Heavy/Scratch: Clay Custom I'm Working on

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by JakmanFirby, Dec 8, 2009.

1. JakmanFirby

JakmanFirby The Jakman

News Credits:
    Hey Guys
    Haven't said anything here for a while

Well i'm working on a movie version of Rodimus/ Hot rod which i drew a while ago ( i haven't posted it up) and I'm using modeling clay. Its not supposed to have and points of articulation and i've started by basically making the general body shape and when it dries i intend on sanding it/ Gah i cant remember the other thing i was gonna say but anyway my plan is to sand it to its shape.. but this is really the first time im ever doing Anything like this so i was hoping someone can give me tips..

Tank you very much XD

If you want i can post a picture of what im up to so far and the picture ive drawn

Cool oki dokes
    First of all, im using this clay DAS Modelling Clay 1kg

Now my concept pictures.. well picture... originally i had heeps but i lost them all.....:(  but the face i have drawn it before but wasnt in this pic but ill draw it later.. oh and unfortunantly, my scanner broke down so i cant get a good pic and also to make it worse the paper got wet so its all .. wrinkled and stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And what i've done so far....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2009
  2. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Post the pic, and we can give better/specific advice. Also note all materials you are using.

Some general advice, you can make parts separate and then attach later. But building up and sanding down isnt a bad process.

3. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, you can certainly continue from this. But first let me detail my process of sculpting:

1. draw all sides to scale of the figure. Front,back,side,3/4front. So if the drawing is 8 inches tall, you should be able to hold your sculpture up to it to line it up and make sure its all correct.

2.Build an armature- take some wire, strong but malleable, make sure it stays the way you want, either by gluing or epoxying it, or both. Then stick it into a small wood base, via drilling a hole about the size of the wire into it. Glue that.

3. build up major body parts with aluminum foil, its cheap and light.

4.build up musculature with small cylinder forms. the key is small.

5. detail, additive or subtractive. add clay and sand.

So really, planning is the most important part. you can still continue, but I would still draw out everything to scale with what you have.

I may do a tutorial with pics to show you my process :) 

4. JakmanFirby

JakmanFirby The Jakman

News Credits:
    cool thanks! XD

ANd Wow! Now this threads a WIP YAY