Minor/Repaint: Classics Wildrider WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Ramrider, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Not liking how small Classics Rodimus was, Kusanagi's Widrider bash inspired me to have a crack at my own.
    The only physical mods I've made are to remove the spoiler and pad out the sides of the rear panel they were attached to. I'd also previously widened one of his hand-holes and drilled a hole in the back panel, in preparation for making Hot Rod a Targetmaster (originally courtesy of a modded Armada Liftor).

He's mostly hand-painted with Vallejo Dark Grey, washed over with Inscribe's Pearly Glaze.
    The bonnet panel, crotch and exhausts are all painted with Vallejo Gunmetal, as are the windows, which have been overlaid with a few coats of scarlet glass paint.

I've noticed a few points that need touching up (notably bits of the thighs that are still showing orange), and I've got a few details I still want to add (lights mostly, but I may do his engine block as black metal and try to emulate some of his sticker detail), but I'm up for crits and suggestions. He'll probably be getting a Reprolabel rubsign insignia on his chest.

I'm not sure what to do about weapons. I may modify his original gun since it stashes underneath anyway, but I'm also considering keeping the Liftor Targetmaster for fun, which plugs into the hole I made in the back of his car mode (maybe he can be the plasma energy blaster).

I don't plan to make the rest of the Stunticons, this was kind of a top-of-the-head bash (and Wildrider was always my favourite Stunticon), but I wouldn't rule out the possibility if the inspiration hits me.

[UPDATED] Now includes Targetmaster pics (pics 09-12).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. Drift

Drift Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    targetmastter pics please

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Will do, later. :thumb 

4. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    A little rough around the edges but I like the color placement. I think it if you left more red on places with hinges and moving parts you wouldn't have the paint rubbing like in the knee shin area.

When I made my Deadend from this mold I used black sharpie on all the orange joint areas so if/when rubbing occurred the color would stay. Just a thought but I'm not sure if it's too late to try that. All of these Wildrider repaints are making me want to do one :D 

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Hey, looking good. That pearl coat looks nice on it.

6. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Nice work, my friend! I always love these Wildrider from Hot Rod customs. I really dig the paint apps and colors. My only suggestion would be to add some black or silver details to the alt mode and maybe some detail to the legs in bot mode. It still looks great the way it is, but that can only make it better.

And you know we'll push you to do the rest of the team. :p 

7. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Good work! I like the look of the car mode without the wing and the gray is just right.

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I agree entirely. I may just trim off the paint around the shin flaps, and just leave the red there. And I like the Sharpie plan; I doubt it's too late, and I know I've got one or two black ones around here somewhere. I'll have to dig one out and see how well it works.

Thanks. I do love the pearly glaze; it adds a really nice metallic finish to darker and brighter colours, and pearlescent feel to paler ones. And it often makes the finish look a lot more interesting than a flat coat would.

Again, totally agree. I was thinking a touch of colour on the shins, and possibly the crotch, would be good. I wasn't sure about anything on the sides of the car; he's already got the gunmetal exhausts, and I was worried that racing stripes as well might be a bit over fussy. I'm not quite sure as to how much it'd suit his character, either, and his G1 incarnation didn't have any. I may possibly indulge in a little black or silver pinstriping, but I'm not sure yet.
    You might well push me, and I may well cave... as long as I can get hold of the spare figures and inspiration...

Thanks. Personally, I think I actually prefer the car mode without the spoiler...

9. zonghui

zonghui Active Member

hey those are great colours! the robot parts [arms, chest, thighs] are shiny. did you plan it this way, cos i feel that it would look nicer if the car panels were shiny and the robot parts had a matte finish. but that is my opinion only. wildrider also has a place in my heart!

make the other stunticons!

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

They're not actually that glossy. The fronts and insides of the robot arms are actually just the original plastic; I haven't painted them at all, since they're staying red anyway, and I like the black and silver paint apps already there. The Klear and pearly glaze I've used are glossy, but not really any more so than the base plastic.
    As I said, I may make more Stunticons, when I've got the ideas for them, and the money for the base figures.

11. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    I like the targetmaster. He's nice and chunky. Also plays off the G1 Stunticon big guns in the back of car mode thing

12. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thanks. That's kinda what I was thinking. I could turn the launcher (which stashes under the car) into his scattershot gun, and the Targetmaster dude can be his plasma energy blaster. :D 
    All I need to do now is come up with a name and bio for the little blighter... :ev: 

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I really like your work here, and thrilled that you're back in the saddle :)