Classics/Universe VS Henkei

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Medri Fogmatio, Sep 6, 2010.

?

CLASSICS OR HENKEI

1. Classics

27 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. Henkei

34 vote(s)
    30.1%
  3. Both

50 vote(s)
    44.2%
  4. I don't care about the Classics/Henkei/Universe/Generations Line.

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. Medri Fogmatio

Medri Fogmatio Autobot

Hey folks - Medri here.

I wanted to ask you guys a question, something that most collectors on this forum have to ask themselves constantly.

Classics/Universe vs Henkei.

I am A classics/universe guy, who prefers the US release

[​IMG]

Still, do you enjoy Classics, or Henkei? and most importantly WHY?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  2. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Classics. They're less harsh on my wallet.

3. Medri Fogmatio

Medri Fogmatio Autobot

I need to ask this moreso beyond the obvious different paint styles, and such.

Is it important to have the Henkei sets over the Classics/Universe? Is there something more to the figures besides the paint, is there MORE THAT MEETS THE EYE?

Is it the novelty of having a Japanese figure, is it the pride to be an American and help our own economy? (For people outside the country of America or Japan... what's more novel, having a figure from America, or Japan?)

I am trying to look for the reasons beyond the paint.

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Both lines have their merits, but I voted Classics because A) it's more convenient to buy American and B) I get annoyed when I see people obsess about Henkei. Making threads about how hard they are to find, about whether the line is coming back, etc, meanwhile ignoring the fact that the same toys exist in America for a lower price.

Yes, I realize that some of them look really good, like Megatron or Smokescreen. But others, like Grimlock or Skyfire, look like butt. And some, like Sideswipe, don't even look any different! And yet people insist on only buying the Henkei releases just to be stubbornly consistent. If a figure is too hard to find, then save yourself $10 and get the same thing with less chrome, sheesh. Well, rant over, I've just wanted to say that for a while :p 

Besides, buying Classics supports your country, jerks >:[ (that part is just a joke, alright :p  )

5. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i think some of the hekei ones looke better than the classics so pi picked them up due to that opinion ie megatron starscream astrotrain. and im considering getting the henkei prime ironhide and ratchet not sure though

6. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Henkei. they just look better. I also have a thing for imports.

7. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Shouldn't even be an issue, Henkei 100%:rock 

I understand some people like driving around to different stores hoping that Classics figure they want is there but not me

If you buy the Henkei figure when its first released, you can get it for 24 dollars. Thats double what the Hasbro version costs but.... you get better paint applications, chrome, and just a better overall representation of the G1 Character, its a no brainer.

In my opinion, Henkei wins 9 times out of 10. :2c: 

Don't believe me, check out this thread

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/191530-henkei-vs-universe-pictorial-comparisons-warning-lots-pictures.html

8. Medri Fogmatio

Medri Fogmatio Autobot

@chris

I don't believe in that, I like the vibrant colors that the US version has.

My example in my first post with Hound, I like how he is a brighter green with more life to him. The dark makes him look kinda lifeless.

9. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    Henkei---pro's ...more character accurate
    Chrome!

con's...cost more to import.

that's it...I like Henkei...however i own mainly classics as the Henkei's that i collect are just for certain characters...hound..dark skyfire...

I mainly collect just decepticons...but hound is an exception...that was the first transformer that i got as a kid...got hound and skywarp at the same time...and I just won a henkei skywarp that i will be getting mailed to me in the next week or so....

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Classics. I generally prefer the US releases since the decos are, to my eye, comparable to or better than the Takara releases, they're less expensive and Hasbro didn't put chrome on them. The only exception is Henkei Megatron, which did end up with a much better colour scheme than the Classics release.

11. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Mark another one for Henkei.

12. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I usually go for the Classics because in most cases I couldn't justify the extra money to buy and import the Heinkei version. There however have been a few bots/cons that I felt I just needed the Heinkei version of, due to personal preference I guess. Heinkei Astrotrain, Hound and Megatron would be an example. Others were bought from Heinkei because I had no other choice at the time. Heinkei versions of Thrust, Dirge, Red Alert and Cliffjumper are the example in this case.

13. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well thats cool, I was just giving my :2c:  as to why I buy Henkei

[​IMG]

The bright colors just don't appeal to me. I buy these toys to have updated versions of their vintage counterparts. I don't want bright green Hound, Green Purple Megatron....

Henkei:thumbs2: 

14. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Basically it's all about what you think of the paint job (including the chromed parts in the paint scheme, admittedly), because there are no other bells and whistles that come with Henkei figures aside from different packaging and occasional exclusives (Wildrider, Ghost Starscream, Dark Skyfire, Crystal Convoy, etc.) that for the most part aren't available stateside.

That aside, for me, it's a case-by-case thing. I prefer some Hasbro version because I prefer the paint job (Jetfire, the first release of Starscream, Ramjet), and I prefer others because the Henkei version is simply better, to me (Smokescreen, Megs, Onslaught, Silverbolt, Hot Rod, Cyclonus, etc.) With others, it's harder to explain, but little things push me in one direction over another (the chrome added to Prowl didn't do anything for me so I went with the Hasbro one even though I knew about the complaints over sticky paint; I went with Henkei Sideswipe since the chrome on that one wasn't a bother to me, though I also knew it didn't work for others on here who already had it).

As for your Hound example...to me, the darker green on the Henkei is better, to me, because the color looks richer to me than the bright green on the Hasbro one. The darker green also fits in a bit better with what Hound is supposed to be (a military jeep). The brighter green makes him look like a fruit to me, and therefore a little ridiculous.

15. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

I buy Classics because I don't have alot to spend on toys and like to buy my figures in person at TRU, Target etc. Henkei figures truly are nicer though and IMO have much more of a prescence than Classics which can appear bland by comparison. it's not just Classics/Henkei either. Galaxy Force, Superlink, Micron Legend, Beast Wars, Car Robots all had toys that blew away their Hasbro counterparts from packaging to product.

16. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

Ditto

I can't afford to day double+ then pay about $7 in shipping fees.

About the only 2 must have henkei figures that I bought were the voyager nerf gun megatron & the deluxe henkei cyclonus.

As noted else where some of those henkei figures look worse because the chrome paint was applied in tiny amounts & in weird spots. example henkei grimlock.

17. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's hard to choose between the Hasbro and Takara Tomy Lines, as both have their own shares of flaws. The Hasbro figures are easier to find and much cheaper, but some have rather shoddy paint jobs.

On the other hand, the Henkei line is the way to go for figures like Megatron and Astrotrain, as they have more G1-accurate decos. However, the line tends to go overboard with the use of chrome.

18. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

Henkei for the most part, but not regardless.
    I'll admit that I'm drawn in a bit by the 'exclusiveness' of Henkei.
    Most Henkei will also hold their value much better than their classics counterparts.

However, I'm more than happy to have the new Generations Thrust in place of the Henkei or Botcon versions, as both look worse in my book.
    Not a big fan of Henkei Cyclonus either, the new Cyclonus from the three-pack is my fave.

But I couldn't disagree more about your choice of classic over henkei Hound...

19. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

I go for Henkei most of the time.

My Classics are mostly normal Classics release, with few replacement from Henkei like Prime (better bot mode), Megatron, Starscream, Skywarp and Astrotrain. The rest like Grimlock and Bumblebee didn't looked that much better (worse in Grimlock case for me). Only Mirage grew on me over time and now I wish I bough the Henkei.

From the Universe, I got 95% Henkei. Most looked better than the US release to me (Ironhide, Ratchet, Cyclonus, Galvatron with no neon orange, and most importantly Smokescreen). I also got the Japanese release of the 3 Ultra mold (got Silverbolt and Onslaught quite late and at clearance). Of the non-Henkei that I got is Sideswipe (didn't wanted Chromed spoiler on him to better match with Sunstreaker), Octan (got him free from a friend), and the legend mini-bots (most of the Henkei looked worst).

I will probably wait on the new Generation figures to see it Takara will resume their Henkei line.

20. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Henkei. No question.

Not in 100% of cases (Cyclonus and Sideswipe being a couple of exceptions) but when you look at figures like Silverbolt, Prime, Megatron and Jetfire to name just a few, there is a MASSIVE improvement in the quality of the toy, mainly due to the choice of colours used. It's not just about the chrome.
    How anyone could prefer classics Megs over the Henkei version is beyond me.