classics vs universe (quality)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by microclone, Jul 7, 2008.

1. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ignoring the designs themselves how are you finding the overall quality of the new universe toys compared to the classics series 1?

To be clear im not talking the design per se but the construction. Personally i felt that classics 1 toys (the core line deluxes and voyager sizes) were very well constructed and looked very 'neat'. im feeling universe deluxes seem to have a somewhat rougher egde to them and perhaps feel a bit 'cheaper', its all difficult to actually quantify but there you go.

also theres no rubbies??? or maybe not on mine.

what do other fans think?

2. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

They do seem a bit on the cheap side. Especially the paint job on Prowl's doors. Atrocious. :( 

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say cheap, just bad quality control. First Classics felt cheaper than these.

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    the early classics had a lot of QC complaints as well, largely related to sloppy paint.

I guess not too surprisingly, in design Classics 1 seemed more like Cybertron toys, while Classics 2 appear more complex, like movie toys. I'll have to get more than just Prowl to say too much either way

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Keep in mind that when Classics were made, oil wasn't $120+ per barrel. Plastic is kinda oil based.

Universe has less to work with to stay at their price point. Doesn't bother me a bit.

6. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Keep in mind that when Classics were made, oil wasn't $120+ per barrel. Plastic is kinda oil based.

Universe has less to work with to stay at their price point. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Yes, but there's also a lot of peripheral sales in the Transformers brand (TF flypaper, anyone) now that gives Hasbro more revenue from licensing. Also note that more figures are being sold due to TF's greater popularity, offsetting the cost of each figure. I don't think they're letting the quality of the toys slip to save money on the costs of raw materials.

7. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    adding to my original point it has to be said though that hasbro have to remain competitive against many other toys in the $10 range and as TF are perhaps getting more complex with time something has to give, a $10 complex TF just cannot be as solid as say a much simpler action figure, like the new 'animated' spiderman stuff.

in 1987 in the Uk I seem to remember the core autobots being about 12 uk pounds ($23 by todays exchange rate) now all things being equal i am quite sure that that price made a far, far bigger dent in the weeks wage than does $10 today (or 10 UK pounds today-the price of a deluxe over there). so TF are getting cheaper but (for eg) the new prowl is not as well made as a similar sized toy from back then. even the packaging seems cheaper now, and with a lack of catalogues (actually universe does have those) and now rub signs things perhape are going a bit down hill.

personally the drop in quality doesnt really bother me too much, as long as the toys themselves are nice designs then thats the main thing. For $10 a pop one can't expect everything. I suppose if hasbro charged $20 for a delux figure then things would be better but people/parents are going to be far less inclined to do that these days.

8. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    I didn't even notice the lack of rubsigns until you mentioned it... Does reprolabels make rubsigns? I might have to order some to get them to all match up.

9. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    QFT, Animated Soundwave's back uses the same paint.

10. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

I understand that petroleum and everything made of it has gone up in price accordingly, but... Personally, I'd rather pay a bit more and get a decent quality figure than stay at a 9.99 price point and have figures that look like shit. Maybe that's just me.

Yes, they do!

11. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    didnt know there was a difference-what is the difference?

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    yes they do. They're very nice, too. I used 'em for my Classics Menasor.

13. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Octain was fine buy Prowl and Sunstreaker felt cheap.

14. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

...Sometimes I feel like I'm invisible. :banghead: