Customs: Clear coating question.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by AndreyOfDoom, Apr 18, 2009.

1. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    IN the how-to I could not find a section on clearcoating besides the future floor finish one which doesn't answer my question. I have never clear coated before.

I have a Rust-oleum crystal clear enamel spray. Would this be ok for a clear gloss so that paint does not chip or will enamel damage the custom.

Or would some sort of acrylic be better.

Would it be better to paint it instead of spray it?

Can you guys please recommend some brands and give a few instructions on the best way to do this? I just want to clear coat a UNIVERSE Cyclonus custom to not chip the paint. Thanks guys!!

-Andrey

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've used testors acryl gloss clear, testors lacqure gloss clear and tamyia lacqure gloss clear sray cans over testors acryl base coats and they all worked great. I hear that its better to clear acrylics with enamels though, but I use all kinds of different clear coats. I'd say find some spare parts paint them the way you painted your custom and spray each spare with a different clear to see which you perfer.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I used to use Testors clear coat until my bottle of Future Floor came along. Now, I wish I could retroactively work on my customs with the stuff.

I've used clear acrylic sprays on other things before with good results, as well. My advice is to take a scrap piece of plastic, paint it with the same thing as your custom, use what you're wanting to use for a clear coat, and observe the results. That way you're not messing up your custom :)