Customs: Classics/Universe/Henkei Hound -- Shoulder Cannon Challenge!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ShadowStitch, Feb 21, 2009.

1. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Okay, so we all know how good intentions have gone sorely awry in regards to C/U/H Hound's shoulder cannon. It's a nice homage, and you can see that someone THOUGHT about how to make it work... but it just won't stay on his shoulder no matter what.

I've tried a number of different approaches, with varying degrees of success. The only solution I've come up with so far that seems to work adequately is using apoxie sculpt to construct a socket for the peg to plug into as opposed to a lip to clip onto. It stays a little more snugly this way, and doesn't interfere with the transformation in any way, though it's certainly not ideal.

So....my question to the Radicons community at large -- has anyone come up with a simple, foolproof way to make this thing stay properly? I'm sure that with all the re-engineering fanatics around here and all the customs that have been made using this mold, SOMEONE must have come up with a trick or two by now.

I'm calling you out, Radicons! Time once again to succeed where HasTak failed! :lol 

EDIT: See my post below for an update!

Attached Files:

2. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was thinking of cutting a strip or strips if needed of styrene and gluing them into the area where it wedges on. Don't know how effective that would be thou.

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Some of us don't even have this mold yet...

but if i had to hazard a guess, is there any chance of just drilling a hole and setting a magnet in there?

4. ShadowStitch

I toyed around with idea of those tiny neodymium magnets, but I couldn't figure out a practical way to use them to hold the thing together. At least not without compromising some major part of the factory deco -- like burying the magnet inside the plastic on top then repainting the hood. From underneath, the plastic is too thick for the magnets to help much.

Also, the same clip which holds the gun inefficiently on his shoulder serves to attach the gun behind the seats in vehicle mode, so it's kind of important not to destroy that bit if you want to retain that functionality. I thought about dunking the clip in boiling water so it softens, then bending it upwards slightly, or maybe puckering a ridge along the front end of the plug, but I haven't tried it because I'm not sure what that would do to storing it in the vehicle mode.

I experimented with a springy metal clip, inserting it into a hole drilled in the plastic with the hopes that the tension from the metal panel would hold it in place, but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped. In fact, one tap and the gun would fly off the back of his shoulder. The apoxie socket works well enough at holding it snug in place, I was just sort of hoping that some genius here had figured out a better way.

5. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

It stays on flawlessly if you just do what the instructions say: Clamp it into place using his tires.

6. ShadowStitch

Okay, so here's my solution so far.

[​IMG]

I took the principle behind the "shelf" I constructed for my Hound, and I crafted a "Plug" that fits in the area around the shoulder joint, and leaves a little plug shelf to hold the gun securely in its place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm thinking about recasting this in a soft plastic and selling it super cheap, just to cover the resin for casting them, like a buck or two, for people who want them. It doesn't interfere with the transformation in any way, it holds the gun nicely and stays pretty well as-is, but I would think that the final product would be best glued in for best results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think? Worthwhile for the community? Would anyone want one of these doodads? Or should I chalk it up to a one-off and forget the idea?

Attached Files:

7. ShadowStitch

Ooookay, I'm going to go ahead and assume, from the overwhelming silence, that no one cares. Never mind then. I'll just glue this one in and forget it. Thanks! :p 

8. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Sorry. I just don't find it to be that big of a problem for me. The Holo-projector sits a little loose, but the figure sits there on my shelf, pretty much untouched usually.

9. Maximum Burn

Maximum Burn JETS AND HELI!! I LIKEY!

I think I know why it pops out a lot. I am not sure and never did customizations before, but transform him without putting the head up. Try to mount the projector (but don't force it) and you can see the grooves on the projector to make way for the top portion that's slightly elevated from the hood (I guess it's the neck line area). But whenever you try pushing in it in deep it pops back out, sort of like wedging a piece too big into a small hole.

I think that if you save off a little of the wedge piece, you can fit it in there and secure it a lot better. anyways, that;s my theory but I have very little skills or the proper tools to try it out.

I am not sure if I am explaining it, but I can try taking a pictures to get what I am getting at.

10. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    There was someone that kitbashed a G1 missile launcher with the classics one and then used the G1 chrome missile too.

11. Myndbomb

Myndbomb Active Member

Ebay:
    What Rhinox555 said....................

That seems to be the easiest.