Minor/Repaint: Clear windows!!! GAaaaaaaAAahhh!!!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by crazyjeffy, Jun 29, 2012.

1. crazyjeffy

crazyjeffy Hammertastic

I hate clear windows. Always have, always will. I don't know why. So, I decided to paint in some windows. Namely, PRiD Bulkhead, Knock Out, and Cliffjumper.

Cliffjumper I think came out the best. Don't know why. I applied the same technique to all of them. Did all 4 windows(including the little bit of the sides) and I even painted the horns. [​IMG]

Next is Bulkhead. I also tried my damnedest to match his green so that I could opaqueify the clear parts on his roof, but it's not perfect. I did away with the clear on the front windshield, and I just sharpie'd in the solid side-windows (which looked really silly). I'm not sure about the back, though. [​IMG]

Lastly is Knock Out. Sadly, being my favorite figure and character, I think he came out the worst. I think it's because his windshield is the biggest (which is funny because he's the smallest car). His side windows came out alright though. I didn't bother the rear windshield because Repro is covering that (literally and figuratively... heh heh) [​IMG]

I'm expecting some pretty decent constructive criticism if anyone looks at this, so please, by all means, fire away.

Also, on a side note, I did this to Ratchet too, but I'm still working on him because I did it before I got my new gloss acrylic paints and I put some red enamel on the whole rear section of his alt mode but then I found out Repro is making stickers for that so does anyone know how to remove enamel paint? >.> I tried to put paint thinner on it but it doesn't get it 100% off. :( 

Attached Files:

2. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I did this on my RID Cliff and he looks LEAGUES better. Nice work here as well. I don't mind translucent windows, but I always like to have them tinted- clear just doesn't look nice most of the time.

3. crazyjeffy

crazyjeffy Hammertastic

I think the only thing fe cj alt mode had on the prid besides size was the window color. I cant fix the size but ta da :D 

4. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    You should try painting them from the inside rather than the outside. That way you retain that look of a window with that layer of transparent plastic but then it's just dark looking in, like a heavy-limo tint on a real car.

5. crazyjeffy

crazyjeffy Hammertastic

That sounds like a good idea, but that seems kinda hard on some windows tjat have extensive molding on the inside. And i like to have it on the outside so that all the windows are consistent. Im not all that good at this yet lol

6. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

They look much better painted.

7. Constructor

Constructor Witness my true form!

It also gives the window a really reflective gloss.

8. oscarnjboy

oscarnjboy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I always started using a sharpie.
    I go over it a few times,then I apply the black paint(after I let it dry of course).Cliffjumper looks good,and I am thinking of doing the same with my knockout

9. Ellamin

Ellamin Heroes protect Freedom! not safety! BAKA!!

News Credits:
    how's cj look in bot mode now? or KO?

10. GAUGE

GAUGE Transformers Fan since 1985

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Using a sharpie on clear plastic is just plain crazy.

you could have just dyed the clear plastic or tinted it with a brush on the inside. but a sharpie treatment? Yuck!

11. HaZe

HaZe Well-Known Member

Im in the same boat. Clear is no good. To me the less bot you see in alt mode the beter. I do also sigjest doing it from the inside whin you can but with KO his ball scockets would where down the tint fast. But anywho looks way beter. Good job.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Your work looks good!

I prefer translucent plastic when available for windows, since windows are, well . . . . actually translucent.

13. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Allen, your sig photos always make me smile.

14. Tomiku

Tomiku black repaint fetishist

I'm fine with transparent windows if there's something behind them to see and it doesn't interfere with structural stability. Unfortunately that's rarely the case and all you can see is robot parts behind them, and the worst part is when the window isn't a separate piece so they cast a large part in transparent and paint over the rest. When those parts have joints it's very problematic. Knockout's wrists, for example; thankfully mine haven't had a problem yet but I'm worried he'll be the next RiD Prowl.

As someone who has tried to use sharpies in customs before, I'll just say, you'd be better of trying to find some paint to use. The sharpie won't last and your fingers will be black every time you handle your figures. I did a "repaint" of movie Landmine completely in sharpie and I can't touch the bastard anymore, AND I have to keep him away from my other figures. But the idea is solid, keep at it!

As a side note, do you have any of the Prime cyberverse commanders? Massive amounts of clear plastic, I'd like to see how you would handle it since I wanna do something with some of mine.

15. anemis

anemis Well-Known Member

lol welcome to my wolrd ! i have a nack for scrappings windows too

16. crazyjeffy

crazyjeffy Hammertastic

I'm not sure if we do anything different, but I sharpie'd my kup's windows and then painted it and it didn't turn out anywhere near as good as these 3.

Not sure if referring to me or oscar >.> The only parts I sharpie'd here are Bulkhead's side windows but they're not clear plastic.

Thank you :D  That was in my head when I was contemplating doing it, but I'm all for show accuracy. And in Prime pretty all the windows are tinted except Arcee's.

I never use sharpies to put big details on, but teensy details such as trim and rims can be done with a silver sharpie and it looks pretty good. I did it on my Bulkhead.

And I do not have any commanders. I don't plan on getting any cyberverse guys unless they don't have a deluxe or voyager counterpart, and so far they all do (or will).

Cliffjumper's bot mode doesn't look any different except for the little window bits on his inner arm (which aren't really visible anyway) but here's Knock Out and Bulkhead

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't mind Knock Out's face. It looks good in person but my lighting sucks.

17. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I loathe painted windows. Ruin the realism.

18. crazyjeffy

crazyjeffy Hammertastic

I'm not really into realism when it comes to vehicles that turn into giant robots. But again, show accuracy :D  I have OCD for that kinda stuff.

19. Tomiku

Tomiku black repaint fetishist

Ack, so sorry, my bad, I misinterpreted what you said earlier.

20. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    Not sure what kind of paints you use, but I use the cheaper paints from Wal-Mart's crafts department (0.57-1.97 depending on the color and texture, metallics are most expensive but awesome). If you use them, I'm going to give you a little help on how to remove paint strokes. Get some of the Future Finish floor wax, and mix just a small bit of it in a jar you can seal. Typically I use the long part of a pop rivet (use a pair of plyers to twist the cap off) as a makeshift pestle, and mix 1 drop of paint for 1 or 2 drops of Future Finish, depending on how thin you want it. You can play with it to get what you want, but this is just my experience. Then paint it up with that in thin layers. Let dry, repeat until you have it as dark as you want. If you mix it thin enough you can "tint" the windows on the inside without completely removing the transparency of it. Or, if you want it completely gone, do it on the outside and it will keep the shine. Works wonders on Cliffjumper. Plus the Future Finish does give extra protection.