheel? You could do something else that could cause danger for the other drivers sharing the road with you.

If you neglect one piece of safety for the road, you'll most likely fail on the others as well, and that's when foolishness puts people's lives on the line.

8. smkspy

It's a nice theory, but in reality it doesn't relate at all to your ability to drive a car safely or observe the rules of the road. After all, in many states passengers aren't required by law to wear seatbelts. But Let us just take this theory to its foregone conclusion... Fiddling with the radio, even listening to the radio, is a distraction and takes away from your concentration. Smoking in your car too. Talking to other people in the car is a safety concern. As is keeping both hands on the wheel. But believe me, I've seen plenty of stupid people driving without care for their safety or other's safety all the while wearing their seatbelt. But at least they were wearing it.

My point. This isn't some big moral issue we're discussing here. It's a choice that people make when they drive. Do I think people should wear a seatbelt? Yes, but I don't think we should start calling them stupid (like you just did) if they don't. Though maybe the CIOT ads should start doing that, "Hey! You dumbass redneck/yuppie/teenage fuck drivers not wearing your seatbeats! Click it or Ticket you stupid fucks!" Now excuse me. I gotta go drive all crazy and shit cause I don't buckle up. Maybe I'll get a little drunk before I do.:rolleyes: 

9. Optimus Sledge

Y'know, if you want to be a jerk, you're free to go cram it up your arse. Just getting that out of the way before addressing your points. :) 

Moving on. Yes, congratulations. You've remembered what the question I asked and that you quoted was. I'm guessing you've already been thrown through a few windscreens to account for your shockingly bad memory. My point? Simple. In a crash, someone sitting behind you without a seatbelt can be thrown forward with enough force to kill you. Of course, your Russian roulette approach to personal safety probably allows you to ignore this, but it's a point worth raising for those of us not tired of life.

What's really puzzling me here, smkspy, is that it's you that raised the idea of someone becoming a human missile and killing someone outside the car, but you're determined to make it seem this was my idea. Are you really so embarrassed by your idea that you want to palm it off onto me?

10. smkspy

Ah, just responding to your equally jerk response to me. It's all in good fun though.

I take it you have then? It must account for your shockingly one-sided view on the subject? Me? No, I'm a very good driver.

Again, here it isn't required by law to make someone wear their seatbelt in the backseat. What's a guy to do? No Russian roulette about it though. I wear my seatbelt. But nice way to make this issue sound so extreme. Very dramatic and self-righteous.

I didn't raise the issue bro. Faxon first mentioned it to Genosaur, and then you responded in kind. But it is I that is taking issue with your as-of-late moral superiority over all here. It must be nice to see the world in such black and white, but frankly, your posturing has become tiring and obnoxious.

And what is there to be embarrassed about? But nice try with the whole "I'm trying secretly embarrassed by human missiles and trying to turn it around onto you" idea. He-Lar-e-ous! Really, it is just a human missile. Haven't you seen those Sprite commercials?

11. Optimus Sledge

Ah, multi-quote posting. This ALWAYS ends well.
    Jerk? Me? No, just curious as to the bizarre attitude to basic safety some people have. Hell, I'm metaphorically biting my tongue to keep this from getting locked.
    I'm really not sure what you're saying, but it does indicate some form of head trauma. "I take you have to account for." That's some good English there, bub.
    You really have issues with the law, don't you? Put that out of your damaged brain (I don't imagine this'll be difficult for you, given how easily you forget most things). And really, what is more extreme than death? It sounds dramatic because it is. Dying, if I may refresh your addled wits, is generally regarded as a bad thing.
    Dude, you raised the issue in response to something I said. See if this sounds familiar (I'll understand if it doesn't, what with your brains leaking out of the multiple fractures in your skull): "Uh-huh, you know the chance of someone not wearing a seatbelt, getting into a wreck with you, and their body flying through the windshield crashing into you thereby harming you, is just as unlikely as someone wearing their seatbelt and getting burnt to death in their car." You weren't replying to Faxon or Geno, you were replying to me, therefore it is you that introduced this notion into our discussion. And I gotta tell you, it's batshit INSANE. But I guess you get that a lot.

Moral superiority? Not really sure what you're on about, although it makes me suspect you have some issue with me other than my desire to see people survive car crashes. I wonder what it is?
    I see you're getting tired here. Your grasp on the English language is getting a little loose. Maybe when you've had a nap, you could take those fragments and turn them into whole sentences.

