Classics/Universe Dilemma

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by shadow panther, May 17, 2008.

1. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    ok maybe im being to anal but I cant decide how to sort my classics/universe. on one hand i want to keep all the new molds (classics and universe) together and put all the repaints with Universe 1.0 but on the other hand I wanna fill out the line by adding in all the new upcoming repaints. also what to do with the upcoming Movie repaint of classics Mirage and dont even get me started on the Chevy swerve i have no idea where to place him.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH im gonna explode

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Well, the Chevy Swerve's supposed to be a Universe fig anyway, isn't he? Personally I'd probably put most of the movie recolour figs in with that lot as well, since they don't have the movie aesthetic.

I'd say put together what look like they should go together, rather than necessarily dependent on what line they're packaged in.

3. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    The repaints say "Classic Series" on the box just like the new molds do, so as far as canon goes, they're meant to be together. I'll be using them that way.

The movie repaints (Fracture, Breakaway, and Crankcase) are made into movie canon by their bios, but the Hasbro designers said that they were planned for Universe. So in this case, you can pick and choose. If you like it enough, you can put it in Universe (they certainly dont fit in with the movie guys), since it was designed that way, but since it isnt Universe canon, you dont have to be a completist with all 3.

As for Swerve, his instructions have the "Universe 1.0" label, but he definitely doesn't fit in with that line, since that line didnt use new molds. Aesthetically, he fits in with the movie line AND the Universe 2.0. But since it says "Universe" on him, you can cheat him into 2.0, I guess.

4. shadow panther

News Credits:
    sounds about right, what about the Wal-Mart big daddy bunch, the TRU Movie Wingblade Jetstorm, Mudflap and Red Alert, they dont fit in with the movie line. at least the target scouts they tried to pass off as S7 vehicles.

5. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    Throw 'em in Classics. Thats what I do with all the non-movie mold repaints.

6. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Funny I'd put them in a trash can.

7. shadow panther

News Credits:

including the S7 scouts?

8. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Well, I can't say what's best for your collection of course, but I plan to handle it thusly:

-Fracture, Breakaway and Crankcase are goin' with Classics/Universe 2.0 (heretofore referred to as Universe2), just like their Wal-Mart exclusive predecessors Big Daddy, Jolt, Sunstorm and Grindcore did. I have most of my Target Scouts (even S7) and TRU exclusives (like Wingblade) displayed with AEC. Target Scout Crosshairs is displayed with Classics ("I'm not really an Outback toy, I just play one in this collection"). But then heck, I even have Cybertron Swindle and Armorhide intermingled with Classics, as well as Real Gear Photon (boy did the Botcon comic help me legitimize THAT).

-Acid Storm is of course going with Universe2.

-I'm probably skipping Inferno, but Mudflap is going with Universe2 as well. I may faction-swap him into Erector.

-Heavy Load and Blades are going with Universe2, Blaster is going with Shattered Glass (but if I didn't have that set he'd go with Universe2 as well)

-KMart minicons are going with Universe2.

-The Target two-packs are a toughie. Ratbat and Roadbuster will definitely be going with Universe2, but as I already have Botcon Springer and Dirge, I think those two (the Evac and C. Starscream repaints) may be going with AEC.

-I don't have Swerve, but if I did, I think he'd fit in fine with either Movie or Universe2 lines. He straddles the line between them well enough. I think he may be a bit closer to Universe2 (his aesthetic looks very similar to Prowl and Sunstreaker, even if he lacks a humanoid face).

Luckily, there aren't any "collection poice" out there (as far as I know) who will penalize you if you display your toys improperly. :) 

9. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    Yeah. I don't have too much movie (most of the main cast and some repaints and Landmine) stuff, and I'm a Geewunner (well, more BW than G1, but you get the point) so I just throw them all in Classics. Most of my collection IS mostly Classics, anyway.

Besides, the store-exclusive repaints are all homages to other characters:

Big Daddy = Big Daddy (G1 micromaster)
    Divebomb = Sunstorm (G1 seeker)
    Jolt = Jolt and/or Road Hugger (G2 decepticon and G1 micromaster, respectively)
    Grindcore = Crush-Bull (G1 micromaster)

Jetstorm = Octane (G1 triplechanger)
    Wingblade = Springer (G1 triplechanger)
    Mudflap = Erector (G1 micromaster)
    Inferno = Inferno and/or Tote (G1 autobot and G1 micromaster, respectively)

Fracture = Crasher (Female gobot)
    Breakaway = Getaway (G1 autobot)
    Crankcase = Crankcase (G1 decepticon)

10. shadow panther

News Credits:
    yeah i guess thats how i will do it

Classics 1.0 new molds and Wal-Mart Energon Devastator repaint
    Classics 2.0 new molds and upcoming universe repaints
    all movie repaints from previous lines except the Target S7 Scouts
    Chevy Swerve

sounds about right eh?

11. shadow panther

News Credits:
    guess so

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    send it to me. ill sort him out fer ya.

13. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

Me personally I want to build my classics with a G1 focus. (I'm 34 and grew up on G1 so sue me!) That being said I am currently using certain figures as G1 Classics characters to build up my Classics Autobots. But as Universe is released I may put the "borrowed" Cybertron figures back with my Cybertron collection (except for Blurr).

Walmart Devastator = Devastator
    Movie Big Daddy = Big Daddy
    Titanium Rodimus = Rodimus Prime
    Cybertron Landmine = Scoop
    Cybertron Blurr = Blurr
    Cybertron Armorhide = Pipes
    Cybertron Quickmix = Quickmix

Aside from getting the original mold releases of Wave 1 & 2 I will be using future Universe releases as follows for my Classics collection;

Target Exclusive Blades = Blades
    Target Exclusive Roadbuster = Roadbuster
    Walmart Breakaway = Getaway
    Walmart Crankcase = Crankcase
    Universe Acid Storm = G1 Rainmaker Seeker

Some of the other future Universe figures I will put with the line the mold came from because I just like the molds and might as well add some diversity to my Cybertron collection.

Heavy Duty > Cybertron
    Blaster > Cybertron
    Dirge > Cybertron
    Drop Shot > Cybertron

14. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

This is how I have mine planned.

15. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    all of those are official Classics that represent those characters, so you dont have to "pretend" with them like you do with the Cybertron guys.

Also, Blades isnt a Target Exclusive, Springer is.

16. shadow panther

News Credits:
    yeah i think i will do it this way

Classics 1.0 new molds and Wal-Mart Energon Devastator repaint
    Classics 2.0 new molds and upcoming universe repaints
    All movie repaints from previous lines...................
    EXCEPT the Target S7 Scouts
    Chevy Swerve

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I feel lucky, because when 2.0/Universe comes out the only figs I'll have to worry about are Sunstreaker, Hound, (when he comes out) the legends and maybe Sideswipe.:)  I'm going to try and assemble them with Mirage and Bumblebee. The rest of Universe sucks ass.

18. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm short space, so I'm keeping all the movie repaints with the movie figures, expanded universe FTW.

The Universe figures...if I had space I'd display Universe 1, Universe 2, and the Dollar Store repacks (that I bought under their original monikers, Energon, Cybertron, Classics w/e) in one giant cluster-fuck shelf.

For now though, I'm keeping movie stuff out on display, and I'll make a shelf for Universe and Animated when they come out, retiring the Movie stuff until next year.
    DN

19. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Is the Chevy Aveo Swerve Exclusive going to be made into the Classics product line?

20. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

Ooops, my bad. For some reason I thought Universe Blades was going to be a Target exclusive.