Cleaning suggestions?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boy Blunder, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

A buddy of mine just bequeathed me with a HUGE box of old TFs (somewhere in the area of 80-90) to split between my own collection and eBay. Now, these are all very excellent display examples, but the main issue with them is that they were either on shelves, or sitting in a box under said shelves, so they're very dusty.

Most of them aren't too bad, being from the recent movie lines, but a couple (notably, ones from RID and Armada) are very dusty, to the point where handling them results in a hand-washing afterwards. This is especially noticable on RID Optimus, Magnus, and Megatron, all of whom either have numerous dark, chromed, or white areas.

What I'm wondering is how to clean these up enough for my own collection/eBay photography. A lot of these have electronics or mechanisms that I don't want to chance damaging with water, so I'm just looking what's best to clean the smaller nooks and crannies. Would a soft-bristle toothbrush be best, to avoid damaging paint/chrome/plastic. Any suggestions are really appreciated!

2. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Enddust and a toothbrush. A clean toothbrush :) 

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For most things, a can of air and Q-tips will do (even for "major dust"). For dirt and grime:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I usually do when I've taken in dirty toys from collections is use a small container and fill it with water. Then, I take a bottle of dish soap and add few drops of it to the water (a little goes a long way). I apply the soapy water with Q-tips, and clean it away with Q-tips and let it air dry.

I've used Goo Gone as well, but very conservatively, as Goo Gone will take color out of plastic if exposed too long.

Attached Files:

4. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Haha I like the visual aides sq7.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I use a vacuum cleaner with the hose and Boar's hair brush attachments. Can't stand the idea of just blowing dust off into the air- breathing in someone else's dead skin and hair is not my cup of tea.

Same way I clean my shelves.

6. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    If there is smoke damage.... the yellow tar on the plastic... then a Mr Clean magic eraser will take that off.
    You have to be careful though as it will also strip paint, and damage stickers. Especially foil stickers.
    Otherwise soapy water, a brush and patience.

7. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Thanks for all the suggestions! I just happen to have a few cans of compressed air, so I'll give that (with a q-tip) a shot. The vacuum would be a great idea, but I don't have the hose or brush attachment.

Thankfully, my buddy's home is smoke-free, so there's no tar-staining on the whites at all.

Additionally, does anyone have any advice on what to do with corroded batteries? A number of the TFs he gave me (RID Sideways/Axor, RID Optimus) have electronics, and I cracked a couple of the battery cases open to find some major nastiness inside. Sideways/Axor still work, albeit weakly and only for a moment, while the others (Optimus, RID Ultra Magnus, Armada Megatron) simply don't work.

Slightly related, I can't get the ROTF Optimus to shut up. :lol 

8. Tuscuttar

Tuscuttar The Cult of Personality

I used a medium-thick paint brush, but only for general area coverage

9. grandizerGo

grandizerGo Predaking

News Credits:
    some soapy water and a medium toothbrush...perfect

10. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    For removing dust, an unused make-up brush would do the trick or something like this:

[​IMG]

About corroded batteries, those are nasty, I used a toothbrush and some Singer sewing machine oil on some non-TF toys before to clean the mess, not sure if it's safe on TF figures though. Someone told me WD-40 would work, not sure how safe that is too.

11. wgoodman

wgoodman Big Bot

Remember not to use anything containing bleach. It causes rust.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

13. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I used Q-tips and Windex or some equivalent.