Cliche gun use in movies.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Recall, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Seriously what the fuck.

Weapons made to kill, yet in every cliche movie possible the ability to shoot straight is damn near impossible. Thats fine if say the character has never used a weapon before, but when they are supposed to be a bounty hunter you would think by now one would be able to shoot at something infront of them.

I'm currently watching Underworld and i'm exactly 5 minutes in and I can already tell this is going to be the most cliche movie ever. Why can't people actually use their weapons correctly? I demand more movies where using weapons effectively/correctly are portrayed so that can become the cliche.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    As someone who's fired weapons more than a few times, I take issue with this, too. Quite a few law enforcement/war movies and television dramas realistically depict gunplay, though.

3. Ellamin

Ellamin Moonbeam Dreamer

News Credits:
    Even The transformers have it, the movie had accurate shooting and kills. The TV shows, though, hit nothing!

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The A-Team were not aiming to hit the bad guys though.. Just spook them..

5. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    The only movie off the top of my head that didn't have this problem...Equilibrium. Hell not only did they not miss, they put multiple shots in the same targets with no problem! That and maybe Robocop.

I think the reason they do it, is so the scene doesn't last 2 seconds and boom, done. I mean, you take just about every Stallone movie, and he is either A, unloadin a ton of ammo at the enemies to give it so much awesomeness. Or B, he is running away from someone who is unloading a ton of ammo at him, while he does is trademark screaming. EEEEYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    The one movie that bugged me about this was the one with Cindy Crawford and the Baldwin brother: he's been missing his shots through out the movie but when he lays her out on top of a car, she can just get up and kill a guy with a single shot?!

7. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Look out Superman!!!

Not movies but T.V.-the bad guy shoots at Superman at point-blank range until he empties the gun and Supes never moves but when he throws the gun at him,he ducks out of the way!!

8. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    That's because Superman's claim to fame is that bullets bounce off of him, not guns.

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    and lets just add in the Stormstroopers famed ability to not hit the broadside of a death star is they were standing in it, the clone troopers seems to be decent shots but the quality seems to have dropped by the time of a new hope

10. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Never found it that annoying, tbh. Gun things I do find annoying:
    1) A pump-action shotgun must be pumped every time it's picked up.
    2) The slide must be racked on a semi-auto every time it's picked up. Seriously, how much ammo would the average movie character waste just between those two things? Or do all movie characters compulsively empty the chambers of their weapons every five minutes so they can reload them?
    3) The clicking sounds every time someone moves a pistol. Half the time the character was just shooting, so it makes no sense the safety would have been on. A lot of the time, it's something like a Glock that doesn't even HAVE a safety to make that noise.
    4) Semi-autos being uncocked in closeup. The character has just been shooting, yet in the closeup the pistol's hammer is down again. Why?
    5) The bottomless magazine, and it's counterpart the short magazine. The character doesn't run out of ammo until it's dramatically convenient. Lazy fucking writing.
    6) Any time someone does a "you've left the safety on" line to someone holding a Glock or revolver and the person looks to make sure. What kind of fucking idiot is so unfamiliar with their weapon they don't know whether it has a safety catch?

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'll agree that I don't mind the bad guys/good guys not beign good shots when the plot needs it. Otherwise storys would be wrapped up in seconds, and significantly less exciting.

12. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I find it kind of ironic, that Shoot Em Up, of all movies, actually got a lot of this stuff right. (in between killing people with carrots)

13. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

And yeah, people survive most explosions and falls with barely a scratch.

Honestly, I don't see it as being that big a deal. The action is the gun battle, not the bullets actually hitting anything. Might as well be complaining about the how the heros always and gets the girl while we're at it.

Edit: I will say there was one scene that I did take notice of the other day. In the New King Kong, when Tom Hank's son is shooting giant insects off Adrian Brody with a tommy gun. Not a single bullet hits Brody.

14. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    People firing from the hip. You know why you can't hit the protagonist? Because you're firing from the hip.

15. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The cliches that get me are the explosive throwback when someone gets hit by a pistol, and the unlimited clip action. The whole F=MA thing means that to knock someone back when shot by a bullet the person shooting would also have to be knocked back.

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^like the Noisy Cricket in MiB, right?
    J gets thrown back 20 feet from its recoil.

My dad laughs when he watches Rambo empty a M-60 one handed at full auto. The barrel would/should be at the ceiling in no time. Sly is a strong dude, but not that strong.

RotF irked me because the scene where Sam and Co. are running from where a 2000lb bomb is headed. There is NO way that where they were when it hit was a safe spot.

with certain action movies, i think people overlook that the bad-ass gunman isn't really aiming. Like in Hard Boiled, there are times when the characters are just walking around and "watering the garden" as i put it. It's like they are just being bad ass by rate of fire.

Now, The Man with the Golden Gun...He is what a Bad Ass Gunman should be. accurate.

17. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    the one movie cliche that bugs me is when someone fires more shots from a gun with out reloading than it can hold, many movies get it right but some still don't

18. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I suddenly realized that I rarely, if ever, see people get blown to pieces by grenade explosions in movies. Even when the things detonate like, at their feet. All that happens is that they get violently tossed aside, with their bodies virtually intact. That is not how grenades work.

19. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Or people who can outrun and explosion because it's in slow motion...also not how it works. Like in The Long Kiss Goodnight, Sam Jackson and Geena Davis run down the entire length of a hallway, crashing out of a tall window, shooting through ice to land safely in the water...outrunning an explosion. wtf? I guess it looks cool, but c'mon.

20. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    The whole de-fusing a bomb at the last second never, ever, ever, ever, ever adds suspense. Its so cliche that you know whats going to happen before it does.

Also I actually want an american film where the "bad guys" actually prevail.