Cleaning vintage G1

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Transbot90210, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Ok so here it goes. Being all caught up from Bw-Movie toys and nothing on the shelves to buy I decided to fill in my G1 collection.

Newer toys only suffer from dust that is easily wiped away with a feather duster or Q-tip.

Not so true for vintage G1 that has 20 year old grime on them. I was wondering what can be used to wash away the grim.

Personally I was thinking Hydrogen Peroxide and a Q-tip but I have no clue if it will damage the plastic or leave a residue.

What do you guys do to get rid of old grime on your vintage toys to make them spic and span clean?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated

Thanx
    Transbot90210

P.S. by grime I don't mean sludge lol just the dust that sticks a little stronger and is brown.

2. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I usually use warm water, dip the Q-tip into it and swipe it down a bit hard. If that doesn't work, I heard that some mix glass cleaner and water, I've tried it but it leaves a white residue on my stuff that has to be wiped down when it's dry. For sticker residue I'd try to find a WD40 pen, wipe it down and then either with the tip(recommended) of the WD40 pen or a Qtip scrub it, if you touch the spot and it leaves your fingerprint, all you have to do is wipe the spot with a clean soft cloth, but put pressure behind it.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Personally, I use the kind of stuff you clean bathroom surfaces with (Cilit Bam I think youi call it in the US; that sort of thing). I rinse the part off thoroughly afterwards; I've never had any problems with it.
    For sticker residue, a little tip Hiro Prime gave me a while back is to use lighter fluid; it gets rid of the residue, evaporates really quickly, and doesn't harm the toy.
    Whenever I Reprolabel a TF I use these techniques.

4. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    used soft toothbrush with mild soapy water, then use a lighlty damp clean towel to finish.

5. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

I dunno what works......

But if I would give some advice, I would say.....

Whatever you use, don't use it FULL STRENGTH. Dilute it down a wee bit before you try to apply to anything, if that helps....

Tape off areas with like masking tape or something you dont want the cleaner to touch and stuff.

6. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I heard of that lighter fluid method too, but since I don't smoke I've never tried it, is it really that good?

7. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Actually, it works really well! I've used it for sticker residue several times and never had any damage to my toys. The only down side of using lighter fluid is the smell, but that goes away eventually as well...

8. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    While not as strong as lighter fluid, a citrus cleaner like Goo Gone works well too

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

gotta be careful, though. it's real easy to rub away those old stickers, and I wore away some of grimlock's chrome on his chest trying to get rid of some sticker goo.

10. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

oops, double post.

11. thor20

thor20 Omnibot

Dish soap has always worked best for me. To take stickers off.....glass cleaner. Doesn't take any shine off and if you use Windex leaves no residue.

12. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Thanx for all your suggestions.

Transbot90210

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Goo Gone FTW.

14. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

If the plastic is heavily scratched I'll sand it lightly and then hit it witt a polishing wheel on low speed. White Japanese TF's turned yellow react very well to a carnuba wax. As a matter of fact, I have bought many white TFs for huge discounts thanks to yellowing, and one of the 10 polishes always will work and turn them bone white.

15. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Do you have to take a layer of plastic off the figures to do this? As I understand it, plastic yellowing is a chemical change and reversing the affects is like trying to turn toast back into bread. Have any before & after shots of the change?

16. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Sometimes yes it takes enough polishing that I am sure a small amount of the surface layer is removed. But nothing noticeable to me. I have to say though that so far my luck has only been with several Japanese TF's that were white. 2 Starsabers and a few others. I have no before pics of the Victory saber that I just did, but its bone white. The people that saw it at botcon would tell you it was yellow.