Classics Universe VS. Animated

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Glitcher, Oct 11, 2008.

?

Which toy line do you prefer?

1. Classics Universe

66 vote(s)
    65.3%
  2. Animated

35 vote(s)
    34.7%
  1. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    This is it. I need to find out once and for all which current toyline is prefered by the general community. Classics Universe or Animated? Both lines have seen some great figures. A lot of fans are G1 addicts, but just as many clamour for 'Animated crack'. So at the end of the day, which franchise gets your vote?

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    It's a bit unfair, imo, to compare/contrast the two lines, as they are so vastly different. They are good and bad for different reasons. Though if I absolutely had to pick one over the other, it would be Universe. Not that I don't like Animated, but it just seems to fit in with the rest of my collection better, will more than likely fit in with what we get in the future of TF's, and has a nice wide range of homages it can produce. Not that Animated can't do that last one, but a homage to say RID would be a bit more clear in the Universe line than it would be in the Animated line, imo. That and the Universe line, so far, has more figures in it that I'm interested in than Animated does, and will probably even have more that I'm interested in. Especially if we get some new mold RID line homages in it at some point. If we can get a new mold Armada Hot Shot with Jolt, I think we should at least get one new mold for a RID character/design.

3. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly... I prefer Universe. And while part of that is from what amounts to G1 nostalgia... I also dig a lot of the real world vehicle designs and I love the more 'traditional' aesthetics in the line.

Of course, this isn't to say that I don't also love Animated, as it gets as much of my money as Classics does. It's just that before I started watching the show I was only going to buy Prime, Megatron and maybe two or three other characters as I wasn't (and still am not to some extent) a big fan of the aesthetics being used, but... the characterizations on the show and the overall writing and story telling has been so excellent that I decided that I wanted to have at least one of every character.

In the end the only thing that really keeps Classics/Universe ahead of Animated for me is because it's the guys that I grew up with as a kid.

4. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To hard to decide.

5. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    im a classics guy and thats the only line i buy of TF.

6. Darkscreamer785

Darkscreamer785 Waiting For The End

Classics gets my vote, obviously.

As strange as it may sound to some people, I don't hate Animated. It has it's very cool figures like Blackarachnia, Jazz, and Blitzwing; however, I just can't see voting for it over most of the other recent toy lines(aside from The '07 Movie). Their just altogether far too “kiddy” looking.

It's mainly the TFA show that I don't like, and this is an unfitting topic to go into the reasons why.

Classics does have it's bad points like Grimlock, all the pointless repaints, and I just don't like the looks to Silverbolt; on the other hand they still fit in very nicely with the rest of my collection, whereas the TFA's look totally alien (and not in a good way).

7. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Classics Universe is basically what I'm enjoying as a fan right now. Animated seems too kiddie as a toyline. I love some of them but they look more cartoony then any other line.

8. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    I like Animated, but I like Universe a lot more.

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I love Animated, but as with Raven, if I'm limited to one line (as I am to some extent since I want to save money), I'm plumping for Universe, as it fits with my existing collection that much better.

10. alecgates15

alecgates15 DK is Triple Hitler

News Credits:
    What he said.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Must there always be an absolute "which is better"? Can't we just say we like both?

12. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    I have more of animated than classics and universe put together, but I like Universe more at the moment. It's not so much nostalgia for me as it is engineering. The animated toys have truckloads nay, BOATLOADS of personality, but they're a bit too simple. This is really why I like Universe Ironhide and Galvatron so much. They've got lots of twisty bits and lots of things to do that make it fun to transform them. The animated line has got it's share of nice engineering (Prowl, Soundwave) but it's somehow just more satisfying to transform something from universe.

13. Grimlock King

Grimlock King GRRRrrr me hate titles

Ebay:
    Animated!!!!!

I love the Animated line waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy more the Universe/Classics/Henkei line = simply because the toys stay true to the cartoon/comics vice versa! They are fun and easy to transform and functional!

I have some Henkei toys and in my opinion they're just cool to pose around in their robot form and that's where the buck ends and as a big fan of G1 as any other out there, half the toys made in that line aren't exactly the way they were originally. Like Megatron, Optimus Prime, Grimlock who are slight variations of their G1 form. While others like the seekers that do. It bothers me that they can not keep the G1 form or change it up a bit.

But that is my opinion!

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    That's actually something I really like about the Universe line. The fact that their designs aren't limited to one specific fiction, and can pull from any one, any combination, and/or even come up with something new for the character. Homages are great, but I like to see what Hasbro can do when not limiting themselves to pure homages to one specific design.

15. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

I love the Classics line the most! That could be because I'm a G1 fan...and not a fan of much that has come since, besides the movie. It is by far my favorite. I've tried to like Animated..and with the exception of a few toys, the asthetic and Transformations just don't do it for me. Some are way too simple. Plus, I've tried liking the show as well...but the character look just kills it for me. Way too Cartoony and way too dumbed down and kiddie. Thats just the way I feel. Plus, being a G1 lover...the Classics line is giving me my favorite characters, in a way I've always dreamed. The Transformations are more involving to me than Animated, while not being as time consuming as the Alt/Masterpiece lines. Which is my second favorite line behind Universe. I take a lot of satisfaction from them...the Engineering sometimes astounds me! Articulation and poseability are top notch too.... I'm a Geeek for Geewuun.

16. mpchi

mpchi Well-Known Member

As a toyline, I am leaning more towards Animated (coming from a guy who didn't care for anything Animated related). Once I got used to the style, and dig into the toys, there are a lot of great toys in the line. Almost everyone has something very nice about it, with just very few duds. They are fun to transform, a bit more simple, and very accurate to the show. You get more bang out of the buck on each purchase.

Classics/Universe on the other hand is less consistant. On one hand, you got really cool ones like Sunstreaker, Ironhide, Prime/Magnus, the seekers, and a few others. But you also get a bunch of odd ones like Galvatron, Grimlock, Powerglide, and a bunch of voyager releases that either has design issues, or aesthetically not very appealing to many. It has a good mix of good and bad ones as a whole. But the style is more traditional TFs, so its not surprising for Classics/Universe to get more votes, especially a few really good ones are really some very impressive toy (for $7.77 no less).

As a whole, Animated is a better buy for me, but you get some cooler bots from the Classics (Magnus in City Commander Armor any one?).

17. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    I like both. Screw this poll. :/

18. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Classics Universe +1

19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    At first glance, I almost assumed it was "Classics/Universe vs. Henkei"

20. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Where's the option to vote for Chuck Norris?