Minor/Repaint: Classics/Universe Dead End - My First Custom Figure!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by TerminalHipster, Feb 16, 2010.

1. TerminalHipster

TerminalHipster Member

My first ever finished custom figure, that is... of course there have been a few false starts before this one. Starting from a Universe 2.0 Sunstreaker, as many others have done, I decided I wanted to go a slightly different route than the other Dead Ends I had seen and based my version of the Binaltech/Alternator figure rather than the red G1 deco. I used Squadron putty and a lot of sanding to fill in the grooves on Dead End's roof and trimmed down the shoulders just to differentiate a little between him and Sideswipe/Sunstreaker... a little tweak but I think it makes a big difference. The headlights are painted silver underneath, then painted with Tamiya clear red. The same clear red was used on the inside of the windshield.

I'm still waiting on some waterslide faction logos to finish this one off for good, and I'm not 100% happy with the finish I got using Krylon's Crystal Clear finishing spray, but overall I'm pretty happy with this as my first custom fig.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

That's awesome. The BT/Alt color scheme really works on this mold.

3. MAIDEN JAPAN

MAIDEN JAPAN Banned

News Credits:
    Awesome! This is an exact style I was going to do for my next custom.
    Can you take a photo with the reversed body like Sunstreaker?

4. knownasx

knownasx onebotarmy

i love that finish that u have goin on.. kinda gritty texture to it is awesome IMO

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'd like to see a Sunstreaker with the the Alt black stripes. That would look really nice.

6. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

The alternator colors work very well. I like it alot. I'm also being reminded of Optimus Primal by the scheme as well. Great job on your first finished custom.

7. TerminalHipster

TerminalHipster Member

Thanks for the kind words, guys! :) 

Sure thing. I'll snap a couple when I get home from work tonight, have them posted by morning. :) 

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of how that ended up looking... I mean, I kinda like it, and I think it'd be a neat look for a character like Wreck-Gar or Blot, but I would've preferred something slicker for Dead End. I think the can of Krylon Crystal Clear I have is pretty old, but I've never used it for this before so I don't know if that's just the way the product looks. I'm planning to try something different for my next custom.

8. prime roller

prime roller introspective reflector

News Credits:
    This really does look excellent. The way you colored the windows and headlights really gives it a perfect Stunticon evil look. Good job on that first custom!

9. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love it. I would totally buy this repaint.

10. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The paint underneath the clear looks pretty nice, great job. As far as the clear goes, I've noticed a couple things with aerosol clears that make me avoid them. Either they're too thick, which can cause what happened to yours (heavy, uneven texture, doesnt spray well) or they're too thin, with too many solvents and propellants that eat all your hard worked hand brushing. If you want a high gloss smooth finish, and you cant go with a spray gun, try Top Flite Lustrecoat from a hobby store. It helps if the figure is in pieces so you dont get a lot of overspray, but with a medium speed sweep left to right, about 6" away, you'll only need 1 coat maybe 2 and it'll be shiny like glass. You can even wet sand this one down with fine sand paper and recoat it if you wanted to (maybe just the alt mode, bot mode looks fine). Good thing about paint, its only permanent if you want it to be. Congrats on your first post, keep em coming!

11. TerminalHipster

TerminalHipster Member

Thanks for the tips, Jbarb. :)  I was planning on trying out Testor's Glosscote and Dullcote sprays on my next custom, but maybe I'll try to find the Top Flite instead. The hobby shop I get my paints at has everything under the sun, so they ought to have that.

I don't think I'll try refinishing this one, though. Onward to bigger and better things, y'know? :) 

12. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I hear ya, a lot of times I end up going back to some of them or completely redoing the concept on a new figure somewhere down the road. Atleast you're off to a good start, keep the ball rolling. I've tried lots of different paints, primers, and clears, let me know if you get stuck with anything. If I cant help, there's lots of people on here who in my experience are more than willing to.

13. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Man, I really love this. Nice idea, and nice execution! I've always had a great fondness for BT Dead End's color scheme, and as others have said, it looks excellent transposed to this mold. It's also always nice to see interpretations of characters that aren't slavishly G1-based.

Great work!

14. autobotchico

autobotchico Well-Known Member

look excellent I like what you did here

15. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

I really like your paint scheme and execution. Too bad you're not too happy with the clear coat. But I definitely look forward to seeing what you'll do next.

16. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    great work on this one man! I'm really digging the alt homage on this guy. Makes me wanna try it myself. Right after I try the Armada Wheeljack repaint.

I would also second the notion of seeing him with the Sunstreaker transformation even though I like the Sideswipe one more (that's the one I'm using for Arm WJ)

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Agreed! :thumb 

If you're worried about the texture of the car body, I'd recommend lightly wet-sanding the car shell, then applying a top coat mixed with Future. That'll give you a VERY click top coat :) 

18. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

Oh, yes! future is like the make-up that wins the beauty-contest. AND keeps the model from scratching. SQ7 got me into using it and it's awesome. It's on par with duct tape in my book of useful things.

19. TerminalHipster

TerminalHipster Member

Thanks again for all the kind words and advice guys. :)  As promised, here are a few shots of the reverse transform for my Dead End figure. Gotta admit I'm not a big fan of this transformation; I've always found that the roof/windshield chest on Sunstreaker just looks a little too cumbersome for my taste.

I just did these photos quick and dirty when I got home from work last night, so the hands are on backwards and if I was going to keep him this way I'd swap the shoulders too, since I put some paint apps on the other sides of 'em. These are mostly just to show how he looks in Sunstreaker bot mode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Oh damn, that's hot. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.