Customs: Cleaning question.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by TacomaPrime, Nov 24, 2010.

1. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I picked up a MP optimus prime, voyager Evac and voyager Ironhide last night. The figures are in great condition, except the house they were in had a cat, a dog and it was a smoker house. There is a layer of dust, dirt, ash on the figures.

I ran my finger over some of the white parts on evac and luckily there is no yellowing, but my question is how do I get the layer of dirt and ash off?
    Just dip a rag in water that has dawn in it and gently scrub? I just don't want to remove any paint if possible.

Thanks.

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

warm water and dawn would work. I swear by simple green. that stuff cleans just about everything, and it's not harsh chemicals. For details, i'd use isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip. Just dont' use the 99% stuff. that can remove paint, but probably won't if you weren't scrubbing to hard.

Randy!

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Compressed air and then just a damp cloth , toothpicks for crevices. That's my route.

I don't know the green stuff but if it's a degreaser it may kill the paint on the other hand if it's like pine sol it may work (I've been told that stuff works, never used it).

What about a run through the dishwasher? Taking the smaller lose bits off first

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Great advice on both counts :thumb 

5. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I'm going through the same thing, I have a lot of transformers from a smoker and they have a mixture of cigarette tar and dust on the figures.

I am washing them in warm water with a little pinesol. I let them soak and then wash them with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser on the flat spots and stains, and then a tooth brush for the details. I find the white parts remain stained a bit. I've tried scrubbing these with Oxyclean but I don't think its doing a whole lot.

I don't have the ambition to disassemble the toys. So they still have a smell on the interior surfaces I just can't get too. I've also tried to air out the transformers, and then store them in an air tight container with a box of baking soda to suck up the volatiles.

I'd appreciate any other smoke damage cleaning tips or experiences! Thank you.

6. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey, do me a favor. Stick the white parts in a ziploc bag with a couple slices of wonder bread. It apparently turns yellowed paper back to white so I'm curious as to plastic.

7. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What if you spray them heavily with something like febreze. I can't imagine that would hurt the plastic.

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I wouldn't recommend doing this directly (like 2 feet directly over the product), but I think spraying your room where the spray disperses throughout or using an alternative fragrance in the room (still indirectly) would improve things.

9. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Ya, I once got some bug spray on my G1 Jetfire. It stripped the paint very well. :( 
    Don't spray stuff like that on your TFs. Its a good idea though.

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yeah, seemingly harmless chemicals on other things are still chemicals - and chemicals may react differently to other things and other types of plastics. I've never experienced anything negative with Febreze, as I'll sometimes spray that sort of thing in a room (or a disinfectant odor spray), but never directly on toys. By the time it diffuses with air, I really don't worry a whole lot after that.

Long story short: just be careful what you expose your toys and customs to :thumb