Cleaning and restoring - any tips?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by wgoodman, Jan 30, 2009.

1. wgoodman

wgoodman Big Bot

Especially for anyone that has ever bought pre-owned and maybe pre-played with toys, do you try to clean and or restore them some, and if so, what works the best for you?

I have some G1 toys that I bought recently. Most of them are in good shape as far as paint goes but they are all a little dusty, especially in tight gaps and corners. I have had the best luck with q-tips and a soft bristle toothbrush with water and just a very tiny bit of soap. Also they vary some with loose joints here and there. Some are arms and legs and others are things like the front wheels on Mirage. I'd like any suggestions you can give and please feel free to include things that you would not recommend because they don't work or may even harm the toys.

Last, I have looked but I didn't find an existing thread along these lines, just a few relevant remarks here and there. I think it would be very useful, and hopefully not just to me, if we had a resourceful thread related to sprucing up older toys in more ways than just replacing the old stickers.

Thanks

2. iceclimber

iceclimber Well-Known Member

compressed air can do wonders for hard to reach dusty areas, but be careful you don't blow too closely or you could blow the paint/chrome/stickers right off your G1 oldies.

3. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    I use a brush that I actually bought for my drawing class in college years ago to get rid of dust. It's supposed to be used for brushing away eraser dust and such from pencil drawings, but I use it for dusting my TFs. It's the best thing I've found for dusting my TFs and it works REALLY well.

For tightening joints, I just use super glue.

For whitening yellowed plastic, I'd be inclined to use the hydrogen peroxide method, although I've never actually had to yet.

For restoring chrome, I just use gum wrappers. It's thinner and sticks a LOT better than Bare Metal Foil. Its one drawback though, is that it's not as lustrous. But the fact that it's a lot cheaper and easier to work with and obtain than BMF more than makes up for it.

For touching up paint, I use acrylics and mix my own colors.

4. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's the thread he's talkin about. AWSOME
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/197984-yellowing-problems-might-help.html

5. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you plan on replacing the stickers nothing beats a bath in hot water and dish soap, with a toothbrush! You have to be sure to oil any metal screws/pins afterwards to prevent rusting.

6. wgoodman

wgoodman Big Bot

Compressed air works fine a lot of the time but not so well 25 year old toys where dirt has settled in the little details. That is where the toothbrush has worked best for me.

The moving parts on G1 toys get loose in different ways on different figures. I haven't tried in a lot of cases, but it seems like nail polish or glue might not do the trick in some places.

7. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Since we're on the subject, does anyone here have any experience disassembling Ratchet and Trailbreaker? I need some serious help. :(