Customs: Clear Coating Tutorial?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by RavX, Feb 17, 2009.

1. RavX

RavX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hi Radicons,

My apologies if this is the wrong place for this -- I know there used to be a "requests" subform but I no longer see it under the new setup. Please feel free to move the thread ....

Let me preface everything by saying I looked through the Table of Contents and didn't see anything on specifically clearcoating and that I am a complete novice when it comes to doing any sort of clear coat/mods to my toys.

I recently tried to clearcoat the "sticky paint" issue on my Classics 2.0 Silverstreak's doors and ended up making the issues 100x worse than it was. The clear coat (Kryon's Matte Finish) I used ended up either 1) eating the paint away or 2) making existing blemishes not previously apparent to the eye stand out. I am leaning toward #1 as I probably did something wrong (ie. too many passes of coat ... too close when spraying, .. or something along those lines) in the process, and such the doors are pretty hideous now.

I'm going to probably end up rolling the dice and trying to purchase another Silverstreak (and hoping for no sticky paint) but wanted to know if anyone had a video or written tutorial on how to clear coat correctly in case I have to attempt it again? I know it is probably trivial based on everything else you guys do but I think it would be great for those of us who have no experience doing even simplistic "mods" like that.

In addition if there is an easy way to "fix" the doors I would be open to that as well, but given the fact I can't even seem to do a clear coat right I am not holding my breath! :eek: 

Anyway - I'd appreciate any guidance or explanations to what I did wrong .. or if there is a tutorial in existence that would be awesome as well. Thanks guys!

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    We do have a tutorial on Future floor finish. I'll say that I wished I had starting using Future when I made my initial custom. I love the stuff. :) 

3. RavX

RavX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I do remember seeing that - is that for clear coating? Is it "safer" for the paint than some of the other clear coats out there? I'll check it out thanks!

4. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Be careful because some clear coats actually remove paint due to their makeup. For example, I have heard that Testors Clear Coat brush on matt varnish actually eats away acrylic paints, and was advised to use a different gloss coat first. I cant actually verify this, however, as I am not brave enough!

5. RavX

RavX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I actually think this is what happened to my Silverstreak - They Krylon's Matte finish i used seemed to eat the paint away. I figured it was just me not knowing what I was doing though .. not the clear coat itself? That's kind of what prompted me to ask about a tutorial .. I wanted to make sure I'm doing the process right but if the Future's is safer on the paint I would not be adverse to trying it.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Goodness, my reply evidently didn't post the other night.

Anyways, I chimed back in this thread (a second time, yeeeessss!) just to say that I really like the results I've gotten with Future floor polish. I mix in with my paint while I'm painting. It dilutes the paint just a bit, but it actually hardens the paint just a bit (which is the protecting function of a clear coat). I even [originally] said that I wished I had used this process for all of my customs, using my hindsight.

Aside from that, I've often used Testors semi-gloss and gloss clear coats and had good results. I just like Future floor polish better, that's all.

Anyways, I hope that helps! :thumb 

7. RavX

RavX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It does indeed - it seems from what i read in the tutorial that this Futures stuff can just be brushed on (albeit slowly) and used as a clear coat and shouldn't react with the paint at all. I may give this a try the next time I need to take care of sticky paint (which is hopefully never). I don't know that there is much I can do to salvage my Silverstreak at this point other than get a new one.