Cleaning/Restoring G1 Devestator

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hello there. I just received a near mint condition G1 Devestator. It arrived today and it is 100% complete, I couldn't be happier. However, he/they did arrive a little bit dirty.
    What's the best way to wash them? I keep hearing warm water and mild soap. What's the best soap to use? I'm also weary of water rusting the metal parts on him. No problem there as I can use our air-compressor to blow-dry him.
    Also, is there a way to polish up the metal bits?
    All paint is perfect, chrome is as perfect as can be, and all plastic is perfect.
    Just dirty and sticker wear.

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What is it, dust? I usually just use windex wipes

3. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Yeah if it's just grime and dust then I would go for cotton buds (sorry, Q-tips!) with some plain water or mild cleaning product. Nothing too harsh. All you need then is plenty of patience! :thumbs2: 

4. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

What they said. If its just dirty swiffers and damp q-tips. If you are restoring I have a few tips. I turned a $15 G1 Predaking into a mint perfect toy, I have restored many friends toys.

5. Tigertrack

I can't tell if it's dust or dirt. Probably a bit of both. Nobodies mentioned polishing up the metal bits?

As for the stickers, I plan on just removing all of them, cleaning off the residue, and get the Reprolabels.

Just now ordered the complete Devestator sticker set from Repro. Hope it won't take long for delivery. I hate waiting for packages to arrive! :D 

6. Tigertrack

Should I restore Devestator to mint "ORIGINAL" condition, or should I attempt to make him my first custom? I'm thinking about going all out on this one. I've already ordered Reprolabels for him. I'd love to get the entire Crazy Dave upgrade package for him. As much as I may have to take the Constructicons apart to clean them, I'm thinking about doing some custom painting. I was thinking of Tamiya or Testors "Zinc" or Olive-drab type colors. I wanted something similar to his original colors, but something more flat, military-like, and more custom. Not sure if "zinc" is the color I'm thinking of but it is a flat green that is usually found on the inside of airplane parts.
    I'm tempted to send some parts to ChromeTechUSA to re-chrome some parts. Also wondering what the best way to polish the metal back to a nice shine, or just sand it and repaint it.
    Thinking of using a lot of flat and metal-like colors.
    I figured since Devestator is not that rare of a figure, and he has been "re-issued/cloned" it wouldn't be a disaster if this project fails.

Please share me your opinions, thoughts, advice, blah, blah, blah.

7. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I dont know about having parts re-chromed, but I restored mine w/ Windex, q-tips, WD40, paper towels, and reprolabels.

8. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    so you bought a near mint devastator and you want to paint it?

9. Tigertrack

I really want to RESTORE it, but repainting it was an after thought. Might just get the KO version for my first repaint.

10. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got one that was minty but boy was that thing brown. I use a mix of 409 and water in a 40/60 ratio and use Q tips to clean it up. It really cleans things up and doesnt damage the chrome. Ive used it on my entire Devy army

[​IMG]

11. Tigertrack

I'd like to display mine like that, but I don't have the room for three sets of Constructicons. Nice set-up!

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I cleaned up my poor old storage-dirtied Fort Max a few months back. I took off as many parts as I could and cleaned those first. I dusted him off using an inch paint brush and then gave him a wipe with a damp cloth and then used a damp toothbrush to scrub stubborn areas and then damp cotton buds for nooks and crannies. After using anything damp I immediately used a dry cloth or cotton bud on the area to prevent staining or rust. This even worked really well on his stickers, although them being big helped, and I always wiped centre to edge so I wouldn't damage the edges of the stickers. I used just plain water, no cleaning agents. I think the most I did was use slightly warm water as it seemed to work better.
    It took a couple of weeks of painstaking work but I was rewarded with the return of my minty-white Fort Max and no more weird yellow waxy film, dried-on dust or mildew spots.

Really I wouldn't do anymore than that. Unscrew what you can if you like (also useful for not getting water on screws and them maybe getting rusty) and then just take your time to do a good job. Reprolabel as needed.

13. anubis20

News Credits:
    I bought 2 sets of reprolabels for mine but I couldnt bring myself to removing the original stickers. There is just something about those worn out misplaced stickers that I like. Makes it look like a toy that I played with and still have. Back in the day though I only had scavenger. I would transform him into the arm and imagine the rest of devastator :lol 

14. Tigertrack

The only Constructicon I had as a kid was Bonecrusher. I do remember borrowing a complete Devestator from a friend for a few day's. He was fun.
    I don't like the look of worn-out stickers as I like the look of mint items.
    Thank you all for your tips. We'll see what happens. Honestly, I'm probably too lazy to do any real work on him, but we'll see after I've received the Repro-kit.

Just now received an e-mail from Reprolabels stating that my order has been shipped. I should receive it in ten day's time!

15. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Just try cleaning up one of the figures. Maybe after seeing the results you'll be inspired to do them all. A really good clean can make a figure feel magic again.
    Yeah, I get that weird thing of nostalgia connected to seeing the old worn out stickers of a childhood figure. I just pulled my secondhand Blaster out of storage since someone recently kindly sent me his rifle to complete him and his tatty shoulder stickers and scratchy-edged Autobot logo make me think I might have to Reprolabel him. As he's not a figure I had as a kid I don't have any nostalgia connected to him and it would be nice to minty him up and get some personal connection going. He's got a slighty bent head antenna too but I'm afeared of trying to straighten it in case it snaps off or I melt it or something if I try to soften the plastic with a hairdryer.

16. anubis20

News Credits:
    I like minty items as well but the reprolabels have a different feel to them that you can clearly tell they are reprolabels. Maybe its just me but I felt that with reprolabels I was compromising the authenticity of it being a pure 1985 vintage Devy. As you saw I have one in the box, chrome is mirror shiny but stickers are incorrectly placed. Maybe if I buy the original sticker sheets off Ebay I would do it but that gets expensive.

What is the antenna made out of? Maybe putting it in boiling water would help straighten it.

17. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    It's just normal hard plastic, but the kind that stresses. It's only a slight bend but the big stressmark really makes it stand out. And I'm somewhat OCD so it's bugged me since I got it. I might just do the hairdryer trick to remove the stressmark and see how I feel about it afterwards. It's a thin part so I dunno if I wanna take the risk trying to bend it back.

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I use dampened Q-tips and a small container of water + dish soap. If the figure has no labels at all, I'll use a larger container and just soak the figure in the dish soapy water. I'll then use Q-tips to clean the small areas of the figure. If the dirt of grime is too much for soap and water, I'll get the Goo Gone out and use it very sparingly (as Goo Gone will remove paint if you're not careful).

19. Tigertrack

Yea, I noticed that about goo-gone.
    What if I want to remove the stickers, can I just let it soak in soapy warm water for a few hours? It's a pain in the ass to peal them off with your fingernails.

20. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I find it's useful if you're going to leave a figure to soak in water to coat the screwheads and metal pin ends with clear varnish first to waterproof them best as possible against rusting.