Cleaning your collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Deceptigtar, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For mine, it is a bitch. I cant afford nice glass cases right now so dusting and cleaning is a pain! What do you guys recommend the best way to dust the figures?

Canned air sucks, a feather duster seems to work the best but still doesnt get everything.

I have been thinking about getting plexi glass pieces cut and fitted for the different sections of the bookcase so it just barely fits but worry it will be expensive.

Suggetions and tips would be great, thanks!

2. Scourgatron

Scourgatron What of it?

News Credits:

I bought my trophy cases at a flea market for 80 a piece.

And I don't really clean my collection. I pick them up on occasion and blow on them.

3. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    A good quality room air filter in your toy room will make the need for cleaning much less. If you can't get cases, and the dust bothers you, I would do that, that is what I did before I got cases.

4. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man i hate having to do this, i get through one shelf and then the others are filled with the dust from it :( 

5. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

Normally I just cycle through playing with each of them, but I can't all summer 'cuz I'm away from my collection at my mom's house. NOO!!!! the dust!!! (crap I have to go home to that)

6. Movebuster

Movebuster Hiding True Intelligence

Interestingly, I've found a good way to get Transformers clean again is to transform them a couple of times. Unfortunately that means the dust is now on your hands, so it also helps to blow on them while you do this. If you have a big collection, toys can be kept dust free longer if they are kept in drawers and chests, but be careful not to scratch them against each other and also take care about the quality of the wood of the drawer. Soft, unfinished wood, like pressed sawdust works best because you don't have to worry about scratching the wood either. Regardless, do this only if you do not plan to play with the transformers within for a while as repeated removal and replacement of toys will damage them over time regardless of how careful you are.

7. AMG

AMG Old School

I rearrange my collection every once and a while. During this time I use a real soft handkerchief to dust them off as I go.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    whenever the issue of dusting transformers come up, I always suggest this:

put a swiffer pad above the figures. if they're on shelves, put the pad on the bottom of each shelf, so it's over their heads.

just rub each pad once, and it'll get a static charge. so the dust that would normally land on your transformers is drawn to them instead. every few days, just take the pad down, shake it out (outside) and rub it again. it'll get another static charge and keep sucking up dust.

9. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thats a very good tip thanks man!
    do glass cases cut out all the dust or just some?

10. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    My case cuts out most, if not all of it. I also use one of those "Swifter" duster thingies for the ones outside the case....they work great.

11. Pro-Cybertron

Pro-Cybertron Robot Cowboy

Ebay:
    For the hard to reach places, I use cotton swabs. Otherwise, a Swiffer or just blowing on it helps.

12. Optimus Scourge

News Credits:
    Full of WIN this is!

My G1 are all in a very large curio cabinet that seals in the front with wood framed glass doors in the front (no air gaps), no dust at all in there.

My other 2 Ikea ones have glass doors with air gaps do get some, but not very much at all over two years. Well worth the $59.99 each, check it out here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10011055

If you can go to an Ikea location and not pay shipping, it is a really sweet deal, but still, the shipping isn't too bad for what you get, really, I fit two in my Honda Accord with the passenger seat down, damn glad I picked those up for my Alts, I hated dusting those all the time!

13. Optimus Scourge

News Credits:
    actually, it isn't so great. I checked it out...price with shipping:

$112 in shipping and taxes! :jawdropper: 

If you can find a way to get to one of Ikeas' locations, you could get almost 3 at the price of 1 shipped..I mean, I know it's heavy, but, sheesh :crazy: 

14. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    its all about the sexy cases, then dustin the cases itself :p 

15. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ive seen those ikea cases before, but i would need alot of them. i have 3, 5 shelf book cases and one 4 shelf, well its a three and i use the top, case. i think i figured almost like 6 or 7!

16. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I try to dust a shelf every two weeks or so. Some are easier than others. The stuff I have in the case I usually don't worry about. But the stuff thats on top of shelves gets the worst of it.

I take everything off the shelf, clean the shelf. Replace toys. The toys themselves do get dusty, but that's not nearly as noticeable as leaving marks on the shelf.

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    dusting TFs is way more important than dusting the shelves themselves, especially if the TFs have textured plastic. stuff like mesh textures or a bunch of lines carved in (like the backs of armada prime's legs) are the worst. it's a pain in the ass to get out if it gets set in, and if it's painted, you can't use anything wet or abrasive to get it out without destroying the paint application.

PVC-type plastic (and the paints they use on it) can even become sticky or discolored if they get too dusty for too long.

and that is far more noticable than a dusty shelf.

18. justinRODimus

justinRODimus Well-Known Member

i think the one figure i have a problem cleaning is movie ironhide, my other transformers will stay in their pose if i grab them by the head, but ironhide will never stay in the same pose for some reason. i mean he looks the same but i put him down in he just rocks backward and falls. the windshield/hood part comes off (you know how they do it so that it doesn't break) but the little whole to attatch it to the rest of ironhide cracked and so now its really fragile. i owe all of this to the flimsy-ness of ironhide's heels. anyway, i clean my transformers like every couple of weeks with the rest of my room. (i on't have a huge collection.

19. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This may sound weird but i use Baby Wipes. They work well, their non abrasive, and can get in all the cracks

20. optimus major

optimus major Banned

News Credits:
    mine live on the floor mostly cause they are still used for their intended purposes.....so their dusting and cleaning is getting picked up when i want to play with them and blowing off the dust