Clearcoatin question/problem

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Renidragon, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

OK. So I bought Universe Silverstreak today... and with clean hands, I tested the roof and doors, and the paint felt okay. I also hadn't eaten since... oh, 1pm the previous day (these events are happening about 11am). OK. Fast forward to about 7 or 8 pm. I go to transform him and the pain feels like there's some friction there... i doesn't feel as slick as it did before. I think to myself, "OK, no problem," and grab the girlfriend's clear nail polish (since, she explains, that's what's use for a "clear coat").

I start brushing, the paint just starts smudging and just looking AWFUL. Like the brush is streaking the paint via some chemical reaction between the paint and the clear nail polish.

I only did it to one door. The front fenders and other door are untouched. But I don't want him to end up like my prowl, with pair coming off. What do I do?

Said clear nail polish is... well, i'll read off the bottle, i don't know anything about it... :lol  "Sally Hansen Double Duty Base & Top Coat"... I think that's the issue there... it looked pristine till I started brushing... which was VERY gentle. I'm betting on some sort of chemical reaction as the cause... I just want to know the fix.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Actually you do NOT want to use clear nail polish for this, it'll do just the opposite of what you want it to (it's more likely going to take the paint off than protect it). You should go out and get a spray can of clear coat for something like spraying model cars, or something similar. Tape over the parts that are transparent plastic, but don't have any paint on them, and then give the parts that do have paint on them a good couple of thing coatings. Personally that's what I would do, but I haven't encountered this issue yet, and the way my luck is going with Transformers, I probably never will.

3. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Damn, well, i'm glad I asked!

The girlfriend went to walmart this morning (while i was nursing a hangover in bed still), but said they were flat out of Silverstreaks... she was gonna get me a replacement. What a woman. :)  She DID get me some metallic silver sharpies, though! Once these shakes go away, and my hands are steady, maybe I can see about filling in some silver details on some things, like Ironhide's face.

Anything I should be aware of when using these, so I don't screw anything else up? :lol 

Oh, and can a mod edit the subject? Should say "Clearcoat", not "Clearcoain"... yeah, I was drinkin, I don't know how I managed to screw up the title but come across as coherant as I did.

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Nothing I can really think of, other than keeping a steady hand while doing it, and then clear coating it afterwords to make sure it doesn't just rub off. Other than that they aren't that hard to use.

5. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Would acrylic, mat, clear varnish (used for clear coating miniatures) work for clear coating Prowl/Silverstreak??

6. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Future floor polish might work too, if you can find it.