Classics WST etc.... Ultra Magnus

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by gambit020480, Jun 28, 2011.

1. gambit020480

gambit020480 Banned

Ebay:
    Why do people continiuosly pay large sums of money for any UM when all the ones that have come out at this point are just repaints of Optimus Prime? They don't even give him the correct head to make him Ultra Magnus. Magnus does not have a mouth shield damnit!!

Thoughts?

2. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Wrong, Ultra Magnus' inner robot is just a white and blue Optimus, so he does in fact have a mouth shield in that form.

Look it up on the Transformers Wiki, there was a story arc in the Dreamwave comics where Magnus had to shed his armor.

Here's an image from the TF wiki.
    [​IMG]

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Magnus has always been an Optimus repaint, he just had the armor :)  I don't think people pay large sums of money for him all the time, its just certain circumstances, i.e. WST he was a chase figure, Classics shot up a lot partly due to the CC armor by FP, but he was actually a shelfwarmer for a while :) 

4. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Those comics are what made me into a Magnus collector several years back. I love the look of a white Optimus Prime. I went nuts when the Magnus Revoltech came out.

5. gambit020480

gambit020480 Banned

Ebay:
    Everything you guys have mentioned is all retconned. I am using G1 as a basis of standard. The shedding armor thing is all been added to continuity in the few years, which I personally do not recognise.

Me wants a Magnus with a real face, not some retconned, repainted OP imposer!! They only reason why Hasbro was probably on board with this is so they don't have to retool any OP to make it UM. They can just slap some paint on it and call it Magnus. It is still OP to me.

Even the pic you posted looks silly. It looks like some cheap Chinese KO Optimus Prime.

Edit: I just read the plotpoint for Magnus's armor "shedding" and it is stupid. How anyone can consider this continuity is beyond me. There were no traces of an inner or outer armor to Magnus when he was blown to bits in the movie. This seems like, again, just a way for Hasbro to justify making a UM figure as a repaint of OP rather than a new mold all together as he should be. The whole point you all made before was about the last 1% of UM extensive history in the TF universe. And it was a comic book. And on top of that, a comic book from a company that went bankrupt and will never tell another imposter TF story again.

Magnus has a different head and is about a head taller than Prime, so that must no have fit in with Hasbros business plan for any UM figure. Another case in point is the idea to repaint RTS Perceptor into a Reflector. Seriously? Reflector was three robots that combined into one. Not a "mold brother" of Perceptor. Of course, that would cost more and would cut into profits, so just repaint. Gee.....I can do that myself....

6. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Classics is expensive because of FP and it was only available via 2 pack. I don't know why any other Magnus would be any more expensive than a toy like it.

7. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    I agree that White Optimus is just CHEAP! it's been so long since Hasbro has truly released an Ultra Magnus (Animated not withstanding). It was cool back in like 2002. when Armada Deluze prime got repainted white...because that was right after War & Piece and our minds were blown. but now? Give us Ultra Magnus. not White Optimus.

8. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

I feel exactly the same way about Bumble and Cliffjumper. Cliffjumper is NOT red bloody Bumblebee.

9. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Titanium Ultra Magnus?

10. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

In regards to the armor; I've never really liked the idea, but it has been around since G1...maybe not in the cartoon, but it was obviously in the toy. Unfortunately, that's given Hasbro the excuse to just release a bunch of "armor-less" UM's, instead of releasing many proper ones.

11. Proxima

Proxima Goddess of Darkness

Ah the G1 pure elitism flows ever still. ~chuckles~

You want to use G1 as an example. Here you go.
    [​IMG] (Click the image for the full gallery) Even in Generation one he was a white prime wearing armor.

people need to move PAST the "G1 only" mind set on issues like this. Stuff changes, times change, characters get retconned. It happens, usually for the better. After all, you don't see people complain about Tony Stark being wounded in Iraq rather then Vietnam like he was originally before the retcon do you?

12. gambit020480

gambit020480 Banned

Ebay:
    I agree as well. Technically, Cliffjumper and Hubcap are mold brothers. But, probably for the same financial reasons, CJ and BB are now the same mold.

13. gambit020480

gambit020480 Banned

Ebay:
    No, I don't have to move past anything. I want a G1 accurate UM. That's cool that you like it. That's cool that Hasbro continues to jip us yet some are passive about it. Yes, they jipped us with G1 as well. I never said they didn't. But, ME WANTS A REAL UM head on a REAL UM figure. That is the point of the thread. Not to turn this into a "you need to get over it" argument.

The pic you posted and every other UM made to this point is just another lazy, cheapsake OP repaint that i could do in a few hrs with some testors. Seriously. Hasbro needs to stop jerking off about this and give us a real UM. One head taller, with real UM head AND authentic trailer. Not a cheap repaint. BTW, ripping on people who love G1 usualy comes from people who just were not cool enough to be born yet and live then. Sorry you are still sore about this..... :) 

14. Proxima

Proxima Goddess of Darkness

Really? I grew up with G2. I have no problems and love the line immensely. I just don't think it's the "Be all end all" of Transformer worlds. I was only 2 when G1 came out so G2 was the first time I could get into it and I've loved TFs ever since I first laid eyes upon them.

[​IMG]

From the Same Gallery. It's the "Realy UM head" you wanted. In all honesty, the Idea of them being brothers and looking the same is better to me as the armor is something that went above and beyond that, turning him into a second style of character. I would love for them to release him with a trailer that turns into armor much like City Commander was, but removing the "white prime" would be degrading and a shame to his memory that dates all the way back to 1986

15. gambit020480

gambit020480 Banned

Ebay:
    The fact that you did not come on the scene until G2 is the reason why you are not a G1 fanatic like some of us. :) 

Listen, I understand where you are coming from and that is cool. But, when I think about the fact that we don't have a G1 accurate UM, Reflector, any of the dinobots except Grimlock, etc is because Hasbro feels they have to use a mold at least twice for repaints or it is unprofitable really pisses me off. They act like they don't make enough money or something. Just wait until Hasbro is bought up by Disney like Marvel has been.

I guess it could be waaaaaay worse. :) 

16. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    We do have an accurate reflector. If you don't use the guns with the PE Reflector, they look pretty damn close to dead on.

17. gambit020480

gambit020480 Banned

Ebay:
    To be clearer, a Classics/Universe/Genrations line figure. We need a Shockwave too.

18. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Do you have a Fansproject City Commander?

Also, there have been other Magnus figures in the past decade that were not just white Primes. RiD, Energon, one of the two Titaniums and Animated, among others.

19. gambit020480

gambit020480 Banned

Ebay:
    I know, but I should have been clearer by saying a CHUG version. Maybe a Voyager as this would be a perfect class size for him. You know, kinda like the imposter one we got with Classics with a real UM head. I would just buy a UM and retool it, but $80 is a lot for a figure I am going to cut up!! :) 

20. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Generation One was not just the comics and cartoon, it also included the toyline. And part of that toyline was the original Ultra Magnus figure, which was a white Optimus Prime that combined with a set of battle armour. Just because he was depicted as a single robot in fiction, rather than a smaller one in a battle suit, doesn't make the inner robot any less accurate or official.

If you'd said "I want a G1 cartoon accurate Ultra Magnus.", I wouldn't argue with you, nor would anyone else I think. But the fact you're saying that you want G1 accuracy, then calling the G1 figure an "impostor" is what has people riled up. That is G1 accurate. It may not be cartoon accurate, but that was never specified.