Cleaning up shapeways products?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Rotorstorm, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Recently I placed an order from Shapeways for a new head for an upcoming product, it arrived an while I am very impressed with how the design looks I am not too thrilled with how lumpy and bumpy the texturing is.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to smooth out the surfaces on something like this without losing the sculpted detail?

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    did the product offer polished finish? if not, you can sand it. material is quite durable.

3. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Pick up some filler primer from the auto parts store, give it a couple of coats - not too many, or it will lose the detail. Then polish the piece with fine (#000 or #0000) steel wool. It can be tricky to get some of the corners, I've been tempted to try a dremel polishing wheel but I never got around to it. If the board attachments were working I could but up a pic, but I'm having trouble finding it at the moment

4. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    unfortunately not, that would have been my first choice.

fair enough, might have to give that a go if I find I can't order in polished form.