Clear something up for me with 1986 movie DVD's

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mospeada, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I've recently encountered a small percentage of rabid fans who swear up and down that the Rhino DVD from 2000 looks way better than the 2006 Restored version. Now, I have three different releases of the movie: 2000, 2006 and the Chinese release from 04, and I swear the Rhino DVD looks like crap. It has pixels the size of Optimus Prime's engine block during explosions. It looks like a grainy WMV file on a DVD disc. But there are some people who think the colors look washed out on the new release. (I think they simply look cleaned up, because it has been remastered...)

What say you?

2. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I think a lot of people talk more about the sound being so different rather than anything else but I completely agree with what you are saying about the picture.

3. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't remember offhand any excess pixelization with the original Rhino release (although it's been a while since I've seen that particular version).

My only complaint with the "restored" 2006 version is that Hot Rod looks pink at times.

4. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I think you might be exaggerating the ugliness of the Rhino disc. I think the Sony remaster is clearer, yes, but the Rhino version was not ugly by any means. However, the Rhino version has an unforgivable segment near the end, around the Junkion scenes, where it honestly looks like a VHS tape. WHAT HAPPENED? Did Rhino just give up for those scenes?

The Sony version is clearer, definitely. But it's not like the Rhino version is a pixelated WMV file.

I do prefer the fullscreen Sony version, though. The widescreen version crops off the top and bottom, and Hot Rod looks pink.

5. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Most of the scenes with ugly pixelation are on the junk planet, that I recall. I don't so much dig Hot Rod looking pink, but the rest of the movie to me looked much more clear.

6. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

That's what has bugged me about every single DVD release I've bought. Each scene that has massive amount of movement are horribly pixelated. The worst offenders would be Unicron eating Litha, and the Junkion scenes. It wasn't until getting the Blu-ray was I finally satisfied with the picture quality.

7. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Huh, never noticed pixellation, but did notice the graininess of some of the later scenes on the Rhino version. I'll have to look for it next time I watch it, but it doesn't surprise me in the least.

From what it seems to me, the Sony version isn't 'cleaned up' as much as the color has been desaturated so that more details can be seen. Unfortunately I find the emotional impact lessens with the desaturation.

--Moony

8. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I need to get on that UK Blu Ray release. But I have watched the 06 release through HDMI in 1080p and it looked great.

9. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

It's not pixelazation but grainyness that looks like a poor VHS copy toward the end of the movie starting with Hot Rod commenting on the Quintesson ship and it looks better when Unicron transforms on the Rhino DVD release. Hot Rod looks pink on the Sony release but the picture quality is 10 times better.

10. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

It's nearly unbeleavable just how good the UK Blu-ray looks. In case you didn't already know, it plays just fine with US Blu-ray players. The picutre is always clean, no pixelation. The colors are bright and crisp. Line quality is beyond reproach. Background detail just pops out at you.... finally all that hard work can be appreciated. There are a few shots that aren't as sharp that come up. Where you can tell they were missing from the masters and had to be taken from perhaps video. Ones I can recall are one or two shots during the Autobot Shuttle attack, and one with Hotrod and Daniel fishing.

I don't really have a great sound system set up, and I don't really have an ear for such things, but it sounded pretty good to me. The only problem I noticed was with Primes gun during his big battle, is barely audible. That and the fact there are zero extras are the only downsides to this edition.

11. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, I have it. The audio problems are really apparent. If you mess with your TV's audio settings, you can get a good approximation of what it should sound like. The video for it is quite nice, except for some strange blurring in a few scenes.