CLASSICS: When will we know for sure if its over...or not?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Smokescreen38, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

So is Ramjet/Cliffjumper and the Target Magnus/Warp 2-pack it for the line?

I have been out of the loop for a while but last I heard, there were a couple of designs on the drawing board that are being considered if the line does well enough...

so when will we know? Since we haven't seen any entirely new moulds since Jetfire, Mirage and Grimmy, is it safe to assume that at the very least, we will have a large gap of time before we see new figs?

2. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Probably at Toy Fair in February. If we don't see new classics there, I'd say its over.

Personally, I'm expecting to see some repaints. Hasbro would be stupid not to squeeze some more money out of the seeker molds. There was also that Grimlock repaint/proto a few months ago that looked like Trypticon.

3. butz

butz slippery when wet

Probably not till Botcon at the absolute earliest. Failing that, I'd say after the mvie has run it's course.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'd guess we won't know whether Classics is coming back or not until Botcon.

5. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I believe it was confirmed to just be the proto of Classics Grimlock. Nothing about it looked like Trypticon other than it had purple paint.

6. Pimpimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Botcon is too late. By then, the movie toy line will be going full blast and classics will already be over.

7. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    There was also an all-white version of Astrotrain and a black version of Transmetal Rattrap. Those were more than likely just oddly-colored prototypes.

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    That's the whole point. The line is "ending" after Ramjet/Magnus/Devestator, and if it DOES come back, it wont be until AFTER the movie. So Botcon would be the perfect time to tell us whether or not it's done, because that's only a few days before the movie, and thus prepares us for the news that we'll have new stuff when the movie is over in a month or 2

9. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I've given up on getting toys from stores. Either they all sell out everytime a new shipment comes in or they hardly restock. Eff this. I'll just save up for Transformerscon.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Remeber Last year Hasbro at Botcon said if it goes so well they may countinue it and Guess what in 6 Months well all know If it's gonna countinue

11. Pimpimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not holding my breath, hoping that Classics will continue after the movie line. Once the movie line is done, they'll be ramping up for the new cartoon.

12. Nemesis*Prime

Nemesis*Prime Decepticon Renegade

News Credits:
    It just baffles me how Hasbro can make such stupid mistakes when it comes to some of their most popular properties. They pulled this same bulls*** with G.I. Joe, finally finding a formula that worked with the DTC line of figures and then make it an exclusive. Now they come up with this great concept of releasing newer, better versions of classic Transformers and they pull the whole line in its infancy.
    They could keep the line going for a while with repaints alone, the 84' versions of Ironhide and Ratchet shared the same molds, as well as Prowl, Bluestreak, and Smokescreen. To mention of course the rest of the Seekers.
    No way is the movie line of toys going to be as popular as the Classics line, even if the movie goes megaton in terms of popularity and business at the boxoffice the figure selection does not impress me.

So everyone keep your fingers crossed for Toyfair or Botcon, or some bit of good news.

13. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

Look at how Hasbro handled the Star Wars Vintage line. They came out with a little line that everyone loved.... and a couple years later they brought it back. I'm guessing the classics line will fall into this catagory.

So after the first movie line, and the next cartoon mainline... we might see some classics again.

14. A Lance

A Lance Give me your hugs

That's not a very logical conclusion, saying a line backed by a multi-million dollar motion picture (motion picture is such a strange way of saying movie) is going to be less financially successful then a line backed by nothing but nostalgia and a prayer just doesn't work. I'm sure some fans would like to think that but it's just not how the world rolls.

15. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    They didn't "pull the line in its infancy". Classics was always intended to be a short filler line between Cybertron and the movie. It's done everything it was designed for, and wave 3 is the end of its designated lifespan. The big question isn't "has Hasbro canceled it?", it's "has Classics done well enough to be brought back again?".

16. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I'm expecting the occasional wave of Classics between main lines each year. In particular, the years the TF sequels come out.

17. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Be seeing you...

One positive sign for continuation is that, even before the Christmas rush, Classics were selling out in my area (SF Bay). In fact, the first time I bought any, I could only find two each of Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron and Astrotrain, and that shelf had to have been full of them a week earlier since this was only the second week since they'd been out. Even now stores seem to have trouble keeping them in stock. And it's like this with the whole line, even the minicons.

Furthermore, stores that don't regularly carry TF's, like Frys Electronics, seem to be supporting the whole line, not just the deluxes and megas. Considering how well they've done and the apparent faith retailors have in the line, I'm fairly confident that Hasbro will continue Classics, even if it means running concurrent with the main line like Alternators.

18. daMooseVS

daMooseVS Well-Known Member

We JUST started carrying the Classics lines, otherwise I've been watching local shelves like a hawk for them. Could have bought most of the whole line in one fell swoop if I would have had the cash that day...*is sad*