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Ah yes, there's that heavy-handed, black and white "you're an idiot for thinking that" attitude I was talking about.

Not wearing a seatbelt (and failing to enforce it on others) automatically makes someone a suicidal cretin that drives like an idiot and ignores all the other traffic laws. I see. :lol 

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  13. King_Manta

King_Manta Well-Known Member

I hate seatbelts, but I also hate compound skull fractures. Or no head at all.

Ever stumble upon any car accident photos online that you wish you didn't see? Yeah, looks like someone put a grenade in your mouth.

14. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Wow, not wearing a seatbelt now makes me more inclined to drive recklessly. That is perhaps a worst argument than the whole thing of becoming a human meat missile. I'm not saying it's safe and ok to not wear a seatbelt, but saying people who don't wear seatbelts are bad drivers? That's prejudging people. And last I checked, being predjudice = being an idiot.

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    If you don't give a shit about the safety of others, you shouldn't get in a car.*
    No, it just makes them a cretin. But hey; if you fancy getting all up close and personal with what's in front of your car, or maybe killing the person in the front seat because you shot forward so fast (yes. This does happen. it happened to someone I used to know, in fact.), you go right ahead.
    No skin off my nose either way; I'll be the guy who isn't dead. :) 

*this is a metaphorical "you", and is not aimed at anyone in particular. Just thought I should stress this before someone gets all up in my metaphorical face about it like a total tit.

16. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Not even going to address any of the points in here (Too...annoying. Too mind-numbing, if you will.), Sledge is doing a fine job of that.

@Sledge. The law is on our side. Don't worry, those who want to kill themselves will get their commuppence.

But if you (suicidal) guys would like to kill yourselves, then that's cool. Like Sledge said, there's ways to get out if you have a seatbelt on and the car is on fire. Better safe than sorry, even though that's a tired saying.

Ironically, I'm watching a commercial on how cops will give you a ticket if you don't wear a seatbelt. :p 

17. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    No, not really. Good to see more of that heavy-handed attitude though.

You know what DOES make someone a cretin? Texting and/or using a cell phone while driving. You guys worry all you want about others not wearing a seatbelt, I'll worry more about the idiots that I see daily driving like imbeciles using their cellphones - oddly, they usually they have their seatbelt on!

Good thing THEY'RE playing it safe. :rolleyes2 

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  18. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    So, it would appear, are Common Sense and Darwin.
    No, it really does. But don't take my word for it:
    Think!
    Have fun trying to find a safe speed at which to drive without a seatbelt on.

19. smkspy

Of course it does.

No no. Please don't bite that tongue... it might swell.

I guess you're not biting your tongue then. Roling out the grammer police. The time-tested method of the true internet savy man. Bravo! My disgrace for paying close attention is only highlights the perils of watching your favorite team win the SEC championship while typing on the net after having a few beers combined with my low reguard for your opinion. Just keep on Kiving, man.

Again, with the biting of the tongue I take it?

Yes, because EVERY accident someone dies. How easily I've forgotten that.

Wow, figured that one out all by yourself. Yeah, I didn't forget my original statement. I wrote it after all. Your statement was the culmination of the thought that, somehow a person not wearing their seatbelt is going to harm YOU. Now if you originally stated "the person in the backseat harming me" rather than running with the previously mentioned idea of a human missile, it might have helped your case. But I quoted you as you're just so fun to talk too

And again with the biting of the tongue. That tongue must be getting awfully swollen right about now.

I'll let you pine over that one as I'll lose no sleep over it.

Again with the grammer police and the biting of the tongue. Sorry, I type fast and do skip on words, which I often go back and edit as soon as I post. But that knife wound you've given me really does hurt. My brain-damaged mind might just not be able to take it.:thumbs2: 

The irony of our little debate. I wear my seatbelt, and when my car, others wear the passenger seatbelt. See I'm on your side, but I just don't like the method that you and some others have gone about expressing that side.

20. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It's LAW to wear a seatbelt because the rescue services got sick of scrapping assholes off the pavement.

Keep in mind that they are the ones who have to clean all this shit up. It's messy. At least with a seatbelt it's generally confined to the inside of the wrecked car.