Classics VS "CHUG" -- Let's take this to a vote

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Voiceroy, Feb 19, 2011.

?

What do you prefer as the collective term for the "Classics" toyline?

Poll closed Mar 21, 2011.
  1. CLASSICS!

72.4%
  2. CHUG: Classics/Henkei/Universe/Generations

19.7%
  3. CRACK: Collectors Really Addicted to Classics Keepsakes

2.5%
  4. METH: Must Enjoy Toys Happy

3.0%
  5. Insert clever acronymn here

2.5%
  1. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    It could be argued that I'm just being anal and nitpicky about my loathing for this acronym "CHUG" which has crept into TF fandom vernacular as an all-inclusive term for "Classics/Henkei/Universe/Generations."

However, I've also noted that I'm far from being the only fan who despises the term. Why can't we just call it "Classics" to make the distinction (outside of Japan)? After all, that's largely what the toyline has been -- an homage to classic Transformers characters and toys. Furthermore, it was also the original name for the line.

And I understand why Hasbro keeps changing it -- they don't want it to appear to consumers as a collector-only toyline. And who knows...Hasbro might even change it again before production on the line ends.

In the meantime, can we come to some kind of general consensus on this? I suppose if you like using "CHUG" to refer to the line, more power to you. And maybe it's just being a grumpy old fanboy that makes me resistant to hear a toyline -- which overall has been a fun line to collect -- reduced to an acronym that sounds like lowbrow frat lingo. But I guess I can't help that.

So what say you -- do you hate or like the term? Have any other suggestions?

2. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I call it classics. They are all classics. And then you have henkei/united. I dont have a problem with chug, but it does sound funny. Chug...golp, ahhh.. classics.

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Regardless of what you call them, Transformers are plastic robot toys. I don't particularly care about what acronym people use to identify them, but it looks like CHUG is here to stay.

4. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

I definitely prefer Classics. Heck, the acronym CHUG isn't even really accurate anymore since 'Reveal the Shield' is a part of the Classics style. Believe it or not, that's what bothers me the most about 'CHUG'; it ignores RTS.

5. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I don't think it matters, let people say what they want to say, its not like its confusing anyone.

6. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I liked CHUG until everybody started getting all butthurt about it.

I'm honestly kinda tired of trying to lump all these figures together under a label or acronym, it seems pointless when Hasbro's refreshing the brand every 9 months.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I just call them Classics since all of the new figures in these various lines are just continuations of the same theme from the original Classics line back in '06. I also like Generations as a name, but since that's only been in use since last fall I tend to default back to "Classics."

And I think "CHUG" is a terrible acronym. It just sounds unpleasant.

8. kmoua7

kmoua7 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just call it Classics myself, but in this case you can call it CHUGUR Classics/Henkei/Univers2.0/Generations/United/RTS or CHUGRU if you flip RTS and United if you like. Never bothered me either way, they all mean the same thing essentially.

9. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Fucking really?

Haven't we had this exact same thread a bajillion times over. The moment has passed, call it whatever you want.

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Classics just seems to be more fitting because Hasbro doesn't put everything into easy to identify categories.

At times you are going to have a Classics style figure that isn't labeled Classics, Henkei, Universe, or Generations. Do we keep slapping letters on to it as Hasbro releases more and more Classics style figures under different sub-brand names?

Just call it Classics and then we can debate about which figures fit into the Classics category and which figures do not.

11. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Why do we even need to put Henkei into the acronym in the first place? (not that CUG's great either) It's just the Japanese name for the line, not an extra entry. It an exercise in the pointless/redundant. It' like saying in 2001 we got "Car Robots in Disguise", or in 2002 we got "Armicron Lengenda", or in 2004 we saw the start of "Supenergonk", or 2006 we got "GalaxCybertron Force"

12. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Classics. I've hated CHUG, and always will. I suppose people can keep calling it what they like, but it'll never work for me.

Plus, the more sub-lines they come up with to wreck the acronym, the better. :D 

13. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I refer to them as whatever they're from. Instead of CHUG Drift, it's Generations Drift. Instead of CHUG Perceptor, it's Reveal the Shield (or RtS) Perceptor. Is that so hard to type out? No, no it's not.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think Henkei only got thrown in so the acronym could be CHUG instead of CUG.

It makes it kind of crazy then to count the Japanese line that collectors would have to get imported but not count the Seekers from the Bot Con set. But then I guess it throws the acronym all to heck if you had to add Games of Deception to the mix. CGDHUG maybe?

15. smokey420

smokey420 auto-con

I call them Classics, anything from the Original Classic storylines, are called Classics, Henkei / United are just expensive versions.

16. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Classics. Meth would be also something funny, but sometimes you just gotta sleep things over! :D 

17. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I refer to them as Classics/Generation/Universe/RTS. I don't mind the extra work to type that out.

18. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

:lolol  at the original post. Some people should get a life. Wow, some people really must have CHUG so much on their mind, that they have to start the whole "ZOMG CHUG! @#$%" debate again. Get over it. You can call the line/s ILIMA (I like it in my a***) for all I care, you won't see me making thread about it.

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    :lolol  had to vote for Crack

20. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Depends.

Classics Prime is Classics Prime. Not CHUG Prime.

Universe Ratchet is Universe Ratchet. Not CHUG Ratchet.

Generations Skullgrin is Generations Skullgrin. Not CHUG Skullgrin.

I tend to put Reveal the Shield under Generations though. :horse: