Classics Vs Classics 2.0

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Nov 17, 2008.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Some Internet Guy

Wich do you prefer?

Personally I prefer Classics just becuse they had far better molds and a diffrent look insead of just going directly to g1 they had a weird... awsome tendancy about them

well TFW Ready... Fight!!!

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I prefer Classics 2.0, aka Universe. Classics was nice, but it was always doomed to be a short line. Something we knew from the beginning of it. Universe on the other hand, as the possibility of lasting for several years, and covering more homages than Classics could have. It's nice to finally see Hasbro make a line, that at least part of it, has homages from several past lines and not just G1. Especially the few RID homages that we know of so far. Hopefully there are more of those down the road :D 

3. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Classics was meant to be short and was to fill the gap between Cybertron and the 2007 Movie and I consider Classics and Classics 2.0 to be the same.

4. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Both of the lines have pretty good updates on the G1 molds. However, Classics 1.0 only had G1 characters, whereas, the Universe/Classics 2.0 line is a way to celebrate figures from numerous previous lines and give them some updated looks and in some cases, they look a tad better than the original molds.

5. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 Barely active here

News Credits:
    Same here

6. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    I prefer the Classics figures and the Uni2.0 figures that are obviously an extension of the Classics line. The Uni2.0 line has a pretty clear split between the newer "classics" style figs, and the reused molds from previous Unicron Trilogy lines. I have purchased plenty of Uni2.0 figs that fit both of these descriptions but I definitely prefer the new molds. I may eventually end up selling off figs that are remolded and stick to only buying newly molded figures from the line.

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Taken just on the toys themselves (and so far - Ironhide being the newest mold I have personal experience with) I mostly prefer Classics 1. Classics 1 were basically Cybertron toys of G1 characters (and no key gimmicks), which to me had a good balance of homage and update, and largely non-frustrating, non-annoying transformations. By contrast, Universe reminds me of what an Alternators line might be like at a deluxe scale, with a dash of Movie style and design thrown in (it's been said that Universe is more or less the Movie line while there is no Movie line). They're not so different that they don't look OK next to each other though. Transformations are more complex, fiddly, and occasionally frustrating in spots.

My opinion my change (or soften) with the "25th Anniversary" Universe line, with it's wider variety, and it's looking like the toys like Hound and Cyclonus may have 'tighter' designs as well, compared to the first few waves.

8. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I prefer the design styles and aesthetics of Classics 1.0 but I'm fairly happen with Classics 2.0 - although somewhat frustrated by the contradictory and self-imposed rules (i.e. everything has to be "realistic," can't have too many large tanks but 2 ultra sized white autobot jets in adjacent waves is totally fine etc).

9. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Ditto.

10. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    While it's only a minor one, there definitely is a difference between the Classics and Universe aesthetics. If I had to pick, then I'd say that I like the original Classics style better. I think a couple of the Universe figures match the Classics design style pretty well, but when it comes to guys like Sunstreaker/Sideswipe, Ironhide, etc., there's a noticeable difference.

All in all, I'm just glad the differences aren't so drastic that mixing the two series' would look forced (ie: like mixing old mold Energon/Cybertron repaints with new mold Classics/Universe or Movie).

11. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    I consider Universe a rebirth of Classics, but I agree there are subtle differences in the molds from 1.0 to 2.0. Classics 1.0 get my vote as the better line.

12. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I guess I prefer classics 2.0. Classics had some great figures [bumblebee, mirage, prime] that still hold perfectly well the test of time, whilst others like Grimlock and Hot Rod leave a lot to be desired once pitted next to guys like Sunstreaker and Silverstreak.

13. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is no such thing as Classics 2.0! :p 

The new Universe line is preferrable to me than the Classics line... Classics was "redo G1", where the Universe line seems to have a much larger scope.

14. blackconvoy_D01

blackconvoy_D01 Destronger

Ebay:
    I agree. 2.0 is an extension or continuation of classics.

15. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I agree that 2.0 is really a continuation of classics, the design asthetic has changed somewhat. The Twins and Prowl/Streak are as close to actual vehicles as you can get without licencing. 1.0 was a little more abstract in the alt. modes.

16. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    The tank thing has to with the fact that two jets are obviously different looking, while most people cannot tell the difference between tanks and other armoured vehicles. Yes, that includes fans. To most people, any armoured military ground vehicle is a 'tank', and most of them look more or less the same.

Eg. A number of people in this very forum called Cybertron Defense Red Alert a 'tank', but he isn't a tank at all. Now, if reasonably educated adult fans have problems, kids will have more problems.

17. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i love classic 2.0 as they have more articulation most are the right sizes. In all i love both classic lines. there are the best updates to our fav G1 toys.

18. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    While I agree that Universe is an extension of the original Classics line, I do see them as different. The look and feel of Classics was better in my opinion. I really got the G1 redone feel from them. Not that Universe is lacking in this, but Classics just seemed to do it better.

19. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I view both lines equally really as they are more or less the same as Universe is just picking up were Classics left off.

20. dilectus

dilectus Well-Known Member

RID homages? What RID homages? I consider myself pretty up-to-date on TF news but haven't heard of any RID updates in the Universe line.