Heavy/Scratch: Classics/Universe IDW Fort Max

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Unicron9, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

A commission to do a highly articulated IDW Fortress Maximus figure for TFW member butchrecon72, who was an absolute delight to work for.
    In the IDW comics, Fort Max was not the enormous titan base he was in G1, but rather a big tank transformer about the size of Jetfire.
    In the pics I gathered from 2 different comic series, there were lots of little differences in color as well as details. I went with a mix of both styles, but mostly stuck to the darker and more G1 colored scheme.
    Since we couldn't find pictures of his alt mode and the focus was to be on robot mode and articulation anyway, we decided that non-transforming action master style was the best approach.
    This guy was made from an Armada Megatron upper half, lower legs of an Energon Shockblast, and a LOT of scratch building and sculpt.
    He stands about an inch taller than Energon Megatron now.
    Almost every part on him was modified in some way or scratch built.
    Lower treads are adjustable to ensure they do not hinder articulation.
    I kept the left arm knife gimmick. It is shown in the top picture but I wasn't thinking about it as I took pics so the angle makes it hard to tell...
    Some of my reference pics are mixed in the multi-shot pic.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not going to lie- the fact it doesn't transform is a real turn off. Without an alt mode being presented in the comics, that would have been like a free pass for creativity.

That being said, it's a nice build and looks the part. Good choice of parts and colors.

3. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    WOW ... tip: might use Supreme SS lower legs look a lot like on the B&W pic :D 

4. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

With where everything needed to be placed to make the robot mode look fairly accurate, the customer's priorities such as articulation, and not going too far out of the budget, this was the best I could do to make the boss happy.
    I'm not a cocky ego-loaded customizer by any means and I know this figure probably isn't even 90% accurate, but I challenge anyone to pull off one as accurate for under $300 including parts and shipping with a transformation to a decent tank mode. Not saying it can't be done, but within the parameters and budget I did the best I could... and I'm no newb.

Thanks G60, but those would be WAY too big.

5. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    hehe yeah... but try starting with those legs ;)  I'm dying 2 see what u can come up with!!

6. butchrecon72

butchrecon72 Well-Known Member

Dude, That thing looks BOSS. I am quite pleased with how it came out. I was not worried about an alt mode, ESPECIALLY since there are a couple third party manufacturers out there who ONLY produce robot mode transformers for the articulation. I wanted something that represented the IDW figure more than an alt mode. Especially considering I dont play with them, I display them, this one will look Awesome on my customs shelf! BEAUTIFUL job TJ!

7. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

Dude, this came out really really good! Thumbs up!

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Magnificent! Finally the best Fort Max design gets some love!

9. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

That would be out of scale, if he wants this to be IDW Fort Max. But using any of the voyager sized Cybertron Starscream repaints would be a better start. The Dirge that came in the Universe two pack with Roadbuster is already blue, so there would be less painting needed. Just paint over the center.

023_Roadbuster_Dirge.jpg - Autobot Ambush - Roadbuster vs Dirge - Target Exclusive - TFW2005.COM

EDIT: Forgot to say, I really like this! I do think the red part of the legs should have been modded to be guns though, as they are talked about by other characters (drunk Trailbreaker).

10. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Great job man, it looks great!

11. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    Anyone else see this looking like Gustav, the base-sized railway cannon from WWII in tank mode?

12. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Thanks guyz.

See, to me they don't even look like shin guns in the comic pics or concept. Just details similar to what is molded onto the legs I used.
    Oh well...
    Always kinda sucks to put in so much effort and get so many "buts" and "should haves". Customer loves it though, I did exactly what he asked to the best of my abilities, and that's really all that matters I suppose.

13. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    What a beaut!

14. butchrecon72

butchrecon72 Well-Known Member

You could have had it PERFECT, and people will always criticize in some fashion. You did an awesome job with it, it looks great and I am happy with it. If I cared about an Alt mode I would have made it a priority. I was more worried about looking as close as possible to the comic. He rarely transforms so I am not worried about it.

Now if you want to attempt to build one that transforms, let me know and I may be interested in investing :) 

15. leobreaker1977

leobreaker1977 Well-Known Member

awesome man! I think you hit it spot on IMO

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Success is built on improvement.

Not that this needs much. It's friggin' great as is, and he hasn't been shown using his guns so it's not that big of a deal. Plus, it's the first ever IDW Fort Max I've ever seen.

17. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    This is awesome just the way it is. If I had the dough I'd want one the same exact way!! :thumb 

18. Spyne98

Spyne98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks awesome to me!

19. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Thanks doods. I don't mind the criticism. I just finished him last night though so its hard for me to look back at it objectively just yet.

20. Swaldem

Swaldem Well-Known Member

Love it