Classics wave one: greatest of all time?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by roy_flagg00, Aug 22, 2011.

1. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

I just had this though pop up in my head after comparing the primes I have (WFC, RTS G2, DOTM voyager, Classics two pack deluxe prime, Classics voyager prime). Voyager Prime is so much better than the rest it hurts. Classics wave one really was something special. Is Hasbro ever going to put this type of effort into a older collector focused line again?

2. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't think classics/masterpiece are going to stop anytime soon for us to have to worry about if it'll happen "again", ya' know?

But yes, classics are above and beyond my favorite line.

3. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Not sure if Wave one classics were the best. I wasn't around for them, so I guess I shouldn't comment.

But I think the RTS wave 1 and 2 have been very impressive, expecially with the Addition of the newest Generation line. Only problem is that we didn't see too many new molds in them. The molds we did see however were epic.

4. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think Classics wave one was the best, but the whole Classics series was excellent. The only reason I say wave one wasn't the best is that Jetfire was in wave two, and I think he was one of the best figures they've made.

5. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    I was around for wave 1 of Classics. I bought ever damned one of them at retail, this was the line that got me back into collecting TFs full-time again.
    Ironic that it was intended as a "filler" line at the time, to bridge Cybertron to the Movie Line.

6. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love the Classics line in general, but I cannot put them above G1 for "greatest of all time".

7. changepas39

changepas39 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Classics are one of my favorite lines as well!

8. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    I think it's all about the Henkei line, the characters look so much better in henkei like Astrotrain for instance.

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

The whole classics line as a whole was very solid. You can almost feel the difference in quality between that and 2.0, followed by Generations/RTS. Not to say that the quality in recent figures is terrible, but the plastic feels lighter and more hollow, plus they've implemented more of that rubbery feeling plastic, which I really hate. I'm not entirely sure if any of the original Classics figures ever used the softer stuff.

10. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Honestly, wave one wasn't THAT great. We got Prime, Bumblebee, and Mirage, and Jetfire, sure. But we also got Nerf Megatron and midget Hot Rod ;)  Overall I love the line but each wave has had its hits and misses. My favorite time for Classics/Generations was that spread where we got Inferno, Sideswipe, Silverstreak, etc - that "middle" supporting cast bunch. My wallet was so empty. :) 

11. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    Yeah it was pretty awesome. I think part of it was that it was so unique at the time, and we finally got updated forms of G1 characters at a reasonable price and scale. Remember it was the first time we had got a new Bumblebee toy in FOREVER.

Randy

12. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That first wave was a hugely exciting time, but I think they've done at least equal work with some of the subsequent Classics figures. Out of the original 6 I think Rodimus is probably the weakest, sadly.

I don't know if there will ever be a time when there's nothing but Classics on the shelves again. But as long as they're making good figures, I don't much care.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My favs from the first round were definitely Ramjet, Skywarp, Starscream, Bumblebee, Rodimus & Jetfire - especially Ramjet, BB & Rodimus. Prime, Mirage, Cliffjumper & Astrotrain came in second, while Nerfatron, Albino Prime & Grimlock were a far, far, far distant third. And I won't even acknowledge that shitty repaint set that got passed off as Constructicons.

The launch of Classics was such a game changer for me, and I still wonder if I would have gotten back into active collecting again if it wasn't for that line.

14. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the first wave of classics was definitely the best. Its what got me into collecting TF's again. I remember walking into target just as they had stocked the shelfs with all of the new classics line. I immediatetly bought them all up in one fell swoop; optimus, megatron, astrotrain, rodimus, and starscream.

15. MoonStreakr

MoonStreakr Heroic Decepticon

The entire classics line has been amazing with very few, if any, bad figures. Its hard to decide which wave was best.

Pound for pound i think Reveal the Shield was the best (classics) series, even considering all the repaints.
    ..the jazz mold..tracks mold..a nice optimus..lugnut..grapple...wreck gar..dont forget Perceptor thats 50 times better than the jap release..

16. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

I'm gonna have to disagree, only because I feel that the Universe follow-up was more impressive. Sure, there weren't as many iconic characters, but the ones we got covered a wider base than the first line, and gave certain characters (Ironhide and Ratchet, for instance) some finally cartoon-accurate toys.

Generations/RTS is also high on my list, mostly because all the new-mold characters are just a lot of fun. Wreck-Gar? G1 Scourge? Warpath? Lugnut? All amazingly fun toys to add to the collection.

17. Rockdown

Rockdown Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I am with you on this.

18. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    very true. if anything though I'd have to say the recent generations/rts lines have been my favorite as well. it's something special to have so many characters you've wanted for such a long time released under 2 lines running simultaneously, and have their quality to be top notch as well.

my only complaint is the lack of voyager/ultra/leader/supreme characters in the current classics/generations line. if they can sneak some of those in going into late 2011-2012 I will be very happy. I know generations has been mostly deluxes so far (with the exception of the minicon packs), but there's always room to change.

19. Mixmaster

Mixmaster Contains nuts

News Credits:
    Classics wave one, as the OP put it, was a mixed bag in my opinion. Voyager Prime, and Mirage were great, but Jetfire, Astrotrain, and the Starscream mould weren't spectacular.

20. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really don't care which wave was the best, I'm just glad I'm getting in on it now. Better late than never right?